Best radio setup, if you had the money...

mazzy1026

Afternoon All...

When I started PPG, I'd spent that much money on all my gear etc, that I ended up with a £15 skateboarding helmet from Halfords, a PMR radio from Maplin (one of their high spec one's in fairness) and a basic converted headset.

Whilst it's moderately comfy and perfectly safe, one thing that is frustrating is the lack of clarity when talking to other pilots. It's nigh on impossible to communicate, given the interference and external noise.

If you had the money for something that functioned really well (not interested in bling) what would be a good setup? I'm talking a couple of hundred pounds say? My main goal is to be able to communicate mid air, as clearly as possible - and I'm open minded to a closed helmet as well, keep the wind out your face!

Any ideas/recommendations?

Cheers,

Lee

Agreed,

I have the Micro Avionics set up in the plane and on the Paramotor awesome kit and after sales service.

As far as 2m radios. Try and find one with 5w transmit power. Yeasu ??? (spelling) make some but they also make some 2w ones which are poo.

SW :D

Thanks for the replies gents...

You'll have to forgive me, but what's 2m and how does it differ from a PMR?

The headsets look good on the MA site - I suppose the other thing to thing about is the compatibility when talking to other pilots? I fancy the idea of the noise cancelling headset/helmet - presume any compatible radio can be used (give or take an adapter)?

Cheers,

Lee

Thanks for the replies gents...

You'll have to forgive me, but what's 2m and how does it differ from a PMR?

The headsets look good on the MA site - I suppose the other thing to thing about is the compatibility when talking to other pilots? I fancy the idea of the noise cancelling headset/helmet - presume any compatible radio can be used (give or take an adapter)?

Cheers,

Lee

MA helmets will work with nearly any radio and you can have two connected at the same time ( 2m and a pmr).

you can also have your ipod or phone connected at the same time. :-)

They really are the dogs gonads. I use two with a connecting lead so i can talk to the passenger and they can talk to me AND I have the radio connected as well.

Pete

• 1 year later...

Hello.

I fly a "Wing Pack", think Otto Lilienthal, so it is a glider with servo motor controls.

What is most important is SAFETY!.

Second, you can get a quality helmet, some have excellent headsets built-in.

The radio is the last part of the chain.

1 watt, 2 watts, 5 watts, that really has a minimal effect.

What does matter is the antenna.

If I have a 1 watt radio but a 3 Decibel gain antenna and you have a 5 watt radio but a minus 12 Decibel rubber duck antenna, I have OVER 20 times the signal over the air!

And, a 3 Decibel gain antenna is easy.

Good antennas are usually aluminum tubing, insulated at the correct points.

Your airframe is usually aluminum tubing, and can be insulated at the correct points.

Yes, your airframe can be your antenna.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_antenna

Remember, cost is not a factor, you are simply cutting your tubing, adding insulators, and nylon works well, and connecting your coax feedline to the correct points.

The use of the airframe as an antenna will have no effect on the structure.

The key advantage of a low power transmitter is battery life.

As you can clearly see, cost is not a factor.

Thank you.