Pull cord getting sucked into prop mid flight

touch107fm

Yep, I hear ya, thanks for the reply,

I have switched it over to the Thor 100 manual start and testing on the ground so far no problem.

Slight issue mounting it as I only bought the 928.530.001 and 928.550.001 parts. But solved it buy putting the spaces on the outside of the starter. Hope that helps someone else.

Oh and the 130 is very easy to pull over, seems to be some technique I need to learn otherwise occasionally get a bit of kick back.

Matt

I have the Thor 100 on a Parajet V2 frame but have not yet encountered this problem, maybe due to it only having 15 hours on it.

Hearing about this has had me considering changing to the manual starter. I do also dislike the long pull required on the flash starter and would be interested to know how this compares to the manual version.

As a hint you don't need a long single pull on the flash starter. You can do two or three shorter ones. Don't yank it like a manual start, instead firm and moderate speed, pull approx one foot and then release tension and go again. Repeat until the flash has enough tension to release.

As for the pressure to pull over manually is easy, not much more than the flash. The only issue is there seems to be a technique required to stop kick back. You need to slowly pull over until it reaches a hard spot then a short sharp pull. If you don't the cord is sometimes yanked from your hand which is unpleasant.

Warning I'm a mechanical numpty I've learnt from trial and error.

Matt

• 2 months later...

Do any other engine manufacturers adopt a version of the flash starter and if so have any had problems? If other engines have a manual type starter is kickback a common problem or have Polini managed to produce two different types of starters which are inherently flawed.

How can it be that you don't hear of issues on other engines?

• 4 months later...

First flight for me on my new to me used parajet/thor100 with the flash starter, but the handle didnt come out, rope came out the bottom of the thing? And it has a knot in the end of it....

Tried to post a pic but cant here it seems.

You can post a pic :-)

Start a new message, and before you hit the submit button... (below the submit button is the upload attachment section. Simply browse to a file on your computer hit 'add the file' and then hit submit as normal. :-)

SW :D

The combination of the thor 100 + flash starter = going to have problems

Have not heard much many of the thor 130 having any issues with the flash starter.

Best thing i ever did was swap out the flash starter for stock standard starter, works every time and don't have the fear now that the flash starter will unwind mid flight.

I took it off and cleaned it all up, the end of the rope inside the starter somehow came out. Anyway, it works smooth now.

How hard was it to disconnect the flash starter? Did you keep the engine attached to the frame whilst doing it?

Pretty easy, when you move the 'seat' out of the way you can reach everything pretty well. I loosened all the engine bolts, and took the bottom two totally out so I could angle the motor to get it off.

What he said, I can swap mine out in about 30 min but I have it down to down to fine art.

I usually remove the top two engine mounts to allow for for the removal of the flash starter. I usually lay the engine on the ground or on a table when I remove the starter.

If unsure get a mate who knows there way around two strokes to give you a hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I have about a 100 hours on my Thor 130 converted back to a manual start so far all good..!

I resolved the kick back issue by replacing the pull start handle with 8mm bungee cord. Easy to start and if it does kick back them it doesn't rip out of my hand.

I also found that the the kick back seems to happen when it's overly primed, so am now very careful to just prime a little and use the choke to finish off.

Only remaining issue now is the oil leak... basically from the block to the exhaust. Copper max works for awhile but it then leaks again.

Oh and a buddy of mine has fixed he idle issue by filing the carby butterfly with a little notch near the low jet.. I can leave it idle for 20 minutes now without fouling up..!

Matt

I have a non flash starter on order, not sure when itll be here, has to come from polini themselves as nobody had one in stock in the US that I could find.

Is there a special method to starting without the flash setup? Other than itll be harder to pull now?

It now works as per "normal" ie you pull hard and fast. I believe many of the issues I see with the flash breaking are caused by people "yanking" them.

It's really not hard to pull over with the manual start, but I find the bungee really works well particularly for in flight starting as you can hook your thumbs in.

Fitting it peoples mileage varies. I found that I had to put the billet spacers on the outside like a washer (will make sense when you look at it or I can take a photo). Also you may need to put a washer or two on the center part of the housing that the wheel sits on to space it out, again mileage varies.

Matt

FYI

For those looking to replace there non flash starter..

Do bother with polini's rebranded Briggs and Stratton Starter Recoil

Get a GENUINE Briggs & Stratton like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Briggs- ... 5d3e49ec03

Exact same as the polini one, most lawnmower places can source one. I got one in an hour of looking for one.

Don't be tempted to buy non original, I can confirm there are shite and made of Swiss cheese !!!!

FYI

For those looking to replace there non flash starter..

Do bother with polini's rebranded Briggs and Stratton Starter Recoil

Get a GENUINE Briggs & Stratton like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Briggs- ... 5d3e49ec03

Exact same as the polini one, most lawnmower places can source one. I got one in an hour of looking for one.

Don't be tempted to buy non original, I can confirm there are shite and made of Swiss cheese !!!!

Why the heck didnt you post that a week ago? :cry: My polini one shipped last night finally.

Now if I can get someone to answer about adjusting the thor100 clutch..

Thanks