Paratrike homebuild

I have started to building my own trike as I want to progress from my paramotor training and I have a good airstrip just round the corner from where I live.

During my research I found a company in America which coverts the Flexifoil kite buggy with a top frame to a strong and sturdy Paramotor trike.

As it was going to cost over £1200 to import a few bits of bent tube, I opted to build my own.

Underlying design intent: (Colin Baker has been giving me some good ideas.) cheers Col.

1.Retain the original paramotor frame.

2.Have a braking device.

2.Still fit in a standard car.

3.To be fabricated from easily obtainable components and standard workshop tooling.

The picture is an initial posed construction picture. As I develop the design I will post more pictures.

The local microlight school has agreed to carryout the conversion training and I need to register my trike and wing with the CAA than I am legal. Fingers crossed. Any feedback or ideas would be appreciated. Total cost so far, less than £150.

Giles

8)

IMG_3230.1.jpg.87ecfb1156bf8b41f8e6394b6

I am hoping to bring it to the Fly-in so people can get a closer look. I am working on a full instrument panel, with VSI/ALT/ASI/RPM and EGT with compass to aid navigation. Most of this can come later, I just need to get the 99.9% completed frame so I can register the trike and wing with the CAA.

The CAA did make me chuckle when they asked me for the serial Number...hummm let me think of one.

I have been going through the CAA registration database to see if my initials have been used yet. ;)

I will add some more pictures when I am back at my workshop at the weekend. It sucks living away during the week, less build time.

Less build time = more think time = less mistakes. :-)

SW :D

Hi simon, I agree with you, however I spent 4 months away designing it. Slowly slowly catchy monkey. I intend to bring it to the fly in so your thoughts would be appreciated.

I have gone for low hang point attachments so the lifting stress goes through the chassis and not stressing the up struts. The upper struts are purely there to support the engine thrust. I am not using the original harness and have gone back to the original kite buggy seat and a custom made back board.

Has anyone had any experience of registering their custom made paratrike with the CAA? I just want to know of any pitfalls that might be coming my way.

Giles

"I am the result of my life's experiences"

Hi Pete and Simon,

Thanks for the gen. I have the forms on my desk top ready. I will be taking the completed trike to work and use the large freight scales to measure the completed weight. There has to be some advantages of working where I do.

How long did it take to complete your registration process? Also where would you recommend sending the wing to get the registration lettering added?

Regards

Giles

Hi Pete and Simon,

Thanks for the gen. I have the forms on my desk top ready. I will be taking the completed trike to work and use the large freight scales to measure the completed weight. There has to be some advantages of working where I do.

How long did it take to complete your registration process? Also where would you recommend sending the wing to get the registration lettering added?

Regards

Giles

About a week to get the paperwork back from the CAA. (E-mail with registration number 3 days).

The loft or Aerofix will do it. (check prices first including postage)

Pete

The disk brake presented a few issued, mainly how to keep everything true, so the disk would not be out of line. The disk mount seen in black was cut from a bike hub, the large silver hub is actually 4 pieces of 3mm sheet. 2 were cut into hoops to fit over the wheel bearing housing and the last 2 layers were to give the correct distance for the brake caliper. To create a brake pedal I welded a pivot frame which works well. I just need to cut down the foot bars as they are too long.

5733641fbede7_Diskmount.jpg.f2c1354170d1

The basic frame is very simple and not too heavy. I can lift the whole structure with the paramotor, off the ground, but not for long ;). You can see the original J bar nylon mounts (does anyone know where I can get some more nylon, no-one seems to sell blocks) The lower part of the paramotor is kept in place with U bolts. The over hoop is to give lateral strength and clears the head and helmet. It also gives something to grab onto to get in and out.

5733641fc72cd_Simpleframe.jpg.b635a894d8

It has been a very productive day. Harness fitted, wing nuts drilled for wirelocking, A' line assists fitted. All it have left to do is just wirelock the exhaust springs. All I need to do now is get a final completed weight and then I can register it with the CAA. I am sure there is still a bit of fettling on the day of test flying. ;s.

The other half has agreed to help put it in the tonight, what a good egg.

Giles

"Once an Engineer, always an engineer"

Direct Plastics Online are good for nylon.

Many thanks, spot of. I might see if they sell off cuts as I only need a small amount.

The car fitting works well and fits easily in my Picasso. The paramotor and top frame had to cone off but it was designed this way. It should only take 10 minutes max to reassemble and wire lock the wing nuts back on.

Off to the work scales tomorrow to get a flying weight for the CAA registration form.

Giles