High Hang Points vs Low Hang Points with Weight Shift?

Hi all,

I'm about to finalize my order with Blackhawk. I'll be getting either the Standard Kestrel or the Kestrel Pro: http://blackhawkparamotor.com/blackhawk ... ararmotor/

I've spoken to Mike about "High Hang Points vs Low Hang Points with Weight Shift", and he is steering me in the direction of HHPs. A few other people I've talked to strongly prefer the low hang points with weight shift. It seems like some people hate high hang points, although I understand some prefer them.

Can you give me your opinion of which you prefer and why? I want to try to make the right decision for myself right off the bat. Thanks!

High

less weight shift

Feels more stable in the air (less feedback from the wing

Can be more difficult to launch.

Low

Weight shift

Feels more bumpy in the air (so you know when to get down.

You can feel what the wing is doing on launch.

Both have their pros and cons.

If you're just going to be doing PPG, then high hang points are fine and your flight will feel more stable, but you do get a little less feel for what the wing is up to. If you're converting from paragliding, and are used to 'active flying', then low hang points are for you - the wing will feel more responsive but as has already been mentioned, the flight can get a little bumpy. You could always go for for a happy medium and opt' for semi high hang points.pereonally, I find launching with lower hang points easier but I suppose its just what you're used too.

Hope that helps

Pete and Pianoman have pretty much said all you need to know about the topic. For some people it's like talking about religion and you will be blaspheming if you say anything negative about their choice of hangpoint. I fly paragliders which are low hangpoint and I've had two completely different paramotors - one high hangpoint and one mid-hangpoint, and to be honest I barely notice the difference. If you're happy with what you've trained on, then there's probably nothing wrong with staying with that set-up.

Hope this helps.

Dom

Hi guys,

The guys are right about everything that has been posted.

Are you coming from paragliding? This is important it will define what you are comfortable with

I run a Miniplane with ABM and you will feel everything the wing is doing. I’ve had many Paramotor only flyers try it and it scares them. I personally have tried a high hang point and hated it. I want to feel the wing (I come from the paragliding world) I just had my speedster at the mountain flying just last weekend.

Also I like to fly low and Slalom a little for this you need low handpoints and weight shift.

Hope this helps

Hi all,

I'm about to finalize my order with Blackhawk. I'll be getting either the Standard Kestrel or the Kestrel Pro: http://blackhawkparamotor.com/blackhawk ... ararmotor/

I've spoken to Mike about "High Hang Points vs Low Hang Points with Weight Shift", and he is steering me in the direction of HHPs. A few other people I've talked to strongly prefer the low hang points with weight shift. It seems like some people hate high hang points, although I understand some prefer them.

Can you give me your opinion of which you prefer and why? I want to try to make the right decision for myself right off the bat. Thanks!

Just wondered are you buying direct from the USA, if so which engine? Also what is the price with import duty?

They have a new 175 CC motor out with fairly high claims on thrust. Is that the one your buying?

Good luck

Simon

• 2 years later...

Find that most pilots stick with what they learned on and enjoy it happily thereafter. Of those who do switch, just as many go from high to low as vice versa.So what's the difference? Why choose one over another? Marketing hype can overwhelm the shopper and it's almost always just that—hype. I've now flown both types enough to know that's it's really more a case of preference. There are obviously differences, and each has benefits but, like most aspects of aviation, there are tradeoffs. I will analyze three types of systems: High, low without weight shift and low with weight shift. There's also the hybrid Mantis which goes from high attachment on launch to low attachment in flight.

As a beginner and still novice getting used to bumps that probably have lots you giggling while I'm still saying sh@t boll@£js and looking at my wing. I don't know that I'd like more feel for what the wing is taking care of. But I can appreciate the info it gives you.

I came from learning free flight and had 4 low hang motors. Now fly high points and get on fine . Launch is a bit different but thermalling in strong conditions is much better and more stable. I had confidence broken by frames cracking and it's nice to know that you can land with a nice harness even if all the metal broke and fell to earth with the motor. It's a very personal choice based on experience

I hve a nirvsna rodeo eith hhp.

I dont have any issue forward launching, reverse is a bit of a neck stretcher as the hang points are near your cheeks once the wing comes up.

I agree with the brake line point made already. I find it a pain having to alter the length if i want to use my gliders for both pg and ppg (i use my reflex ppg wing for free flight in strong conditions)

One point i havent seen added here yet which i believe is important...the lack of weightshift when ridge soaring with the motor off, means your turns are without weightshift. I find this a pain in the arse when coatal soaring cliff faces...its more difficult to turn and stay close to face during the turn (wider arc). My solution is to first initiate a pendulum swing by turning a little in opposite direction first.