1st UK Slalom Comp

morgy

Ok just to help you guys slow down a bit, I have been flying for 2 years now I took training from a few instructors (no name but money was lost buy poor instruction ) I finally settle with Nigel at ukppg I found he's style the best for me.

I took the training to the level I was happy with, then took take it to the next level on my own. Sooooo if I wanted to try this event out what would I have to do to be eligible.

I have noticed though out the tread that it's getting quit hot due many diferance in what side of the fence you all sit on .

My post has no gain other than what your reponce is regarding bhpa requirements.

All that aside it's been a funny 20mins reading the fun and game . As no one knows me on here well enough to stick up for me please be gents.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say I have 30-50 hours in my flight log . I am at level were I take of first time and always land on my feet.

So if I wanted to be viewed by bhpa to sort it all out what's the next step. I am midland based and see no bhpa ippi or Ppg clubs near me. Traveling 100+ miles is not any good to me now I am at a middle of the road standard.

you will have to do some flying if you use the alternate entry scheme, you have to show you can take off fly a couple of circuits of the field and land with good control, you will also have to do a cross country, the examiner will give you a map with about 3 waypoints on it, you will have to take off and hit all three then return to the field, your flight will be logged, usually by a gps attached to your frame, your log will be checked when you return.

Is that actually the norm ??

I know people who did not have to do any flying at all ?

SW :D

I guess its up to who the examiner is, if he has already seen you fly and knows you are competent then theres nothing to prove by flying again.

oh and you have to land within 20 metres of an object placed out in the field :D

Anyone still following this thread should go and read Francis comment on the main paramotor forum as it explains quite clearly why we have to make this event solely for BHPA members and also the reasoning behind the no spectators rule.

Anyone that thinks they can just host this type of event themselves your very wrong.

http://www.paramotorforum.co.uk/viewtop ... 9&start=20

Post is the 8.47 am one.

Edited by Guest

Here is a copy of that text. :-)

eaglegenie wrote:

Mainly because it excludes non BHPA pilots and members of the public.

(due to insurance and marshalling the public)

Difficult to understand why a BHPA event that is set up to cater for members of that club should raise any interest at all from anyone outside that club?

And most of the comment was critical of the eventbefore any explanation was asked for or given.

What was not immediately seized upon was the fact that this is the first EVER attempt to bring a slalom competition to the UK.

What was generally not understood is that flying within 500 ft of people and buildings is not legal. A slalom competition is by its very nature IS "flying within 500 ft" of the marshals and scorers and probably the other competitors and any spectators (yes spectators who are club members ARE invited).

The only way it can be done legally (this is statute law not BHPA regulation) is with a CAA authorised exemption from low flying rules.

OR under the new general exemption contained within the latest CAP 403 update soon to be published.

That document expressly states that "At a BHPA organised event....blah blah .... competitors shall have a BHPA pilot rating and 45 hours flying experience.......blah blah..........within a specifically designated arena... blah ....of such and such dimension....blah...with such and such crowd separation........etc etc...."

It does NOT include any clause for any other club or non BHPA UK pilot. So it is simply not legal for an event organised under that section of Air Law to permit non BHPA UK participant competitors.

Regarding the view that no spectators are allowed, again a misinterpretation prevailed. The event is advertised as "NO specttators" expressly to exclude the general public from the invitation to attend. There will, of course, be spectators, it is an airfield that has public access. What the organisers are not accepting is any responsibility for their attendance.

Finally to further clarify the UK competitions organisation.

Any competition pilot whether or not a BHPA member is represented by a committee called PPGCOMPS which was set up completely independent of the BHPA. Anyone in or out of the BHPA can attend its AGM and influence its structure and policy.

Firstly its comps were insured by BMAA and latterly by BHPA. It always had to abide by the conditions of its insurers. It remains an independent body which, last year, turned over in excess of £10,000 in sponsorship and other fundraising (e.g. grants from BMAA and BHPA) and spends that money on behalf of all UK competition pilots and funds British paramotor team in competition abroad. At present it runs its comps througfh the auspices of the BHPA Competitons Panel, but remains accessible to all UK pilots through its forum on yahoo groups.

It was this committee that lobbied for the low flying exemption and worked extremely hard to have all competitions included in the new law. The CAA refused to contemplate any organisation other than the BHPA being named in the document. The reason being the BHPA is the only national organisation that regulates and licences instruction in paramotoring and which has a comprehensive insurance in place to cover both pilots and events.

Other organisations may believe themselves to be comparable or equivalent but they, quite clearly, are not, in the eyes of the law makers.

Whichever way you spin it, only BHPA sanctioned events that include low flying will be legal in this country for the foreseeable future. Whether we can organise one that can be open to the general public is something that is being worked on. For now let us praise the PPGCOMPS committee for getting it this far. And let us see that praise in other places with encouragement to continue to work away at the CAA and insurers to let other organisations put on such events.

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

Sorry can't help myself pmsl :-)

Taken from the paramotorforum

Re: UK Slalom comp..

by piglet » Sun 03 Nov, 2013 9:27 pm

WOW....

what a complete difference in reaction to the same topic that was posted on another uk ppg forum that I read yesterday...

the guys on that forum have a serious problem with this subject and it seems the bhpa in general...

I am new to this sport and don't know any of you on here or those guys on there but I can tell this is the place to be.

a much better, more relaxed, impartial and friendly vibe on here than on there.

I don't know what their issues are but after lurking on there for a while and reading through some historic posts it seems its not a one-off, they have serious issues with anyone that dare not conform and say 'yes master'

god help any poor sucker who gets trained by them and brainwashed by the Koresh type cult leader....

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

Sounds like either someone who enjoys stirring things up or is a bit of a chicken-sh*t who is trying to brown-nose his way into being part of a forum. Either way, I love how he describes himself as 'lurking' here - that must give him qualification to blanket label us all. I'm a BHPA pilot by the way.

The bit about Simon is spot on though :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

So Far we have around 20 pilots registered for the comp. :lol:

We have had a couple of Training days for some of the pilots who wish to get involved in Slalom competition. It was attended By Deano and Phil Jennings two of the Top UK Comp pilots. Deano and Phil shared some of there knowledge to the new guys who were at first a bit apprehensive about flying around the pylons, We set out a very simple task from the World Slalom Task catalogue. 3 Pylons with four turns.

After a couple of runs each everyone who flew the course was over the moon and very excited with there performance. Most commenting "it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be" There were some very good time set on the first day and some slow times as well, But most of them were surprised to find out most of the Guy's who flew fast times were being beaten by the Pilots with the slower times, :explode: Most of the Fast guy's were Ballooning and flying over the not through the finish gate so would not score... :wink:

If you are in two minds about competing at the Slalom comp because your not on a 16-18-20m wing don't be. Sign up even if its as a marshal.

More Info on

www.ppgcomps.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...