Patrick's Progression

I referred this to PJ and here is their answer

I’ve spoken to the boys in repair and maintenance who tell me that they are only aware of this happening twice before. We are using slightly different button clips now which are a bit stronger so hope this should solve the problem.

So it has happened before, but they now use a stronger spring. It might be worth anyone with an earlier MacroV2 having a good look at their button clip spring. It's not that difficult to get at- air filter off and remove the two carb retaining screws.

Just be careful the spring (or any broken bits) don't drop out and down the carb (unlikely, I know, as the butterfly will be shut)

Anyway new stronger button clip in the post FOC.

That's Parajet for you

You can get somebody on the phone,

They deal with the issue,

They hold spares

More often than not they despatch same day.

That's something some others could aspire to, judging by other posts on this forum.

• 2 months later...

Dusted the Macro off over the weekend. Had some difficulty starting it, eventually to the point where the starter wouldn't turn. It didn't sound or feel like a flat battery and indeed it wasn't.

I had to remove the starter ( what a PITA that is, only topped by putting the sod back) stripped it down to find that the brushes were not sliding in their carriers so were not contacting the commutator.

Not sure whether that had happened as a result of it overheating a bit or just being sticky after the winter layup.

So worth remembering this if yours doesn't work. Perhaps if it were to happen to me again I would try a smart tap on the motor body to free them off without going through the rigmarole of removing it. Of course need to hear the starter relay clicking before its worth doing any of the above.

Also replaced my old throttle cable, described here.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10162

So should be ready to go the first time decent weather coincides with a day off, which doesn't look like this weekend for me :(

In any case, Saturday is out for me as I have to take my motorcycle frame (that I'm refurbishing), up to the painter..........in Lincolnshire. That is just where I found someone (through recommendation) that I trusted to do a proper job on it- the guy builds Merlin engines for the Battle of Britain flight , so reckon he'll have the right mind-set :shock: I'm told he made a camshaft for one from scratch- should be an interesting guy to talk to! Sorry- I digress.

It will be my first flight since just before Christmas which ended with my first engine out. And far from that making me apprehensive (well no more than usual) about flying I think it instilled a certain level of confidence in that I have it out of the way and it all went according to plan.

I was just thinking it is only a couple of months shy of 2 years since my first flight and I have a logbook with only 30 flights in it.

What is the experience of others as to whether that's a normal number in the time or not- certainly, I know George Holmes, who first flew the same time as me is up around 3 times that, so I feel I have some catching up to do.

I've just looked at my record of yearly flights and of course they are going to be different for every pilot:

Time availability, weather, kit functioning etc.

Reading your blog it looks like you only fly when you feel it is safe for YOU to do so, a commendable trait.

I'd rather do the same and still be flying in 10 years time than trying to amass a huge flight total.

Here is my history for comparison, starting with the first full year:

2008 35 flights

2009 51 flights

2010 68 flights

2011 72 flights

2012 56 flights

2013 24 flights :(

2014 53 flights

2015 7 flight so far.

Cheers, Alan

• 4 weeks later...

ImageUploadedByPMC Forum1428327221.908559.jpgFlight 31 06/04/15

Back in the air, after 3 and 1/2 months off, to blow away the winter cobwebs, my last flight being my engine out just before Christmas A nice half hour flight round Pangbourne and Upper Basildon started with an easy reverse launch into an 8mph NWesterly.

Then on over Basildon Park, a location for Pride and Prejudice and many other period dramas.

Pat have you tried taking a wrap to land I found it so helpful do it most of the time now always manage to lane on my feet!!!!

Come down to ours for a flight soon

Hi, Neilzy. no wrap taken , but did shorten the brakes a little last year.

It wasnt a "clear the decks, arrestor wire landing", or anything like that :mrgreen::mrgreen: ........................... just didnt remain standing

Pat have you tried taking a wrap to land I found it so helpful do it most of the time now always manage to lane on my feet!!!!

Come down to ours for a flight soon

Just checking, do you mean wrapping the brake line around your hand once to shorten the brake line ? I have problems as I seem to come in so fast and can never get the flair right.

Thanks gaz

• 1 month later...

Flight 33 13/5/15

New experience to report!

Not particularly in the flying, although it was a beautiful evening flight ( if a little blustery) over the Thames Valley, but it was a first for me flying with other pilots.

Flew yesterday evening with Chris Wright ( Bubba1) and Phil Hensley from the Railway field in Pangbourne.

Trying to get three pilots airborne in a short space of time, is not as easy as you think it should be, especially when a couple off them are relatively low hours

I went first, with a very easy reverse in a brisk NE breeze towards the railway- getting a long toot in greeting from the passing 125.

I then had to hold for a good 10minutes before the others joined me.

I was again reminded as I waited, how difficult it is to see activity on the ground and especially how difficult it is to see a flying Paramotor against the ground rather than in silhouette against the sky. A very good reminder of the importance of keeping ones eyes peeled for stuff coming at you.

Phil joined me over Mapledurham House with Chris some way off to the West over Goring Heath, and we set off towards Gallowstree Common, not exactly formation flying ! And with a combination of Chris getting cold hands ( no gloves!) and me having used my fuel while the others got airborne we didn't make our target of Peppard Golf Course. But a fun flight nevertheless.

It was interesting to note the different opinions of the pilots as to the conditions aloft. Chris remarked how active/gusty it was up there, but once again I hadn't particularly noticed it. Don't know whether that's a lack of perception on my part, a high tolerance from my paragliding experience, or testament to the Synth's ability to iron all that sort of stuff out.

Anyway we felt we'd done enough to deserve a pint, so Chris and I repaired to The Elephant, a bit concerned that Phil is sickening for something- first time I've known him turn down a drink!

ImageUploadedByPMC Forum1431590606.947359.jpg

ImageUploadedByPMC Forum1431590630.902225.jpg

Not noticing the gusty stuff is probably more down to you than the synth. I feel it more on my synth than I do on the lift.

I usually send my dad up first then get myself sorted because he has a lower fuel burn but I've never really considered the waiting around time as I'm then concentrating on sorting myself out.

• 2 weeks later...

Flight 34 23/5/15

Managed an early flight from Pangbourne to Goring and Aldworth last Saturday and was back on the ground by 9:15 before things started to brew up a bit.

Apart from the fact that every time I fly I just find it awesome :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: (hope it never wears off), nothing particular to report on the flying front.

But I was test driving my new Hero 4 Black properly for the first time. And following best backroom tinkerers tradition hadn't bothered to read the manual - you don't do you!

So it wasn't till I got down I found it had been on the Video+Photo setting.

Aficionados will know already, but for those other non manual reading folk, what that means, I discovered, is, it films continuous video 1080P 25fps AND takes timelapse at around 10 frames a minute.............so I had getting on for 400 photos to go with the vid.! Lucky it has a 64Gb card!

17445338254_2d240d423c_c.jpg

Proper photographer/pilots (eg GD) will no doubt disagree but for amateurs this has got to be the way to go. Now I know it does that, all I need to do is look at what I want to photograph....and keep still for 6 seconds!

If I set it to timelapse only (no video) then it will shoot at 12Mp ( these were only at about 2.5Mp, I think)which should give some decent shots, probably want to get it off the wide angle setting too.

18004243716_24651d5444_c.jpg

Heres a selection

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129012777@N08/sets/72157652990950409

• 2 weeks later...

Well.....that'd do it! Look what I found lodged in the carb when I went to investigate why the the motor had suddenly decided not to pick up cleanly. In part leading to a couple of aborted attempts to fly this week.

Very lucky it was big enough to lodge in the throat of the carb and not disappear onwards to wreak havoc inside.

5733643243cc9_ImageUploadedByPMCForum143

573364324a0aa_ImageUploadedByPMCForum143

5733643278c64_ImageUploadedByPMCForum143