Polini thor 100 strip down - Issue

touch107fm

Hi Guys

Yesterday I decided to give my polini thor a major service.

Before I go into my problem with my Polini thor 100 has anyone replaced the rings on theirs yet, If so do what item code did you use. On the polini parts list there is one for the piston and rings together 928 020 001 . Also did you get the parts through polini or source them locally.

I took the carbie apart and cleaned it fully no problem there. I put it back together and tried to pull start it didn’t fire up as expected..

I left it a while and came back to it and it felt like the bloody thing had seized, To confirm it was not running after the carbie clean out when I went to start it after about 1 hour if felt like it was seized. I tried to pull start it but would not turn over –

Removed the spark plug no joy!

Removed the pull start no joy!

Removed the cylinder head to inspect and could see nothing wrong.

I then removed the cylinder shaft so the piston was free everything looks fine. Now I start to move the piston up and down by hand via the pull start cooling fines. I can get it to turn freely but at the same position in one cycle it becomes very stiff, it is possible to do the full cycle but as I said gets very stiff at the same point. My understanding is in one cycle the piston goes both up and down? I for the life cant think what the hell happened from the carbie clean but I need to get to the bottom of it.

Could it be the bearings? Crank shaft?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The crankshaft will get harder to turn when the magneto lines up, but this should be easy to overcome.

It sounds like your crankshaft bearings are toast, but you would need to open the gearbox side, and magneto side to be sure.

Hey Morgy

Was on there... but man there is some angry people on there.

Proper Teed off about there polini 200's..

I love my polini thor 100, I have had it more than 3 years and its being pure flying bliss.

(Pics of the strip down on our facebook group 'Paramotoring Australia' 9 members and counting)

OK question, so I have fixed the motor now piston is running free now and now I am putting it all back together my question is do I need to put any gear oil or two stroke oil down the crank shaft, was thinking a couple of teaspoons yes no.

I will of course fill the gear box reserve with gear oil..

Many thanks,

Darragh

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Managed to get the polini tool needed to remove the clutch, its all back together now.

I also got a carbie kit for my wg8 carbie..

next issue:

When I finally got the motor running when I apply power now the motor seems to bog under and will usually die..

I have adjust the idle on the carbie and its fine.. in an effort to tune the carbie I have tried every setting on the other adjuster and it still bogs down when I apply power.

What am I doing wrong? apart from the two adjusters on the carbie is there anything else I need to adjust.

Worth mentioning I have cleaned and cleaned the carbie + its also got the new Kit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If it makes a "whaaaaa" sound when you open the throttle, it's probably running lean.

If it runs "lumpy" when you open the throttle, it's running too rich.

Lean is usually caused by crap in the carb, a wrongly assembled carb, or an air leak somewhere in the crankcase. But it could be other things too - fuel flow restricted etc.

Do you have a Walbro carb? if so check the order of the gaskets is correct. There are some useful links here: http://www.paramotor.co.nz/viewforum.ph ... 61e9db9d41

To test for an air leak, you have to block off the intake and exhaust ports (with plugs or plates and gaskets), then pressurize the crankcase with around 6psi, and see if this holds over a period of ~5 minutes.

If it doesn't hold pressure, get soapy water and spread this around the entire engine - bubbles will form where the air leak is:

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

If it makes a "whaaaaa" sound when you open the throttle, it's probably running lean.

If it runs "lumpy" when you open the throttle, it's running too rich.

Lean is usually caused by crap in the carb, a wrongly assembled carb, or an air leak somewhere in the crankcase. But it could be other things too - fuel flow restricted etc.

Do you have a Walbro carb? if so check the order of the gaskets is correct. There are some useful links here: http://www.paramotor.co.nz/viewforum.ph ... 61e9db9d41

To test for an air leak, you have to block off the intake and exhaust ports (with plugs or plates and gaskets), then pressurize the crankcase with around 6psi, and see if this holds over a period of ~5 minutes.

If it doesn't hold pressure, get soapy water and spread this around the entire engine - bubbles will form where the air leak is:

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Many thanks for your response Notch, its shied some light on the problem.

I have been trying to get to the bottom of it for over a week now, I really don't think its leak anywhere. Reason for this thought, it was working I decided to strip the motor and remove all the serviceable parts, I have now changed all gaskets etc, I didn't remove piston only cylinder head. So it must be something I have not adjusted correctly etc I did manage to remove the clutch but that should not have effected the gaskets or caused any leaks in the chamber!!

I did a compression test yesterday and using a pull start I was getting a PSI of around 155 PSI.

Anyone know if that is OK.

I really think it must be the carbie, it was quite in work yesterday so I stripped it down, cleaned and checked all and it seemed fine. I dont have the walbro tool to confirm the needle but as I replaced the needle for a new one from the Walbro kit I used it must be OK!!

Its motor is currently stripped as I am changing and and tightening all the bolts, I will try the pressure test tonight.

My polini thor is over 3 or 4 years old got to a few more years in the old girl!!

Again thanks for the help.

Darragh

The saga continues.. So I rebuilt the polini again and I think or should I say I thought i resolved the issue.

I found the valve that works as a fuel pump was full of crap, after I cleaned it out it was running good, brought it to the local park to apply power and under the 20 sec has a massive backfire and then dead!!

2013-04-26074543.jpg

Has anyone ever had to replace the reed valve before?? Need to get my hands on replacements petals as I think they are called. I am live on the west coast of Australia I think I could be on for a wait.

Darragh

That happened to me on my compact it was running fine then pop, it would run but not very well and only on tick over I rang Parajet and as he was talking me thro it we found the problem mine had bin fitted with carbon fibber reeds and one had disintegrated, I had to take the cylinder off and blow it all out and clean it. I got them to send me a new aluminium one. I'm shore there it's a Parajet factory in oz, give them a ring and I bet they will help u out.

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

So I take it, you just cut the petal or sheet to size / suit you reed valve.

Pretty pricey for what it is but if it gets me back in the air I am cool with it.

These look like they are exact match:

http://www.pmtuning.co.uk/polini-carbon ... tical-50cc

My motor has done more than allot more than 100 hours its pushing 3 and half years old..

Cheers,

Darragh

Edited by Guest

No Parajet sent me a hole new bit. Mine was and still is under warranty so they didn't charge me eny think and I saved them a lot of money doing it my self. But I shouldn't think it would be that expensive.

That happened to me on my compact it was running fine then pop, it would run but not very well and only on tick over I rang Parajet and as he was talking me thro it we found the problem mine had bin fitted with carbon fibber reeds and one had disintegrated, I had to take the cylinder off and blow it all out and clean it. I got them to send me a new aluminium one. I'm shore there it's a Parajet factory in oz, give them a ring and I bet they will help u out.

Already in contact with the local Parajet dealer who has being very useful for getting parts for my polini.

I didnt buy from Parajet, bought the motor on its own, followed by PXP frame.

One thing has this has made me realize, polini are a bit of a nightmare to get parts from.

Why dont they hire someone who speaks decent english who will deal with engine problems, parts etc. I know the thor 200 owners are having a hard time with there engine's. Its sort of put me off getting another polini in the future.

Then again I could be just saying this as my motor is not working!!! Best thing since sliced bread when its going!

Already in contact with the local Parajet dealer who has being very useful for getting parts for my polini.

I didnt buy from Parajet, bought the motor on its own, followed by PXP frame.

One thing has this has made me realize, polini are a bit of a nightmare to get parts from.

Why dont they hire someone who speaks decent english who will deal with engine problems, parts etc. I know the thor 200 owners are having a hard time with there engine's. Its sort of put me off getting another polini in the future.

Then again I could be just saying this as my motor is not working!!! Best thing since sliced bread when its going!

But sliced bread goes mouldy in 2 days and is no good then!!!.;):lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Bout bloody time the site is back online.. Thought I would not have a chance to tell you all how it ended..

Well first up Screw you polini..

For those of you you who were reading the history of my posts you will know that the petals in polini 110 reed block broke.

Polini would not sell me the petals on there own. 80 euros plus shipping plus 3 week wait!!!! So not being an option I went on the hunt for the part. Had offers from other manufactures but it need to be the right width etc. So i managed to source a 0.3mm carbon sheet from a scooter store in Germany and guess what!! The sheet is made by polini!!

IMG_20130511_100854.jpg

So I cut the petals to size, put it back in and what do you know runs like a dream, i have really pushed it over the last couple of days, now a very happy man indeed!!

Problem solved.

Darragh