Polini Mods

Ppgnovice

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, it appears Polini have released several mods for the Thor200- reed valve, gaskets etc.

They seem critical to the life of the motor, and I can't see why they are not essential recall items, it wouldn't be acceptable in a car let alone an aircraft. Although I know it's a small industry and we are lucky to have a choice etc.

Has anyone had major issues with their Polini? Has anyone done the mods? If so have they been effective and how hard are they to do?

This is possibly the best worldwide group on the net for discussion anout the Polini Thor 200

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/174049336076750/

From personal experience I have done the gasket mod and changed to a Keihin HKK needle

I am currently on the 52 slow and 144 high jets, but am probably going to change to a 50 low jet

I get 188 degrees cruise and 230 max on sustained climb using those settings. Bottom end is still rich so thats why i'm changing to the 50 (not the 48 supplied with the motor)

I am not sure about the new reed stoppers as I have heard (but not witnessed it yet) they only improve the mid range on the Walbro carb (I have the PWK which is easier to adjust)

There's quite a few of us flying Thor 200's now and a Temp guage is a must. plus we're using a Supa Tuna and hope to fit it to my motor soon.

IMPORTANT

Do not be tempted to drop the needle a notch as it leans out the whole mid range and will probably hole your piston!

For more info on the PWK tuning see:

http://www.paramotorforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=165

HTH!

Also (to answer your question)

The mods are not hard to do.. Polini now supply a gasket kit to achieve the squish mod.

Only special tool you need is a decent torque wrench which can accurately torque up the head bolts Takes about 20-30 mins from start to end.

So far its cost me £2 for gasket paper £6 for HKK needle and the Reed stoppers are supposed to be £5

I've just changed to a Polini Thor 200, and I cannot tell you how disappointed and upset I am with what my 5k has bought. I drilled a piston within 2 hours of flying it because it was given to me too lean.

Now I've got that issue sorted, I'm left with a paramotor that I have to spend more time watching the temp gauge than actually concentrating on flying. As soon as I increase the rpm to climb the temp shoots up and I have to level out to let it cool down before I continue to climb.

I think the thing that pisses me off the most though is its incredibly narrow power band. It's almost impossible to cruise level. I'm either descending or climbing like a bat out of hell.

Any suggestions to flatten out the power delivery would be very welcome.

It's amazing that Polini can get away with it.

Rant over

Dan

I kind of understand your rant, but at the same time....

Pete B and I avoided buying the 200 Zenith as our tandem rig for filming because of the very well known about issues concerning the engine.

Did you not factor the same information into your buying decision?

Needless to say, I too would be gutted if my motor only lasted 2 hours. I hope you get it sorted soon and get some air.

SW :D

I kind of understand your rant, but at the same time....

Pete B and I avoided buying the 200 Zenith as our tandem rig for filming because of the very well known about issues concerning the engine.

Did you not factor the same information into your buying decision?

Needless to say, I too would be gutted if my motor only lasted 2 hours. I hope you get it sorted soon and get some air.

SW :D

Having Pap just down the road, and all other decent manufacturers in other countries, the convenience and super quick customer service keeps me loyal to this brand, plus Pierre is a good friend now. I needed something more powerful and there wasn't any other choice.

I kinda, naively thought that Polini being such a big company (relatively speaking), they would sort out the niggles pronto. How wrong was I :x