Finally Back! advice needed please! :)

Hi Everyone,

Been ages since I have been on here! Finally back with a few questions again, just some quick info about me as it has been ages! I'm 16 and have always enjoyed aviation and loved the idea of paramotoring! I spend all my spare time as a hangar rat and looking for a taste in paramotoring again! i am from Lincolnshire, near Spalding!

Just a few quick questions, I have a budget of £2500 and was wondering how far this would get me? If I got second hand would this get me the essentials, and the rest I'll pop on my Xmas list!

After watching the " fly another day" ( great movie! ) several times, I noticed collapses can be common, are they? It wouldn't put me off, but it would be something to consider!

I weigh 65kg and I am 5'8".. What would a good wing or motor be for my body? Is a top 80 sufficient? I'm not looking for anything fast, just something safe and fun!!

Thanks alot!

Mike

:dive:

LOL,

One is me, and all the others -2 are on the forum :-)

I just wanted to make it clear to you that those collapses were due to pilot error / bad decisions, rather than kit. It was far from the norm much of the time.

SW :D

LOL,

One is me, and all the others -2 are on the forum :-)

I just wanted to make it clear to you that those collapses were due to pilot error / bad decisions, rather than kit. It was far from the norm much of the time.

I had a sneaky suspicion that when Dave sent me that DVD, he pm'd me saying you were in it! Didn't want to say anything just incase I was wrong, but good and inspiring DVD indeed!! And that's promising then, I will just remember not to fly in bad weather!! :)

Hi Michael,

So where do you hang out as a hangar rat ? I live at Holbeach & fly from various fields but now mainly Wingland Airfield & UKPPG at March (as I work just up the road from Nigel's field).

You've also got the Boston airfield.

Fergus

Hi mate,

Fenland airfield which is very close!! I work on Saturdays in the tower as an atc assistance and in the flying school office as a secretary on Sunday, do you fly over Moulton as I see a paramotor buzz over ever so often!

Also if I remember right, Mike flys at Boston?

Thanks mate!

Its great fun being one, recommended to any youngsters! infact today I got the opportunity to go flying with a friend in an ev97! Flew to Sandy near Bedford.. anyone know that microlight airfield? Approach has lakes and trees right next to the threshold? Anyway.. Good fun and did loads of cloud dancing! Just wanna get flying in my paramotor now! Haha :dive:

£2500 is not quite going to get you there dude. :-(

For half decent kit at the lower end of the price range you should expect to have to pay:

Motor: £1500 (min)

Wing: £1200 (maybe less)

Training: £900 (maybe more)

Total: £3600

Stick at the saving though dude and don't worry about buying kit until you have finished it. By which time it may be that your savings have gone up a little :-)

I would also suggest that when you do buy kit that you buy your wing first so that you have something to keep your hand in with until you get your motor.

Although I know Simon is in a much better situation than me for handing out advice to newbies, I thought I'd add my experience in to the mix.

I have been flying paragliders for 7-8 years after doing full training to pilot level (freeflying), so you'll have to add training costs to my example.

However, I bought my wing for £300 (a 3-year-old Gradient Golden 2) and my motor for £600 (a fairly old Rad Arrow including harness) and my reserve for £100 (a 5-year-old Conar) and I have been flying for all of this year so far with no extra costs other than fuel. My kit is definitely not the latest equipment and I can't keep up with other pilots on modern reflex wings and powerful motors, but I fly at least an hour or two a week (weather permitting of course) and I have a great time. So it can be done for £1000 or less in total although of course you need some training too.

Thanks everyone,

I guess it depends on price then and where I source my equiptment... I just had a friend offer me an old bulldog motor, a wing and training for £2500 as he is an ex instructor and selling up... Not bad! Although Simon, I agree! I would rather get better equiptmwnt and wait I think!

Thanks

I agree with Alan. If the bulldog is in good nick and the wings ok, for that price you will struggle to get better equipment.

Please make sure you get the proper training though. Your better off getting a cheaper motor and wing but first class training!

Cheap training puts you in A & E, older equipment that's safe just makes you a tad slower, which is better for a novice anyway.

Cheers Lee.

I don't think we are talking about a Clive Bunce bulldog here guys :-(

I do remember a paramotor from many many moons ago with the same name.

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

Thanks everyone!

So the general idea is to get the training and cheaper equiptment.. But still safe! I have been speaking to Mike Chilvers recently as he lives and trains near me, so hopefully I will get going! I will try and get some pics of the paramotor which is selling for £2500 and show you! :)