Forward Launch Or Reverse ??

I was out (again) ground handling today. Quite thermic conditions but its all good experience.

The wind was varying from 2mph up to about 7.

My question is this..

When the wind speed is borderline do you do a robust forward or a weak reverse ?

I was finding a forward was nearly pulling me over backwards, and a reverse was only just getting there with an immediate turn and some running to get the wind over it.

Any advice gratefully received..

:tripup:

• 2 weeks later...

On a related note, what is the minimum windspeed required to get a modern (reflex) wing up and flying overhead (as in performing a reverse launch) or ground handling it for extended period. ie: not too little wind that it goes up, down....up...down.... but flying for a length of time so you can do all the handling manoeuvres?

I know you`ll say windspeed at xmph, but how would you describe that - a slight breeze, a steady breeze, strong breeze, or...?

knowing the exact Wind speed is IMO kind of irrelevant when your learning and aslo when you have gone solo.

Its all down to feel... All wings are different some come up very fast some hang back.

I always set my wing up and try to launch with the A's and D's.. If it comes up and sits there i will reverse if not Forward.

Easy..

• 2 weeks later...

The wing will make a big difference as the guys said.

I have the speedster I've never done a forward with it. Worst case I do a fast reverse. I also have a Dudek I have done many forwards on this wing.

As you get more and more practice you will just know. You will pick up on what the wind is doing as you lay out your gear etc. My last flight there was maybe 1-2kns of wind but every min or so there was nice 2-4kn pulses coming through. So I just set up for a reverse and timed the pulses.

"I always set my wing up and try to launch with the A's and D's.. " I do the same so many guys only use the A's. On the strong days the D's help you control the rise of the glider so nice. I see so many guys getting lifted off their feet due to uncontrolled rise of the glider.

cheers guys

One thing I can tell you!!!! You can never ground handle enough!!!!

I was lucky I lived on a small island. We had a free flying site with a large take-off. Some days we would get cheeky and have glider fights while ground handling and jumping around so we really had the opportunity to learn how to handle a glider.

I miss that site!

The wing will make a big difference as the guys said.

I have the speedster I've never done a forward with it. Worst case I do a fast reverse. I also have a Dudek I have done many forwards on this wing.

As you get more and more practice you will just know. You will pick up on what the wind is doing as you lay out your gear etc. My last flight there was maybe 1-2kns of wind but every min or so there was nice 2-4kn pulses coming through. So I just set up for a reverse and timed the pulses.

"I always set my wing up and try to launch with the A's and D's.. " I do the same so many guys only use the A's. On the strong days the D's help you control the rise of the glider so nice. I see so many guys getting lifted off their feet due to uncontrolled rise of the glider.

cheers guys

You will only get lifted off the ground is because you are anchoring the wing too much which will cause it to come up quick then you have to put a lot of brake in to stop it overshooting you.

SO when the wing starts to come up walk towards it and it will come up a lot slower which you should not have to brake, even if you do brake the wing to stop it over shooting it will not be enough to lift you off.

Pete

What I was getting at was high wind take offs where you need to control the rate of glider rise.

I was taking off in 11-13kns two weeks ago and used the “c’ instead of the “d’s” to control the rate of rise but with the “c” it also takes the power out of the wing as it comes over your head.

I see many people only use the “a’s” in moderate wind and cannot get to the glider fast enough as it comes up and they end up getting “yanked” or they manage to get under the glider but end up with a frontal due to the lack of brake.

I use the paraglider free flight method of holdering the risers. I do not use the brakes for glider control but use the “d’s” to guid the glider. I think it takes more practice to master but in the end gives you more control.

Just my POV