Bailey V3 engine life expectancy

guy_walker

Hello everyone. I am well aware that there are people with axes to grind etc, but I was recently told that my Bailey v3 (all rebuilt by Bailey) was likely to fail again due to over heating and design flaw etc. Could any Bailey v3 owners with piston seizure experience get in touch, or indeed those who have had reliable service time let me know the hours their machines have achieved. My v3 scuffed its piston after 15 mins running, and oil was not low. Just trying to make sense of the pattern here.

I bought my V3 second hand. It had been updated with the V4 crank and seals, but I believe the piston is original. I have flown 10 hours since I got the motor, with no problems. The engine shows no signs of overheating, no smell after an hours flight.

Was your piston scuffed over a patch, or a few distinct scratches?

Hi Pete, I didn't see the damage, Bailey swapped the piston and barrel free of charge (thank you Paul). We came to the conclusion that oil starvation was not to blame, as oil level was correct. I build vintage car engines for a living, and therefore engine issues are my daily fare! It could have been a multitude of factors that caused the failure of the oil film between piston and bore, but not having done the post mortum myself, I cannot really say what went wrong. Just ran slower and slower whilst trying to launch, then no start.

Hi

I know it's not a v3 but my v4 had around 600 hours on when I sold it two years ago (ish) it's still flying every weekend without issue (touch wood)! My v5 has had a 500 hour rebuild which I was advised it didn't need it but as I fly almost everyday I wanted it doing anyway. It now has 700+ and is still perfect. Just my 2 penneth!

Cheers

Rob

Sad when someone tries to slate a tried and trusted design with rumours that clearly have no truth.. There's many a happy Bailey owner who has many many more hours on than 200 let alone 20.. Try saying the same with many other brands. Not to mention the back up you get if and when something does go wrong, the truth speaks for itself.. Small minded rumours like those are usually a result of a very small minded, small penis!

Hi mdr,

Thank you for your comments. I do hope people follow this thread for what it is, ie disproving a rumour. Anyone with a different experience, do please come forward. The chap who stated this view with certainty may have an agenda, I like to get a wider view. Out of interest, I have fitted temp stickers to my unit and will monitor how hot the cylinder head and crankcase get during usual operation, and will post results for people's interest. Please, do post if you have a view.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never had an issue... Ok hardy a hardcore flyer but regular and all year.. There's not a motor out there that won't suffer some issue or other at some time but find me any manufacture that builds maintains and looks after it's customers anything like Bailey does and I'd listen... I've heard all the horror stories about other manufacturers, I won't be changing to ANY in a hurry.. Mine starts, runs well, looks good, is frugal and powerful enough and light enough for my needs.. I've trashed mine once and thanks to great supply was all sorted in just a few days.. And what I couldn't fix with parts was done FREE at the factory by Paul Bailey himself.. Not many around like him I'm sure...