Bailey v5 pull start while in the harness

Jacoolw

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Mark, Ricky and I went flying this afternoon and thought we should video us starting ours. Since last week I had a problem restarting mine in the air and having to land out.

The fix for me was to adjust the harness as it was too low on my back. It looks as though your is in the same sort of position i.e. you are having to pull up and straight out instead of down and across.

To my thinking (If i remember my mechanics correctly) If it took 30 kg of force to pull the chord to turn the engine over enough to start it. Then if you are pulling up on the chord it is only really using the pulley as a guide and you will neen to exert the full 30kg of force.

However if you are pulling down on the chord i.e. looped round the pulley, then only 15kg of force is required as the pulley would effectively half the force required.

I am not 100% sure if I am explaining what I mean, let me know if not and I will try to draw something out to explain it better.

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PLKmppe03E

I hope it helps

Barry

thank you Barry

Maybe Parajet can build me an extention that will lift the pulley by 20/30cm.

But that still does not explain why it got so hard to pull after the engine ran for 3 minutes.

cheers,

Jaco

It does, the fact that the engine is warm has nothing to do with the amount of force require to overcome the compression of the engine. Although you would expect it to fire easier because it is hot etc.

I dont know how strong the frame is on the Zenith, but the way that bailey solve this is with a coller that attaches to the upright with the pulley on strap above that. This allows it to be infinatly adjustable and very easy to make.

It could also be fitted on either support then allowing for both left and right hand throttle.

I also notice that you have the throttle in your right hand which means that you cannot pull start and control the throttle at the same time. On a zenith can the throttle be reversed as I think you will find it easier to control in your left and pull with your right.

Edited by Guest

I mean it is much harder to pull once the engine is warm.

The first start (cold) I could pull it over with one hand. After it ran for 3 minutes, I had to use 2 hands.

cheers,

Jaco

Not 100% on that, unless the engine is expanding when it is hot and the piston expands in the chamber causing more compression. Just a guess though.

The spars on the Zenith clips onto the engine mount plates with a spring clip, it won't be able to support a pulley. They will have to build a 20-30cm extention that screws onto the plate where the pulley is now mounted and then the pulley will have to go on top of that.

Parajet told me that they have other customers with Zeniths's and Bailey motors and that they don't have a problem with starting. I'm still not convinced that the main problem is with the pulley or technique.

I would say on my engine it gets about 30% harder to pull once the engine is warm. This is just enough to force me to use to hands to start, because I then have to use 2 hand, I can't pull the cord as far out as with one hand, or control the throttle as well as with one hand, this justs adds to the problem

Dude, its starting to sound like the only option for you is to get the engine back to either Bailey or Parajet.

No one can tell from your posts what the 'actual' problem is :-(

If you mess with it yourself they may not be so happy to help. (in a void if seal broken style)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

SW :D

Hi

Having watched your video...

I can say the machine is low on your back. I can not comment on the Parajet Harness but the bailey one has two straps. The thin one will raise the machine up on your back the other just tightens the shoulder straps straps up. I does look like the P jet harness has them... On the Bailey Harness the average person should have this about 9 inches or more up to 12inches... Almost touching the centre cross strap.

Your also NOT taking it past the Compression as was first said. This for ME is a must!!!

When the machine was on the ground pulling straight out it fired up like our machines... But on the ground it's very hard to crack the throttle Hold the machine. and is also dangerous.

When on your back there is a squeak this tells me there is something binding.

Also why do you have the throttle and the pulley on the same side??? you need to be able to crack the throttle on the bailey after pumping it 4/5times when cold and only crack the throttle when hot/warm. You can not do this with both on the same side!!! It also looks like your not cracking the throttle open to 1/4 - 1/2

Silly question??? you have Checked there is Oil in the Machine as bailey send/ship there motors with NO oil in them. YOUR Dealer should have done this!!

Simon is correct get it to the Dealer. He should have showed you around the machine and made sure you could put it together start it etc etc Before you took your machine.

I spoke to Paul yesterday while collecting some more V5's he has not had time to view the video as he is trying get the last remaining machines out before Christmas.

I am sure they will respond very soon.

Regards

Mark

Hi

reply from Bailey:

"When the starter is pulled the engine appears not to turn over as easily as it should, this could be a number of things, firstly (and rather obvious) has the engine got the correct grade of oil in, it should be 10W-40 or 10w-60 fully synthetic and filled up to the top of the oil window.

Secondly there is a 'whirring' noise from the starter pulley as the rope is pulled, this suggests friction, I am not fully familiar with the Parajet pulley arrangement but if this is a 'bushed' pulley rather than a ball raced one it may need some lubrication.

Thirdly, as the rope is pulled, for the first 6 inches or so it is clear of the harness shoulder pad, after that the rope touches the pad at a progressively increasing angle as the pull reaches its full travel, this will cause a great deal of friction. I would suggest adjusting the harness straps so the machine is much higher on your back to prevent/reduce this.

One more thing I noticed is that when the engine is pulled and does not start the prop stops rather abruptly, this could be drive belt tension slightly loose (see manual for correct tension adjustment DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN) which would make starting slightly harder due to the reduced inertia effect of the prop as the belt slips slightly. It is possible and quite easy to start the V5 on your back without the prop on though i.e. zero prop inertia.

My conclusion is that I do not think there is a fault with the engine but would recommend reducing the friction affecting the rope during its travel. 1)Pulley, lubrication??? 2)Stop rope fouling harness pad during travel, (adjust harness so machine is higher)."

Hi

I'm still waiting on Parajet to reply now that the engine has been ruled out as the cause of the problem.

In the mean while I start the engine on the ground, then lift it onto a cooler bin and then slip into the harness, but it is just a matter of time before I get a finger chopped off :D

I made this video on Saturday, it is probably the first time anyone has flown this site: [youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

I think my problems are over :lol:

Yesterday I got it to start while it was on my back.

I started it on the ground and noticed it started very easy on the second pull, I then went flying for an hour, when I landed I killed the engine and tried to start it again, it started on the 6th pull. :D:D

It now pulls much easier and I notice the propeller keeps on turning over for one or 2 revolutions after I stopped pulling, previously it stopped as soon as I stopped pulling.

There was 2 differences from previous attemts:

1. Previously I kept the oil level at +- 85% full. After reading Paul Bailey's email, I filled it to 100% full.

2. On this flight I realy gave the engine a work out for the first time, climbing for minutes at a time with the throttle at 80 - 90 %. Previously I only used 50% or less throttle, except for take-off.

Hi

I went flying today and the engine started from cold on the third pull. :)

Thanks to everyone on this Forum for all the help and suggestions.

btw. Parajet responded and told me that they are designing a new pulley which should make things even easier.