Polini flash starter - how does that work then?

stuartasutherland

I have one and it is impressive although could probably do with the rope being shorter (or the engine starting starting faster). I find it is fine when in the back but starting on the ground and holding the frame, it needs a fast pull instead of a long slow one.

So what is the tech behind it? Can't find anything on tinternet about how it works.

Ta

Stuart

With a conventional pull start you just spin the engine. With this arrangement you spin the engine for the full pull.

With the flash starter you pull the cord which winds up a spring. At the end of the pull the spring energy is released which spins the engine quickly for a short period, allowing it to start. If you wanted a shorter pull you would have to sacrifice the easy pull for a stiffer pull as you have to put the same amount of energy in over a shorted pull.

Not sure if the above is correct, but its my best guess, makes sense, and is how I would do it!

I hope to get my Zenith Polini Thor 200 soon so I can try thte flash starter for my self. They seem to be having engine delivery issues though.

I've been waiting 7 weeks now. :cry:

While you are waiting for yours - you can have a look at mine :D

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]
With a conventional pull start you just spin the engine. With this arrangement you spin the engine for the full pull.

With the flash starter you pull the cord which winds up a spring. At the end of the pull the spring energy is released which spins the engine quickly for a short period, allowing it to start. If you wanted a shorter pull you would have to sacrifice the easy pull for a stiffer pull as you have to put the same amount of energy in over a shorted pull.

Not sure if the above is correct, but its my best guess, makes sense, and is how I would do it!

I hope to get my Zenith Polini Thor 200 soon so I can try thte flash starter for my self. They seem to be having engine delivery issues though.

I've been waiting 7 weeks now. :cry:

Some moist fields there Stu!! :lol:

Yup, it's been a shocking year for weather. I work with farmers and they are really struggling this year. I tried a few of my usual fields, 2 were flooded and 1 was up a steep hill with was iced up. So I had to try the stubble field. It was dry and the stubble didn't affect me - good old powered launch!

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Yes it's a double spring. When the engine is new the flash starter needs a long pull. After its run in nicely the pull gets shorter and easier.

Like wise the standard starter would get hydro compression locked and rip the handle out your hands. But once run in you could start it with short sharp jabs.

In flight with the flash starter, I have pulled the cord out with my right hand using the handle and with my left hand tweaked the last bit of starter cord to release spring and vroom. I prefer the flash starter for it does start the engine better as the spring rotates the engine faster than you can by pulling the cord.

I got the motor inthe video Vince posted above, I have fitted a peice of rubber pipe on to starter cord to extend it out, making it very easy to reach when the motor in on my back, I reach up and take hold of the handle with my right hand and just extend my arm, starts straight up, I dont find I have to pull the starter fast at all.

028.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Happened to me too, the pull cord didn't get pulled back in. But since the engine was running I took my knife and simply cut the cord off to avoid it being pulled into the propeller. And after an hours flight I returned home and performed an autopsy.

The outer end of the cord rewind spring had pulled straight. The end of that spring had been annealed too soft by the manufacturer originally, that part was very easy to bend by fingers alone. So, I snapped that part off and bent in a new hook, the spring steel appeared to be very soft and could easily take a bending without breaking.

Removing the starter is easy, just remove four bolts, and off it comes. Then to remove the pull start wheel, just remove the center bolt and carefully lift the cover off. The system only consists of few parts and it is easy to fix.

Happy Landings,

Tero

• 5 years later...