Dudek Synthesis

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I was trying to find out what size I would need, I am looking to get a new wing hopefully this year. I weigh 84kg (minimum clothes). I fly a H&E Ziclone 80 say approx 24kg no fuel. I currently fly a medium (27 m2) swing arcus 2.

Also how much will they be?

Cheers

John

Sounds like you will require a Dudek Either ReAction, or Synth (if buying a dudek of course) or a Paramania Revolution (my selection) in a 28. (Large)

As I say you can fly them if you are here on the 26th and 27th of May (next weekend)

Please let me know if I can be any more help to you :D:D

Where do you live?

Edited by Guest

thanks,

I was suprised that people flying mediums go to large, I thought that people getting reflex wings such as the revolutions were going to a smaller size, i could be wrong.

I thought the original thinking was that you fly a wing in its hill range (arcus 80-105) and add a motor. Looking at the weight ranges, even on a large 95-120, I would be 20kg over? I reckon I am approx 140 all up (inc wing).

I realise things have changed with these new wings, but I would like to understand about the weight range. The dudek site is not very clear with the diagram that is supposed to clear things up :D

cheers

john

• Downvote 1

I am waiting for a quick call back from Clive on this, but you could well be better of going for the 31. I do know that it is nothing to be 20kg over on a wing but NEVER 20kg under!

The calculation is fairly simple, if you look at the Dudek chart again, only look at the two wings of interest to you. The both account 100% for the weight of the motor, so.....

a 31 would see you 5kg over with a full tank and then under with an empty tank LOL

Clive will rescue me soon I am sure LOL keep watching :D

OK,

I have spoken to Clive (the UK importer) he has an allup weight of close to 140kg as well and he flies a 31 ReActioon.

His reccomendations / Reasons were, The top end speed stays the same as a smaller wing, but the slower stuff happens much slower. (landings I assume) I have mixed feelings about under loading wings and think its much better to be in the middle or top of it.

He also suggests that the Synth is a beginner wing and that a ReAction would be a better option for existing pilots (assuming that you have been flying for a year or so.)

If not I would go for the Revolution or synth. (synths are very cheep in the second hand marketplace, due to the market being saturated with cheep new ones a while back.)

SW :D

Edited by Guest

Hi,

No I weigh ~85. I reckoned that 85 + reserve 3 + wing 6 + motor 30 (full) + clothes 1 + boots 1 + equip 2 is 128 which is not far off my arcus's max ppg range of 140.

I looked at the arcus specs vs the synthesis, the medium arcus is 29/25 flat/projected surface area, the dudek large is the same 29/25, I guess this is because tandem wings are now separate, in effect dudek offer a smaller wing than pg used to.

it seems like clothes manufacturers, wing sizes have been renamed, probably for the better, looking at the specs, I now see why people on mediums go to large, they are the same area.

http://www.para2000.org/wings/index.html

http://www.para2000.org/wings/dudek/synthesis.html

What you are saying about the chart makes sense, that it includes the weight of a motor, but the chart actually says ADD 100% of the motor (probably lost in translation), I found this confusing, especially when the other wings say ADD 50%.

So it looks like the 29 synthesis or reaction then.

Now, does anyone have reasons why to pick one over the other. And to really stir things up, how does it compare to the revolution?

Sorry to ask these questions but it is a large wedge to part with and I want to make a good decision.

I guess at the end of the day they are all pretty similar?

Thanks for your help

John

The Paramania Revolution Is also an AWESOME wing. (and my first choice any day)

ReAction

For people who have been flying for a while, 20 hours or more I would say. The reason, more pilot input required, fast take off and landings. more agility in the air and 5kph more speed.

Synth

A Reflex wing for beginers, slower take off but still fast!, slower landings but still fast!, a little less top end, more stable, less agile than the ReAction.

That said, it depends what you want from your flying.

I have to also say this about the Dudek V Revolution thing, Paramanias MD (Mike Campbell Jones, invented the Reflex section for Paragliders, it has been copied by many (including Dudek)

I will stick with the origonal inventors brand for sure.

SW :D

Edited by Guest

thanks for the info,

I must admit to being a recreational pilot, I have been flying for a couple of years but not amassed huge amounts of air time. I am aiming to do as much as possible now. I am torn between the safety aspect of the synth vs the react.

I think that the 29 will be right.

Well thanks again, time to start saving.

John

A couple of bits of info which might help. I have flown ReAction extensively (27 and 29), currently fly Plasma 28 and have flown two of the Synthesis prototypes. My Synthesis comments are based on the prototypes as I haven't flown the final production model.

The Synthesis is faster than the ReAction at trim speed but has less speed on full speedbar. Many pilots rarely, if ever, use speedbar and they may find that for their flying the Synthesis is faster. The Synthesis requires more rpm for level flight than the ReAction as it is a slightly less efficient design. Having done tests on ReAction Vs Revolution and ReAction Vs Synthesis, I believe that the Synthesis is a little more efficient than the Revolution. However, to prove this I would need to test them back to back on the same day.

The Synthesis could well be a wing which people never upgrade from. If the small increase in economy and max speed on bar are not important then the Synthesis would be great. The landing speed is less intimidating than the ReAction (and considerably less intimidating than the Plasma!).

In terms of wing size, my experiences match Clive's views - the difference in top end speed is minimal if making a step of 2 sq.m. If you take big steps (e.g. comparing a 29 ReAction with a 23 sq.m GT) then size DOES become a significant factor. However, stall speed also increases with a small wing and that brings its own 'features'.

When flying in reflex mode, the lift producing section of wing is considerably smaller than the flat OR projected figures from the spec sheets. I don't know the exact numbers, but I would suggest that a 29 sq.m reflex wing has an effective area of less than 20 sq.m when flying at full speed. This is because the back end of the wing is no longer being used to produce lift. This is one of the reasons why we achieve such a wide speed range on reflex wings - the wing size is adjusted with the speedbar.

This IS a simplification as many other factors come into play but hopefully it helps to explain why we sometimes fly a larger reflex wing than traditional PG wing (e.g. I'm currently trying out a 24 sq.m traditional wing) and it's the right size for me.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks as well Clive and Dave.

I will be coming to Alconbury and it looks like you will be there so I will come and speak to you about sizes etc.

Regards

John

I currently fly a Revolution 28. My all up weight is 320-330 lbs. Motor/fuel/wing/etc.etc. I am looking at a 29 Synthesis, or Reaction TST. What would be the proper size? My age is 56 years old, and I want as slow a takeoff and landing Reflex wing from Dudek as possible. Thank you.

Hi Simon.

Both ;-)

If the weather aint great on saturday, I will go in the afternoon for a look round and a chat.

I will take all my kit on sunday in case there is an oportunity.

See you there

John

I currently fly a Revolution 28. My all up weight is 320-330 lbs. Motor/fuel/wing/etc.etc. I am looking at a 29 Synthesis, or Reaction TST. What would be the proper size? My age is 56 years old, and I want as slow a takeoff and landing Reflex wing from Dudek as possible. Thank you.

As you are an existing pilot I would suggest a 31 ReAction. You can slow the landings down like any other wing, dont be scared off be seeing (fast landings) written in the messages you read. The wing has got brakes :wink:

I hope this is of use.

Hi Simon,

I do fancy going but at the same time dont want to miss a flying day ( sunday is looking good ) is there room in the car to take flying kit? what time you going to head up and what sort of time you looking at getting back. The answer is more than likely yes.

Cheers Col....

Hi Simon, I expect I'll be looking at moving on from my Wave to a Synthesis over the next couple of months. I'll be at Alconbury tomorrow (Sunday) and will try to find you to say hello.

Regards

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing those videos is much appreciated. I am becoming convinced that this is the wing I'm looking for. At the moment I'm just trying to make sure my wife doesn't see my current wing more than neccessary so hopefully she won't recognise when it mysteriously changes colour overnight!