Paraglider to Paramotor Spirals

Hi guys,

Done heaps of spirals on a paraglider before but havent tried one with a motor strapped to my back. I understand the extra 30 odd kg will give the wing a higher loading therefore less stable and a higher G spiral, but is there anything I need to watch out for? Do you turn the motor off before entering a spiral? cheers

Spirals aren't worth the strain they put on your kit. There have been accidents where bolts have broken. PG harnesses are somewhat lighter and tougher.

But power on landings (with your experience) can be great fun, and don't strain your gear. Just kill the motor before the lines reach the prop, or make sure the lines don't reach it. (know where your wings stall point is first !)

Its comes down to your kit, if your flying with high hang points then there is no real additional issue, the higher weight wont make your wing more unstable, you don't need to kill the engine either in fact I never do, I'd rather have it running when I come out of the spiral particularly if thats low, just keep hand contact off the throttle lever and let it tick over and enter the spiral as normal, an accidental blast on the throttle whilst in the spiral will likely increase the speed of rotation, same applies if you have low hang points, but then the design and quality of the swing arms is a major factor, check with the manufacturer they may have some comments on spirals, personally I still think its the best form of rapid descent and the g can be controlled and kept to a minimal level by keeping the spiral under control and I always check my harness, swing arms and mallions thoroughly after spiralling. I sometimes use a bit of throttle coming out of a spiral but this depends on the trim settings i have at the time. Personally I think spirals can be exercised safely with a paramotor but like anything it comes down to the kit, your skill and the conditions you are doing it in.

Personally... all, from neutral to full fast, i.e full out. The induction is relative to the trim settings in terms of brake pressure to induce, as is the wing position, i,e on full fast the leading edge drops lower. All gliders are different so take advice from your manufacturer and and then practice on the range of trim settings they advise by inducing just 2 rotations initially and recovering each time with weight shift and outside brake until your comfortable, keeping it comfortable is the key and not allowing the g/rotation speed to build up. Spirals are fun and useful but an extreme manoeuvre if in doubt about them seek some training or do a SIV.