Help With Weight Range

wallboy

I have always flew wings at the top end of the weight range or slightly over as it feels more safe and less likely to have a tuck.

I have now seen a wing I like with the weight range of 115kg to 140kg and my all up weight with all my kit and motor with a full tank would be around the 120kg mark.

Do I go for this wing or find one slightly smaller so I am in the middle of the weight range?

I am really confused what to do :|

Dont count your fuel in the weight range as you will end up with an empty tank which weighs nothing.

What wing is it?

never understood why people say this?

why would you not include the weight of fuel in your all up weight? its weight the wing will be carrying, its not like you are going to be leaving it behind. :D

Only count your fuel when buying a reserve.. wing is everything except fuel..

It's alway best to fly in the top or near the top end of a wings weight range..

I have personally flown wings at the lower end of there weight range for a record attempt. But i wouldn't advice it :wink:

Why are you thinking about flying at the lower end? are you trying to lower your fuel burn?? flying lower in the weight range will make the wing slower feel heavy and unresponsive...

:explode:

I have personally flown wings at the lower end of there weight range for a record attempt. But i wouldn't advice it :wink:

Why are you thinking about flying at the lower end? are you trying to lower your fuel burn?? flying lower in the weight range will make the wing slower feel heavy and unresponsive...

No its just that I have been offered a decent wing at a decent price but unfortunately that's what size the wing is. I wish it was a size smaller so I was in the middle or more near the top of the range, hence asking the question as im not 100% sure what to do.

Morgy I said why not when, why don't you count the fuel?

Just add ballast. People do it all the time to deal with weight fluctuations or different conditions / objectives. I know some people with smaller wings for when they want to fly faster, dabble with acro or feel safer in strong conditions, and pull out their 2nd larger wing for when conditions are light and they want an easier launch or go the distance on a long xc. Seems cheaper to just have the one wing and switch ballast on and off, if you don't mind the bulk on your lap

Just add ballast. People do it all the time to deal with weight fluctuations or different conditions / objectives. I know some people with smaller wings for when they want to fly faster, dabble with acro or feel safer in strong conditions, and pull out their 2nd larger wing for when conditions are light and they want an easier launch or go the distance on a long xc. Seems cheaper to just have the one wing and switch ballast on and off, if you don't mind the bulk on your lap

Yeah I thought about adding ballast but my motor with a good tank of fuel already weighs in at 35/36kg which is already quite a lump to try launch on some days. Just imaging what it would be like with an extra 20kg of ballast lol

Maybe it would suit me more to just use it for the calm summer months where there is nothing more than a little breeze?

Dont count your fuel in the weight range as you will end up with an empty tank which weighs nothing.

What wing is it?

never understood why people say this?

why would you not include the weight of fuel in your all up weight? its weight the wing will be carrying, its not like you are going to be leaving it behind. :D

Beacause it could leave you under weight on your wing when the tank is empty.

Its not the max weight thats important its the minimum weight.

What does the maximum extended weight refer to? E.g. as with ITV wings. Mine lists the following:

Minimum in flight weight - 110Kg

Maximum in flight weight - 150Kg

Extended Weight limit - 180Kg

I'm 90Kg, the motor is 30Kg, Clothes, Boots, helmet, camera, radio etc maybe another 15Kg... so all up I'm somewhere around 135Kg (not including fuel... yet). Am I too light on my wing or about right?

What does the maximum extended weight refer to? E.g. as with ITV wings. Mine lists the following:

Minimum in flight weight - 110Kg

Maximum in flight weight - 150Kg

Extended Weight limit - 180Kg

I'm 90Kg, the motor is 30Kg, Clothes, Boots, helmet, camera, radio etc maybe another 15Kg... so all up I'm somewhere around 135Kg (not including fuel... yet). Am I too light on my wing or about right?

Not being funny but look at the minimum weight for your wing and you decide!!

135Kg + ~6Kg for the wing gives 141kg - I'd say you would be okay... BUT it's totally up to you.

I was corrected a while back by ozone to include the weight of the wing in these calc's as well :-)

From a safety perspective:

Light = less severe reaction to collapses when they happen

Heavy = Less chance of collapse but more severe when they do occour

By the sounds of it you will be within the wings certified weight range with and without fuel.

I wish I could get a wing that was certified for my weight. Sadly, I've eaten too many pies. :roll:

Hello.I have the same problem.

I am 115-120kg all take off weight with the wing but no fuel and i want to buy Nucleon WRC wing

I am between WRC 27 (90-130) and WRC 29 (100-150).

At 27 i am in the top of a range and at 29 i am in the lowwer range.

I want the wing for XC not slalom.I have Sky100 with 50 kg of thrust.

Which one to choise????

Thanks a lot.