Helmet?

vane505

Hello!

I just got my paramotorcertificate and had some questions regarding what helmet to get. I only got a skiing helmet (during the course I got to borrow my instructors helmet with a radio), and was wondering if that would be enough (if I bought a headset and radio for it) or if I should buy a "real" paramotor-helmet? Appreciate your help and input.

My opinion in that something is better than nothing, and as long as there would be no issues with insurance claims. i.e. not using a type approved helmet.

Use it till you have decided what else to get and make sure you shop around and try a few different one on if you can.

Treat it like a motor bike helmet and buy the best you can afford. After all it's going to protect your head if something goes drastically wrong. From personal experience I'm only walking around because I wore mine which is the microavionics one.

The motorcycle reference is an interesting one..

`Proper` PPG/aviation helmets look a bit pants to me - only cover the top of your head with temple/ear area totally exposed - apart from the headset cups if fitted. Similar to bicycle helmets.

If you take a bump on the side surely the headset is going to pushed into your head or other exposed bonce parts could be liable to injury?

OK so it`s only headset cups - relatively pliable, but doesn`t seem right to me.

Coming from a bike background when i get flying i`m going to use a motorcycle helmet (open face).

I won`t need a headset `cos i won`t be talking to anyone!

If it`s good enough for a motorcycle it`s good enough for PPG.

PPG helmet?

You`ll be saying there`s dedicated PPG gloves, dedicated PPG boots, dedicated PPG suits, and dedicated PPG socks next!!

I bought the Horus PPG helmet over here in North America. Fits amazing and the electronics are very up to par with the task. I use a frs radio (cheaper walkie talke type) and a hand held aviation radio. I bought it with the side-tone (extra $$$) but worth it. I also like the fact that I can hook up my IPhone to it and listen to tunes or make a phone call if needed :roll: while attached to my other radio.

NAC_HORUS_PPG_zpsd91a0a2f.jpg

There is an EN966 'Certified for Air sports' standard I think the blue helmet shown in this thread is not certified.

there is also an EN standard certification for winter sports, I do not know what the difference is between the winter sports and the Air sports EN standard, does anyone know? this would answer the original question.

There is an EN966 'Certified for Air sports' standard I think the blue helmet shown in this thread is not certified.

there is also an EN standard certification for winter sports, I do not know what the difference is between the winter sports and the Air sports EN standard, does anyone know? this would answer the original question.

BIG subject do you mean ski helmet, ski-board helmet or skidoo (motorised skiing) helmet as they all have different standards

Air sports helmet Covering the ears or not covering the ears different again.

Today i would say that most helmets fit for motorised use would be very similar but if you had an accident with head injuries then your insurance would not pay out unless you were wearing an approved air sports helmet.

At the end of the day it is down to your personal preference as to which way you want to go.

No law says you have to wear one but would you fly with out one!!!!

Pete

Hey, thank you everone for your responses and sorry for responding so late. I'm leaning towards buying the Icaro TZ helmet right now (only read good about them and it seems like you get alot of helmet for your money) with the Loescher LUH-1 radio + 3,5mm-cable integrated in the radio cable so it would be possible to connect a MP3-player etc.

I have one question about getting a visor. My instructor told me that he didn't like the visors he had on his helmets (not Icaro-helmets) as he experienced some kind of uncomfortable air pressure between the visor and face. Do any of you have experience with visors? If so, do you have similar experiences as my instructor or does/did it work well with your helmet? I live in the north of Sweden and it gets really cold at winter (around -35* C) so a visor would be great when flying in cold weather. Again, appreciate your help.

You tell me what accident you're going to have and I can tell you what helmet you need.

In some accidents, a large, heavy helmet may cause a brachial plexus injury. In other accidents, a small light helmet may not be sufficient to prevent localised trauma.

It is my personal view that the helmet must be comfortable and must not restrict the wearers vision or movement. If you're constantly fiddling with an awkward helmet, you're less likely to be concentrating on flying and so more likely to have an accident.

Windy visor problems can usually be solved with a small quantity of adhesive backed draught excluder tape applied to the upper or lower edge of the visor. My motorcycle helmet is a Roof open face type with a visor; when I first used it, I had an annoying draught straight upward into my eyes. A small piece of draught excluder tape and some experimentation fixed that.

For flying, I use and Icaro Tz with earcups but no visor.