Getting in the seat

Now that I have a front mounted reserve fitted, I've had to develop a new way to get into the seat after launching.

It used to be easy - launch, climb out to a safe altitude and pull knees up to chin and I was in.

The reserve prevents me from getting my knees up far enough to get in and wriggling just pushed the seat board further back.

Hanging in my workshop, I've developed a technique wherby I can find the back edge of the board with one hand and push it down.

Most pilots seem to slip effortlessley into the seat. What's the trick?

I struggled with this too on the motor i learnt with initially, however find it much easier with the Volution I fly with now.

You may find it easier if you clip up your left break toggle, then use your left thumb to slide the seat under you.

Also bear in mind that this time of year, you're wearing more layers than you will be in the summer, so take up more room. You'll probably find it gets easier as the layers come off!

Hth

Carl

yes- the legstraps are the critical factor here.

Very often the clips and loosen over a number of flights- one trick is to adjust them when you are doing a hang test- make sure you can comfortably enter and exit the seat, then sew a small piece of red thread into the strap to mark the postion the buckles should be at. This makes the pre-flight checks much easier.

Another point worth emphasising is the dangers of not getting into the harness when flying.

There is a condition know as 'suspension trauma' whereby the blood accumulates in the legs, and can cause the pilot to pass out- the consequences would be disastrous in such a case. It is recommended that for any harness- even safety fall arrest harnesses, that you spend a maximum of no more than 10 minutes in such a position.

So- if the harness is not right- land immediately and fix it- you may need all the time you have to land safely.

GD

Morgy - I'm flying a Bailey 175.

I fly with left hand throttle, so I parked the right brake and tried to use my right hand to get myself in - to no avail.

I am aware of suspension trauma, so I made a quick circuit and landed. During the circuit I pulled my legs up as high as I could several times to prevent circulation issues - I didn't fancy landing with cramp or numb legs.

The gradually slackening leg straps theory seems most likely. I had conciously avoided adjusting anything because I know it was right last time I flew.

I'll have another dangle this evening and try adjusting the leg straps.

Thanks all for the advice.

Hi Pete,

So far, throughout my flying career (two whole flights and counting...) I've struggled to get into the seat on my Bailey 175 too.

Last time out I managed with one brake parked, but even then I wasn't truly in "all the way" - it was comfortably & safely taking all my weight, but I know it comes further forward still; the difference between sitting on the edge of a deckchair and sitting back into a deckchair.

My instructor suggested I try pulling the seat right forward and down then connect and adjust the leg straps. While this makes standing upright and running a rather uncomfortable affair, I guess it should make getting into the seat easier once up.

Also, I noticed how the seat continues to slip further back while I'm preparing to launch; clipping in, finding the A's, centring on the wing, a quick power-up.... all these actions involve movement and all the time the seat it trying to wriggle its way higher and higher.

I have no doubt the winterwear makes a difference though, and look forward to slipping back into my seat without a moments thought in those barmy summer evenings... :D

Yes ,I had trouble getting into the seat also for my first couple of flights,I found experimenting with shoulder and especially leg strap adjustment worked wonders ,I tighten my leg straps just enough so I can just push my hand in,now when I take off im into the seat instantly with no effort,my motor is a parajet compact 2 with the lightweight harness :lol:

Hi Ptwizz

I am assuming the Bailey 175 harness is the same as the V5 and my old V3. There are two straps on the V5 and V3 harness connected to the shoulder straps. One adjusts the shoulder strap the other will raise the motor up and down your back... I find most do not have this set up correct and complain they can not rech the pull cord. (V5)

Stand with the motor on your back lean forward and pull the straps that are connected to the bottom of the chassis, This should be around 9-12 inches long. This will raise the unit on your back. It will also feel like you have adjusted the shoulder straps. Now do a hang check and sit in your motor, now adjust the shoulder straps. Be careful your not loosening or tightening the strap you have just adjusted... A mate to lend a hand is a good idea!!!

Now adjust to the leg straps you should be able to get your fingers down and around the leg straps.

If you were local i would say pop round for too get it set up..

Hope this helps

Mark

Hi Morgy,

I had wondered about the pair of thin straps which connect to the bottom of the cage, but there doesn't appear to be any method of adjusting them.

At the lower end, they are stithed into a non adjustable buckle.

At the top end, they appear to be simply threaded into the shoulder strap buckles.

Is the method of adjustment simply to pull them through the shoulder strap buckles? It looks like they would just pull back through and probably move the main shoulder strap adjustment in the process.

I didn't get the chance to hang test last night, I'll have a go with the benefit of your advice tonight.

Thanks again.

Hi Morgy,

I had wondered about the pair of thin straps which connect to the bottom of the cage, but there doesn't appear to be any method of adjusting them.

At the lower end, they are stithed into a non adjustable buckle.

At the top end, they appear to be simply threaded into the shoulder strap buckles.

Is the method of adjustment simply to pull them through the shoulder strap buckles? It looks like they would just pull back through and probably move the main shoulder strap adjustment in the process.

I didn't get the chance to hang test last night, I'll have a go with the benefit of your advice tonight.

Thanks again.

Hi,

Short answer is yes, they feed through the main sholder straps. and they move quite easily. I find that I have to readjust them after every 2-3 filghts. i.e. when it is on your back leaning forward I can then pull the straps, and when i stand back upright it is sitting much higher on your back.

It does not seem to adjust the main sholder strap buckles in my case it sort of slides through. It makes all the difference for me in starting as well. If it has gone out of adjustmnt I cannot get the leverage on the pull start that I need. But when correctly adjusted I can.

It only takes a few seconds to adjust once it is on your back. But it is easier to start with to get some one else to help so that you can see what is going on.

• 2 weeks later...

More hanging in the workshop at the weekend and I think I've got it. With some adjustment of the leg straps and the straps connecting to the bottom of the cage, I can now get into the seat without using my hands.

I still don't understand how the straps connecting the bottom of the cage to the shoulder straps affect the process, but I've found the correct adjustment and I shall mark it with a few stitches in contrasting thread colour as suggested by Gordon.

Thanks everyone for your advice.