Carb ice chart.

• 5 months later...
As a point of interest, are there any icing issues with fuel injection engines, such as perhaps icing of the throttle valve?

In PPL school I was taught that icing impacting engine performance is not an issue with fuel injection... of course icing of wings, control surfaces etc still pose, ahem, challenges

• 6 months later...

Icing is mainly caused by the pressure (and hence temperature) drop across the venturi, coupled with evaporative effects from the fuel. An injected engine doesn't require the venturi to ensure mixing and atomization, so in effect doesn't have on, significantly reducing the likelihood of intake icing.

• Upvote 1

It is true that injected engines don't have a venturi as such, but they (i.e. our petrol engines) still have a throttle which causes a significant pressure change, more than the venturi of a conventional carburettor.

The difference would be that the carburettor has a fuel jet at the location of the pressure change. Evaporation of the fuel has a cooling effect which may contribute to icing. The icing then affects the flow around the jet and prevents the carburettor from operating properly, resulting in poor engine performance.

I am interested to know whether injected engines avoid icing altogether (by removing the jet from the area of pressure drop) or are simply more tolerant of icing?

• 3 years later...