wheels

Quinoxyfen

I have fixed some wheels on my volution, just a cobble up at the moment to see if it would work, with cable ties but it is secure and will take the full weight plus wing tied to the cage. For a permanent attachment I will make up a small bracket to fit in the bottom tube then weld a small stub axle on each one.The wheels came off an old pressure washer I had lying around (don't buy a Stihl washer they are carp!)Thoughts?

57336422c8f5a_volution108(800x600)(800x6

573364230ecd2_volution110(800x600)(800x6

Edited by Guest

A single axle would mean fixing/drilling to the main uprights,it would also make it hard to get the tank out without it being removable, a bracket made with a bit of the right size tube and curved upright fitting to the same profile as the existing tube would mean no drilling on the frame as it could be held in place by a clamp. It would also allow me to move the axle lightly further forward which will give more ground clearance when it is in the 'towing' position.

You'd have to get rid of those little rivets that hold the rubber base pads on , but you could then weld a couple of short spigots on the back of the axle which would slide into those tubes.

Then you could simply slide them out and remove the axle before flying. Would also maximise your ground clearance

Mind you , if you could develop a light enough version , I could see some benefits to leaving them in place for flying and ......landing, that would definitely aid my style of arrival.

Better not take this further for danger of sparking the debate as to whether you'd then need a full microlight licence ;)

I had thought about doing that but the wheels will then be be taking the weight when it's upright rather than it resting on the frame, this would make it more likely to tip backwards when just plonked on the ground. It would also mean a heavy landing (at which I'm pretty good!) would bend the wheels and axle and transmit this force into the frame. I suppose if the wheels were lower it would be possible to do a wheeled landing especially if wearing a pair of roller skates or something!

Have you had a flight from your new field away from Simon's reassuring presencce yet!?

So you are fixing them permanently. I thought it would just be a way of saving carrying it from the car into the middle of a field, say, then you'd take them off to fly.

Good point about it tipping over, though.

Not flown away from Memory yet, only got back to flying weekend before last, and the time away showed, then a good flight last weekend. I want to nail standing up landings, habitually, first.

• 2 months later...

All this wet weather has given me chance to fiddle about in the workshop, this is the Mk 3 version, they will stay in place when just wheeling it around but would need a fixing method to fly with them. each one is about 300gm including the wheel.

Better pictures on the post below

573364241567d_ImageUploadedByPMCForum139

5733642417ea4_ImageUploadedByPMCForum139

573364241a2cd_ImageUploadedByPMCForum139

Edited by Guest

Looking good, James! You might be better off with floats, though!

You're high enough to be above all the stuff on the levels, though, aren't you?

I've been using the wet weather too, modifying one of those ally hop ups to work as a trolley for getting the stuff out to the field and then a decent height platform once out there, to save grovelling around in the mud to get into the harness.

I've gone for a slightly bigger wheel (260mm dia) to cope with the field grass, but a little more weight isn't an issue for me.