I want to get started, in Reading!!

Hey folks, how we all doing?

I moved to Reading nearly 5 months ago. I have pondered over the idea of getting my microlight licence. However, due to costs involved i have persuaded myself to investigate the possibilities of learning to paramotor.

I'm pretty keen on flying. I graduated from University with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering and have flown solo in Gliders. So the idea of flying has been with me for a while now :)

So, with my new ambition to learn how to paramotor, and being Based in Reading, I would like to ask you guys where and how is the best place to get started? Is there a specified licence one must gain before going solo? (Obviously I want and need lessons). But do you need a licence to fly paramotors?

Also, what's the best way to get kit? any recommended websites/ shops out there?

I would be very grateful if anybody could point me in the right direction, with regards to instructors, clubs, equipment in and around the Reading area.

Cheers in advance

B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got enough in my Garage thanks !!

Flying is good for the soul. If you give up you will regret it...

I quit Hanggliding years ago... For about 3 years regretted it every time it was flyable...

Go on a PG cause and learn to free fly and Nail those landings without the motor...

MR Wood

Are you still flying ??

Thought you and enzo gave up..

I'm still around. Work commitments, weather, lack of suitable location nearby to fly from, and personal health, all conspire to keep me on the ground. Simons been good in so much as I have has use of his field when I can make it up there but its still a ball ache to travel for 1.5 to 2 hours to get a flight in and I only managed one last summer. (I could have done three flights if I had seized the right moment). There were many evenings outside of this that I could have flown had I had somewhere local to fly from. Living under the ATZ of Blackbushe and Farnborough also doesn't help.

I am on the cusp of moving on to fixed wing again. If I can find a local field with peeps who also fly PPG I will probably keep it up. If I don't find anywhere local to fly from it will probably be the end of PPG for me I am afraid.

Sad I guess but true.. Seeing folk on here local to me that also need a field to fly from gave me renewed hope of finding somewhere to go.

Bazmarsh, PPGWings and Slim > PM me if you guys want to pursue finding a local field somewhere ! I am up for that if it is possible.

:D

I used to have friends before I met you Woody......TROUBLEMAKER!

LOL stop hijacking forum threads.. SW will ban you ;)

And remember they are only real friends when they actually get you brand new Apple products at 50% off.. not just talk about it! :lol:

Well that's at least 5 of us. We will be able to rent our own strip soon enough! I'll keep an eye on this thread and will start doing the rounds again looking for nice local farmers. I tried one or two last year but they were not very happy about the idea at all. One of them had his own grass strip running NSEW across his land as well!

I'm based on the East side of Reading - getting tight between the ground and Heathrow controlled airspace but loads of decent fields.

Unfortunately I'm going to be without a paramotor for a while but would love to have a local place to ground handle.

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

I'm based on the East side of Reading - getting tight between the ground and Heathrow controlled airspace but loads of decent fields.

Unfortunately I'm going to be without a paramotor for a while but would love to have a local place to ground handle.

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

I know a location that's pretty open near Bracknell and can certainly be used for ground handling, and it could possibly be used as a take off site on occasion, but that needs checking out in a bit more detail.

Slim if you feel the need to fly maybe you can use my motor - PM me your details.

To Bazmarsh.. PPGWings ..Marky F please also PM your details including email addresses and contact details. I will re-commence the hunt for a field pretty soon that we can hopefully all use and is local. With 5 of us it may mean we can bribe a local farmer with a little wedge.

I have indeed had enough of twiddling thumbs and looking skyward :D

Can you give me a post code ? Ill pitch up and have a chat with you. Not really ready to fly but would like to catch up with you and chat about sites etc. will bring wing for a bit of a ground handle if that's ok?

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum Mobile App

Bazmarsh, Slim, Ppgwings, MarkyF and TrickyH - I just sent you all a PM with a first update on possible sites for Reading based fliers.

I have a couple of farms on my list that I will visit week after next - as I am away next week working in France.

If I succeed in convincing a few local farmers to let us fly I will add the locations to the information I just sent you.

Hope you find it useful! :wingover:

Darren.

Hi Darren

Good to see on Saturday,

It was nice to be able to fly in and say hello,shame you didnt have your motor because I think we could have got you airborne.

Wind direction was spot on for The Common,maybe next time.

Your Groundhandling is comming on,the other chap groundhandling with you was wearing a helmet,maybe next time :wink:

keep us posted on your progress on finding possible flying sites.

left you and went on bit of a fly round the town it turned out to be silky smooth air not like on the way in :)

Next time out I will get you to try the Bulldog.

see you in the air again soon...

Hi Darren

Good to see on Saturday,

It was nice to be able to fly in and say hello,shame you didnt have your motor because I think we could have got you airborne.

Wind direction was spot on for The Common,maybe next time.

Your Groundhandling is comming on,the other chap groundhandling with you was wearing a helmet,maybe next time :wink:

keep us posted on your progress on finding possible flying sites.

left you and went on bit of a fly round the town it turned out to be silky smooth air not like on the way in :)

Next time out I will get you to try the Bulldog.

see you in the air again soon...

Hey - Thanks so much for dropping (flying) in. Appreciated the tips and will catch up with you again soon. Helmet was err in the boot of the car on far side of the field..so point noted :oops: I could see your flight out was much better.

Wouldn't mind trying the Bulldog Moster. With the 2 blade helix it certainly didn't sound very noisy like I expected it to be.

I'll send you an email or PM shortly about all the bits we discussed in the field. I am determined to get more than 1 or 2 flights in this year!

Thanks again for coming over :D

• 2 weeks later...

So back to the Reading flying locations - after the sing song above :shock:

I asked another farmer today politely if we could fly from his fields. The answer was no ..again. I even offered to pay :roll:

For those on the PM I have sent an updated map link as there is a flying location (common land) close to the farm. He may well get upset now if you fly over his land so thought I should mark it out for reference.

Visiting another site tomorrow. Fingers crossed :wink: