Serious Medical Question now

I am now in the Ridgeway Hospital and yesterday had a L5/S1 Dislectomy of the spine. Been told it went OK and removed two 'crabbie' bits of white meat from my spine.

Had some pasted history of back problems, but are some years apart from being in the Army for 26 years. Seem to be OK just take it easy now and again and of course being 54 yrs

Main question is - has anybody had a op like this before and are they still flying?

PM if you like, no sob stories please - hate a man when he cries :-)

Many thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

Had a L4/5 discectomy back in 2004 when I was 35, blame it on getting in and out of Elise's every day.

I just remember coming round after the op without feeling any pain, heaven.

It took a while to get confident with getting back to normality but goes without saying just take it easy to start with. Did the core strengthening exercise but couldn't be arsed with pilates and the like.

As for flying, I only started 4 years ago and my back has never been a problem (and my motor is not the lightest), in fact I rarely give it a second thought these days.

Good luck with your recovery, It'll soon just be a distant memory.

Tim

Ahhh, as far as on the market I suppose I fked up there...

I was thinking Tony as he is local and we can build him one :-)

Pete B is your man though as I know he has a trike's worth of metal and wheels and such and a proven design :-)

Tempt him with stilton and some cash ( for more stilton ) and I recon he will built it for you :-)

SW :D

Tim. Thanks for your reply. I've had a LBP for many years (as Simon knows, because I never practiced with a motor on my back). This afternoon I am pain feel so I am thinking waiting about six months (over the winter period) and go again. I sometime use a trolley thing to take the motor out in the field and even use the DIY steps to put it on - very good idea. Thanks again Tim

Might even think about going to FlySpain again for some PG'ing Which was great fun, but don't fancy doing it in the UK.

Simon - problem with a trike is all money again and not many years left :cry: Also I saw Dan the Camera Man take off on the fly in :shock:

Main thing is i don't do many hours now (10 hr pa) But no plans on given up

Happy days still

Tony

Naked weight between 82 - 84kg

Tony (still laying in hospital, but who is due out tomorrow :-)

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

He is the same weight as me. The good news is he is in the range of weight the allows him to use the 18-22kg motors (light ones).

Hope everything goes well for him!

Tim. Thanks for your reply. I've had a LBP for many years (as Simon knows, because I never practiced with a motor on my back). This afternoon I am pain feel so I am thinking waiting about six months (over the winter period) and go again. I sometime use a trolley thing to take the motor out in the field and even use the DIY steps to put it on - very good idea. Thanks again Tim

Might even think about going to FlySpain again for some PG'ing Which was great fun, but don't fancy doing it in the UK.

Simon - problem with a trike is all money again and not many years left :cry: Also I saw Dan the Camera Man take off on the fly in :shock:

Main thing is i don't do many hours now (10 hr pa) But no plans on given up

Happy days still

Tony

But how many more would you do if takeoff and landing were really easy on wheels?

Pete

I know what you are saying, but I am not seeing not trikes in the air yet. I think you still need a better site/field and the weather slightly better too.

Update - still laying down most of the time no out time/driving yet. Waiting for physio appt in ten days, but told to wait by consultant for six months before trying again

With this weather it might be the same for some guys anyway

O well - chin up :)

Tony

You're right about the weather, Tony. And good luck with your recovery.

I like the idea of the trike as I get more decrepit!

But £3k for the required tuition and, what? Another 1or2k for the hardware means the legs are going to have to suffice for a year or two yet.

Is that right, they're have a smaller acceptable weather window than foot launching?

The limitation with a trike is that you can not do a reverse launch.

HOWEVER... give me an up hill nil wind site and I will nail it for sure :-)

So it a nutshell, its better for flying in the awesome conditions and not so good for flying when its windy,. in which case, unclip the paramotor and foot launch it :-)

SW :D