Bailey v5 pull start while in the harness

Jacoolw

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 45 hours on my Bailey V5 and have no problem starting it as Mark describes (I was almost reduced to tears when it took 20 pulls as winter came after the carb was changed..)

The only niggle is the difficulty reaching the handle whilst on my back, its never easy but I shall attach a short loop of cord to the handle so that its 2 inches nearer and also it will be possible to hook it with one finger rather than having to grab it with finger and thumb.

Will let you all know if it works.

Nige

Nigel...

Not being able to reach the starter is normally due to the shoulder strap that goes to the bottom of the chassis not being tight enough. I have seen it so many times. Make sure the strap are around 9-12 inches long...

Regards

Mark

Cheers Simon, it's safe, the loop hangs in a semi circular arc off the bottom of the starter handle rather like the step/loop on a speedbar.

Mark, I have experimented with the straps, I have about a foot of strap sticking forward of the buckles. It could just be my shoulders not being able to reach back as far as others but I have heard of other owners with similar problems. It is worse when wearing lots of layers. One time I stood up and found it impossible to reach because the handle had swung round and layed flat against the cage however I overcame it by going down on one knee and allowing the motor to be pushed up my back by the back of my knelt boot pushing the bottom of the frame if you can visualise. The frame is then much closer to the back of my neck and the handle is within reach wherever it hides.

Cheers

Nige

I think mine must be an inch or so further back, I normally reach to the back of my helmet and rest a couple of fingers on it then push my head back so as to extend my reach, but like I say its no good if the handle has moved to the side.

I,ll have another harness adjustment session when I get a minute and see if I can get it nearer.

Cheers

Nige

Hello Darius

The Bailey online manual (you can see for yourself of course) says 0.004 in for both exhaust and inlet valve clearances.

The top being inlet and bottom exhaust.

The V5 exhaust valve isn't a regular set-up. The easy start system pushes the exhaust valve down a very small amount when you pull the starter.

In Jaco's case (Jaco has the same symptoms as I had before I adjusted the exhaust valve) the easy start mechanism isn't pushing the exhaust valve down enough, .....compression is too high etc.

I suggested making the gap smaller or making it absolutely certain that the cam lobe was at its lowest.

Ta

Rob

Hi

I made the gap smaller (0.09mm) as sugested by Rob and the compression was noticeably less!

It still took 3/4 pulls to start. I won't make it any smaller in case this cause other issues.

As far as i know adjusting the gap will alter the timing... Changing the Spec's will Invalidate the Bailey warranty

0.09mm = 0.00354 inchs

I think this would be well within tolerance. i.e. it is only 0.00046 of an inch out. To be honest I doubt it would make any differance.

I doubt that even with feeler gauges you would be able to measure the difference.

I will put my neck on the line and guess that it is set to the metric equivalient that is marked on the back of most metric feeler gauge sets for 0.004. Am I right?

• 4 months later...

:cry::cry::cry::evil:

Hi

Are there any Bailey v5 owners who are able to pull start the engine while in the harness? I have arms like a baboon :) but just can't start it while in the harness, even when the engine is warmed up. I follow the manual starting recommendations to the letter.

With the engine on the ground it will take between 5 and 8 pulls to start when cold and 4 - 6 when warm. I use the recommended oil and 98 octane petrol.

Someone suggested the that pull cord is to long?

Jaco

Parajet Zenith (Bailey) v5

I've had problems starting my V5 from new. I'm miffed....I dreadhaving an engine stall.

When I first got the thing I couldn't start it at all...There was a gremlin which fixed itself.

I'm very disapointed however once it's running it's great and very economical.

I think the carb needs to be finely tuned.

Hi I am very new in Paramotor and in this Forum (sorry for my poor English).

I got a brand new one V5 Zenith and faced exactly same troubles as Jaco for starting my engine.

On the ground 3/4 attempts and on my back almost impossible... Same as Jaco is too heavy to pull out.

Besides above, my engine is shutting off it self if in idle for a while. I need to keep pushing the throttle any time the rpm gets "weak".

I have been following Jaco's report on this Forum (not yet reached the end of the history

) but would like to share it here.

I will keep reading and hopeful will find a solution at the end.. :)

Folks,

Today I went for testing my V5 Bailey on the ground putting in practice what I have learned reading the posts here.

A part from a initial distraction :oops: some unsuccessfully attempts with switch in off position!!

Next, I followed the guidances I got here: pumping gasoline, pulled the throttle twice to full position and keeping a bit in throttle when for starting, so my Bailey started in the second attempt. (although, from my expectation is still heavy to do it).

After, I turned it off again and repeated starting it over and over 2 or 3 times. Successfully some times in the first, sometimes in the second attempt :)

OK time to put the engine on my back and try to pull start the engine while in the harness.

Yes, after some difficulty moving to reach the handle. Some moving to manage the pull cord to obtain a best not so heavy position.. less heavy as possible. It worked in the second attempt, but I still have to use both hands to do it; still too heavy for one hand :cry: - possibly I am still not doing it as should... not sure what is the best relative position/direction to pull the cords: more horizontal or vertical ?!?

I watched some videos on youtube where the pilots were just using one hand and re-starting the engine easily and using only one hand!!! With a small effort, right in the first 20cm the engine started... I am dreaming with that!!

I am wondering if I am still needing to refine my technics or adjust something in the engine, like idle throttle...

Any pilot here using Bailey V5 with electronic start?? Comments please...

Silvio

Parajet Zenith | Bailey V5 Manual start with CVK

Hi Silvio

I still have to use 2 hands to start when the engine is on my back, but this does not bother me anymore. Don't spend hours messing around with settings like I did :-)

The only change I made that made pulling easier was moving the pulley to the right hand side, this makes the rope more inline with the hole in the assembly.

Another mistake I made when I first started was with the engine on my back keep trying when it does not want to start until I was so tired I had to pack up and go home. If it does not want to start after 6 pulls, put the engine on the ground, start it and let it run for a few minutes. Then try again with it on your back.

I now always start and run the engine on the ground before putting it on my back.

Don't worry after about 15 hours it gets easier to start, I can now always start my engine with less than 4 pulls, but I do have to use 2 hands.

I believe this is because the zenith pulley is too low on the frame, and/or does not swivel,.

This was pointed out by morgy an Paul b, but I foolishly did not believe them back then :-)

As a last resort you can start it on the ground, lift it up on a Cooler box or something that is about 50cm of the ground and then get in the harness while the engine is running, this is a bit dangerous, but at least you will not have to go home without flying.

Jaco

• 3 months later...