Newbie says Hi!

Hi all,

I'm looking to start my journey into flying paramotors. So far all I've got is a strong desire to do it and a copy of "Paramotoring from the ground up" that I've completely read.

I'm based in Derbyshire and I was thinking of Airways Airsports for my training. Any reviews from people here? I figure they are my best bet in the area as I want the BHPA membership. Is it worth it? Should I go down another route?

I'm going to be looking for second hand kit at some point but at the moment I've not even been and done a trial day or anything. That's my next step.

Any words of wisdom? I'm thinking of starting my training as soon as I can get organised. Is autumn/winter a bad time to begin this? Should I wait until Spring?

I can't wait to get into the skies. Hopefully I'll see some of you around!

Chris

Hi

As a newbie just qualified all I can say is go for it. I went down the BHPA route only because the school closest to me was BHPA which route you choose is 50 / 50 as long as the training you get is good quality fun and safe. As for time of year OK the sport is very weather orientated but you will get there. Reference kit there are some many variables listen to your instructor and experienced pilots but every individual has a different view of what they wish to get out of sport so setups can vary. I have purchsed some second hand good quality gear but only towards the end of my training so to be sure the sport is for me.

Once I have gained some experience I hope to buy newer higher tech gear but we all have to start somewhere.

good luck from another newbie

regards

Geoff

I did my training at Airways and I have only good things to say about them.

I started in January and was able to take advantage of the still winter air. There's generally enough going on that the cold weather is not a major problem.

For details, see 'Pete's Progress' in the Training Blogs section of this forum.

:wingover:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

It's taken me quite a while to get back on here. I thought I'd set it to mail me when someone replied but clearly not!!

Well I bit the bullet and booked a trial day at Airways for last Wednesday only for the weather to ruin it for me, so now I'm booked back in for the end of Oct.

I was gutted as I'd been looking forward to it so much, but I guess I need to get used to weather disappointments if I'm going to do this seriously.

Someone once told me of people who want to fly, there are those who have the time and those who have the money. Hardly anyone has both - so I'm trying to tread that path carefully.

Any hints on what I can do in the time leading up to my day to get the most out of it?

Chris.