Ground handling poll!

Richard1910

How many people use a Ground handling harness to practise launches?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How many people use a Ground handling harness to practise launches?

• I use a ground handling harness
    • I use just my motor
    • I use both
    • I don't practice
    • What's one of those?

Need another option. I usually kite by holding the risers without a harness. A's and B's in one hand (around the the location of the upper pulley) and the other hand holding the C's and D's. I control the wing using lateral movements of the C/D hand and can adjust the trim of the wing crudely by pulling one hand slightly in while letting the other one out. I find this method really lets me feel what the air is doing.

I love the ground stuff,

Crap on a flat field but if you get in and around some contours you can hop and moon jump over them and have some great fun!

Good to do if you feel like your not quite ready to launch.

Have a hop about. :D

SW :D

There is an element of danger attached to kiting without a harness, it's fine if you remember to let go but it is possible to hang on by accident and get yourself enough air to get hurt, ok for the experienced but I'd say the investment in a harness is worth every penny.

The following is from a paragliding site...

Kiting Wing Unattached to Body. You may have seen someone kiting his wing by the risers, unattached to his body through the harness, just held by hands. There is no need for this. Many people have died after being pulled up and dropped. Fatality examples : Portugal in May 2004, Tirol in 1999, Slovenia in 1991.

Edited by Guest

As you know Dan,,

I won't let anyone learning to Paramotor with me ground handle a wind without a harness, I can see no reason at all for it. Not a dig VN32.

I know loads of people do, just not my bag.

SW :D

Just an observation.... i often see people ground handling (with or without a harness) but without a helmet.

It seems to me that this is the one situation where you are actually the most likely to need a helmet as you are close to the hard bit and are pushing your abilities, probably in a wind.

Your noddle is very soft and even a bump on the grass can result in concussive damage.

Oh dear I sound like my mother............ :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

same goes for kite flying, buggies, wheel boards etc etc.

Well i don't think you can really practice ground handling without some sort of harness, i have kited my wing without a harness but this is just to get the wing in the air to check there's no tangled lines etc. before i put it away (that's if it's ended up in a big heap) without a harness you can't practice forward and reverse launches properly which is why i posted this poll to see if it's worth buying a practice harness, i must have the heaviest Paramotor on the planet!

Exactly. I never said I was practising launches just kiting it. I like to feel the air (I personally find I get more feedback this way than through the harness) and use the chance to make sure the lines are not crossed. Obviously I wouldn't do this if the conditions made it risky but I like the fact that if anything takes you by surprise you can just let go. There are no real rights or wrongs, just what works for you.

[quote, i must have the heaviest Paramotor on the planet!

Bet you dont 33 kilos dry weight

Pete b

33!? :shock: Do you have an anchor aboard just incase it gets too windy! :D

Mines 30K dry

"I must have the 2nd heaviest Paramotor on the planet!" :lol:

And then theres fuel,Reserve,and all the other little bits

Pete b

Ps ancher only weighs 500grams its aluminium :D:D