Pull cord getting sucked into prop mid flight

touch107fm

Hi All, I have two Thor 130 and love the flash start setup, haven't had any trouble with the rope coming out, but one issue is am experiencing is I keep breaking the main starting spring, seem to get around 30-40 hrs out of a spring,have gone through 3 so far.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Have got a bit of excessive wear on one engines flash starter pawls and support plate but I think this is due to being a bit heavy on the pull cord, have found it take a bit to get the brain re programmed to use the flash starter gently as it not like a conventional pull starter all the pull cord is doing is winding up a spring, until it overcomes the compression of the engine.

If I could sort the spring breaking issue out I will be happy.

Yep the non flash bolts in, you need to use the spacers on the outside.. this will make sense when you see it.

I've seen the main spring break when people "yank" the starter rather than using it as a flash, ie a moderate pull (or two) yes you can actually do two short pulls.

The other killer is if you over prime the engine has a bitchen kick back.

Hope that helps

Matt

The last two times I found a broken spring were after landing and preparing to launch again, when I went to pull the cord no resistance was there. But it managed to start it the first time. Very disappointing in prime flying weather!

Have got a couple of new springs on the way in which have some improvements.

Will be great to sort the pull starter issues out as I think Thor 130 so far has been a awesome engine.

AWESOME..!

Thanks for sharing.

Bit more expensive to get here in Australia, just wanted to double check this is definitely the right part number before I order one.

Matt

Matt... I am actually currently living in Australia (Irish man living in Perth - last 5 years)

FYI

For those looking to replace there non flash starter..

Do bother with polini's rebranded Briggs and Stratton Starter Recoil

Get a GENUINE Briggs & Stratton like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Briggs- ... 5d3e49ec03

Exact same as the polini one, most lawnmower places can source one. I got one in an hour of looking for one.

Don't be tempted to buy non original, I can confirm there are shite and made of Swiss cheese !!!!

Why the heck didnt you post that a week ago? :cry: My polini one shipped last night finally.

Now if I can get someone to answer about adjusting the thor100 clutch..

Thanks

Sorry dude.... Polini need to make there cut!! Middle man business at its best.

More Polini cost saving tips...

A few back my reed valve stuffed itself (having too much fun)

Mine of course stuffed itself when Mr Polini went on there summer lonnnnnnnng holiday and also wanted mega money for the complete reed valve.. But Mr polini its only the carbon petals which are broke :(

No you must buy the complete reed valve..

573363f127ce4_MeontheFusion.jpg.cebe2b6e

image.jpeg.309e08e3f0987d49cbcbaccba75ea

Buy a non flash starter as a back up, problem solved. Bolt slots are the same.

Seller in above link ships all over the world,

The last two times I found a broken spring were after landing and preparing to launch again, when I went to pull the cord no resistance was there. But it managed to start it the first time. Very disappointing in prime flying weather!

Have got a couple of new springs on the way in which have some improvements.

Will be great to sort the pull starter issues out as I think Thor 130 so far has been a awesome engine.

• 2 weeks later...

I brought a genuine Briggs and Stratton recoil starter as quoted above part number 497830 and have found that I does not have enough offset to engage with the gear on the flywheel.

It going on a Thor 130, has anyone else had this issue with this Briggs part?

I am looking to cut off the mounting lugs and reposition them its out by 6mm.

Cheers

I put the alloy spacers on the outside of recoil unit so it was as close as it could be and its still needs to be 6mm closer. Nothing a cut and weld won't fix, but it doesn't just bolt on.

Does a genuine Thor 100 standard starter fit directly onto the Thor 130?

Good to here you sorted it out..

My stator just failed on my thor 100.

Polini would not sell me stator only, you have to buy flywheel and stator as one which is rubbish.

IDM stators are pretty standard on most paramotors, I got one delivered from the UK to Australia, it arrived in 7 days.

Get the from these guys:

http://www.italjet.co.uk/index.php?act= ... ductId=871

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

hi

i also have thor 130 with flash starter.

the rope was pulled back to the prop mid flight and the handle got banged with the prop.

after that happend i cleaned the inside of the flash starter from dirt and grease and it was fine again for 20 hours, then again same problem.. bamm handle into the prop.

opened the flash starter again and one of the pins one of the plastic teeth sits on was broken. also one of the hooks of the thinner spring was straightened by the force so the spring isnt functioning meaning- no rope tension.

by inspection also the teflon thingy strip that sits between the thicker spring got pulled towards the outer ridges, i guess from vibration?

not seems like something which can alter its basic function of softening the pull kickback force. or does it?

i now ordered 2 kits that need to arrive:

-the plastic teeth kit.

-and the thinner spring.

should it fix the problem or should i order from now a polini thor 100 regular starter?

or even a Briggs & Stratton as kiwi suggested.. i didnt understand how you got it managed to fit propely.. you mind explaining or even uploading some pics or vids?

cheers guys.

Hi

I also decided to repair my flash starter by replacing the main starter spring again ( the thick spring) the one Polini sent to me is there latest edition, it appears to have been modified slightly and has screws to retain the spring in the housing. It working fine so far, no broken bits, so havnt had to use the manual starter for a while. But I always got it on standby.

Here's a couple of pics of the Briggs and Stratton starter housing and a pic of the mounting lugs that I cut down 6mm and welded back on. Best parts about the Briggs mod is now I can get the manual starter parts from any lawnmower shop if I need to.

57336433d719b_ImageUploadedByPMCForum143

57336433db361_ImageUploadedByPMCForum143

57336433e0168_ImageUploadedByPMCForum143

57336433e4e59_ImageUploadedByPMCForum143

i dont understand how changing the thicker spring can effect the unwinding of the rope when full rpm.

isnt the main function of this thick spring with teflon between it to only soften the pullback and make it easier to start? cant see how it can unwind the rope.

as for the briggs starter

you only cut them with a disc and then welded them 6mm closer and it fit perfectly?

I've just replaced my Thor 100 flash starter main spring as mine snapped on Friday over the perfect flying weekend! Typical. Never suffered the unwinding problem myself but may be worth adding a few extra turns of recoil onto the smaller spring when rewinding the pull cord to give it a bit more hold? Just a thought as it's very easy to do.

I've just replaced my Thor 100 flash starter main spring as mine snapped on Friday over the perfect flying weekend! Typical. Never suffered the unwinding problem myself but may be worth adding a few extra turns of recoil onto the smaller spring when rewinding the pull cord to give it a bit more hold? Just a thought as it's very easy to do.

Nope doesn't work... tried extra winds. :-(

Went through 4 starters in about 200 hours and since going manual done another 100 with no issues at all.

Bungee fixed the problem of kick back and happy happy boy. :-)

Matt

UPDATE:

replaced the plastic hooks and plate. also the thinner spring.

5 hrs later working well no rewind rope into prop prob.

lets hope it will keep working well as it does now.

the issue was i believe was the plastic grooves on the hooks spinning mechanism were worn out making the teeth activate on high rpm resulting in a counter spin which releases the rope.

hope this helps .