Bailey v5 pull start while in the harness

Jacoolw

Hi

Are there any Bailey v5 owners who are able to pull start the engine while in the harness? I have arms like a baboon :) but just can't start it while in the harness, even when the engine is warmed up. I follow the manual starting recommendations to the letter.

With the engine on the ground it will take between 5 and 8 pulls to start when cold and 4 - 6 when warm. I use the recommended oil and 98 octane petrol.

Someone suggested the that pull cord is to long?

Jaco

Parajet Zenith (Bailey) v5

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I can not comment on the Zenith set up, but every Bailey V5 owner i know and have sold too have no issue restarting while in the air. Even the one's with Baboon arms

Firstly i would suggest going back to your dealer and get a hang check just to make sure the geometry is correct if you can not find the Pull cord.

Also You say it takes 5-6 pulls to restart??? What carb do you have PWK or the New CVK? The PWK can be a bit of a pig.

I regularly switch of while thermaling and ridge soaring and have not had an issue with the new CVK. My PWK carb V5 Had two starting procedures depending on how long i was turn off for. If i was thermalling at height and for a long time 45m 1h30m and the motor would get very cold and i would have to use the primer bulb switch on the choke. I also had to crack the throttle open a tad then pull start... Basically the same as you would on your back while warming it up. The other way was to just crack the throttle open a little no choke and pull.

The CVK is similar while cold on the ground But with no choke.

Prime until the bulb goes hard. Very cold conditions 5-6 pumps on the throttle then pull the pull start cord. It may fire once then stop. This is normal try again. As there is no choke it will need little pumps on the throttle to maintain rev's and to stop it from cutting out... Normal operating temps... Primer bulb until it goes solid. A couple of pumps on the throttle crack the throttle a tad 1/4 throttle then pull start. Again you may need to gentle pump on the throttle until it has warmed slightly... Again this is because there is no choke and uses a primer pump on the side of the carb.

The pull start should be almost touching the back of your head while seated in the machine. On a Bailey V5.

Basically go back to your dealer to fit you into the harness correctly and to show you the starting. Get the carb upgrade if you do have the PWK.

hope this helps

Mark

http://www.sussexparamotors.co.uk

Hi Mark

I have no problem with finding and pulling the cord while in the harness, but with the engine on my back I can't pull as hard or as much cord as when it is on the ground.

When pull starting the first 20cm of pull takes a lot of effort, is this the same on yours?

It is a new Bailey engine, they finished building it 2/3 weeks ago, so I'm sure it is the CVK carb.

I'll get in contact with the dealer to try and sort out the problem.

thanks for your help.

Jaco

Hi

I tried again today without success, the compression is just to much, I have to use two hands to pull the cord when the engine is on my back, even when taking it past the compression. Unlike your video and the Bailey video on Facebook it never get easy to pull, it just goes from very hard , the first 30cm to hard to pull the cord. To give you an idea of how hard it is to pull, I asked people walking past to help me start it. 2 women and a young boy were unable to start it, one women were not even able to get it past the first 30cm.I had to get a grown man to start it, it started after 4 pulls. This is after I warmed the engine up on the ground. It almost feel like it takes more effort to pull start when the engine gets warmer, but this could just be because I get tired. :cry:

I have now given up trying to start it on my back. Other than the problem with the starting, the engine runs smoothly and without any problems.

I'm in Wellington, New Zealand a 10 hour drive from the agent who sold it to me.

This is the first Bailey v5 in NZ.I hope Bailey can help me out to fix this problem.

cheers,

Jaco

Welcome :-)

I guess NZ makes you our furthest away member :-)

I love NZ and have flown my mates Paramotor over loads of the South island :-)

Lucky sod! Good luck with the motor....

SW :D

Hi

One thing you can try is...... IF you have mechanical knowledge understanding... Take of the rocker cover under here you will find the Cam Chain, Cam, tapit's,and valve springs,

On the oposite side to the cam chain on the end of the cam you will find the decompression valve/mechanism Make sure this is not stuck.

Regards

Mark

This sounds like an experience had by a chap who bought a V5 over a year ago. He thought it was just him not doing something right, turned out it was a decompresser fault. I dont know exactly what had happened but needless to say it was sorted and afterwards it was as easy to pull as all the vids etc suggest.

Nige

Hi

Had a bit of a rethink If it pulls over ok on the ground it can not be the decompresser.

Make sure the Pulleys are lined up correctly while your seated. You will have to get someone to check everything is ok and not binding.

Not sure what pulley Para jet have fitted but the Bailey one is a high Quality sailing brand (can't remember the Brand) could be Ronstan..

Make sure this is free and not binding while under tension.

If all fails give Para jet Or Bailey a call...

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark

It is very hard to pull on the ground as well, but impossible when on your back. I'll ask Bailey about the decompressor.

Hi Simon

thank you, Wellington is one of the windiest cities in the world, so not ideal for paramotors, but you can usually find a place to fly within a 100km radius from the city. There are only 1 other pilot here that I know about. Most pilots is up in Auckland and a few in Christcurch.

Jacoolw,

A bit off topic: I used to live in Auckland, and was thinking of moving back there but it's getting a bit too expensive to have a roof over yer head. Perhaps Wellington may be an option. Do you always have to drive 100km or so to get away from the wind? Are there any more local spots?

P.S. I don't have a Bailey, but it does sound like something may be a miss with your de-compressor...

The Bailey engine - was it designed by Bailey Aviation from scratch for paramotor use or is it one that`s been modified from existing model, if so what is it`s origin?

Jus` wondering:- it`d be quite an expensive project to design/build an engine from scratch, seems like a few of the two stroke engines used for PPG were sourced from other applications.

Hi Notch

Because of the wind, hills and international airport in the middle of Wellington it is probably the worst city for paramotors in NZ. There are no paragliding or paramotor schools or agents in Wellington. I think Tauranga or Nelson will be a great places to live and paramotor.

I have only been flying for 3 weeks, but have been able to fly every weekend by driving up the Kapiti coast, where the weather gets better the farther you drive.

Get more opinions on the NZ paramotor forum: http://www.paramotor.co.nz

Jaco

The only thing i can see with those Photos is that you will would have to pull it directly the way the PUL CORD is set up. This might cause binding while seated if your pulling it to the side slightly. This will only take a small angle and it could binde. I also find it hard to pull it directly forward. I find it much easier to pull to the side. You will be unable to do this with that set up!!! :roll:

Simon dont mock the dyslexic.. :wink: