Rad arrow - what kind of fuel?

Hi all,

I have just bought a Rad Arrow (one of the older ones without a clutch), and I was wondering about the mix ratio and also what kind of petrol to use.

Generally, most motors take a 50:1 mix, but the Rad Arrow manual says a 33:1 mix (i.e. 150ml for 5l of petrol). I guess I should just follow the manual's recommendation, but I haven't seen any other motors that run on such an oil-rich mix.

Also, there seems to be a bit of a mix of opinion about whether to use super or regular unleaded. Of course the manual says to use 98 octane (super) but then again so do pretty much all cars, and I certainly haven't ever bought super unleaded for any of my cars.

I ran a rad for many a moon on 33/1 with no problems what so ever. :-)

I think as engines become higher performance, they require more / better oil.

SW :D

Cheers Simon, I'll go with the 33:1 mix then. I didn't really doubt the manual, but I wanted to get a second opinion.

Also, did you run your rad on regular unleaded or super?

I ran a rad for many a moon on 33/1 with no problems what so ever. :-)

I think as engines become higher performance, they require more / better oil.

SW :D

Went for my first ever paramotor flight this morning (along with Russell Knight), and had a great time! I aborted the first couple of reverse launch attempts as I didn't commit enough to moving once I had turned around, but the third launch went perfectly and I had a lovely flight over my village. A bit rough and bumpy as the thermals were kicking off, but a nice first flight. Hooray!