App question...

poz

Does anyone know of an iPhone app that can deliver something akin to the Garmin Etrex interface, with a customisable display so you can choose from a list of different fields to suit. ie alt, speed, vert speed, moving time. I'm not really interested in anything else like maps, airspace etc

The closest I can find is MotionX, which is great and will do the job, but the page I would be interested in has fixed parameters and 3 boxes just for different speeds (max, ave, current). It would be perfect if these were changable.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan, I am currently playing with the app's myself, so far the ones I have found are Therm Geek, Runway HD and Memory Map. They are all reviewed and discussed on here at one time or another, they all give Altitude, Speed, Time moving etc but I dont think any of them give you Vertical speed which I take it you need for climb rate or thermaling. Memory map lets you set upo the data screen any way you want to, ie changing track time for altitude or any number of things just not vertical speed. Runway HD looks very good for navigating and give terrain altitude in relation to your altitude and lets you see airspace side on as you approach it, but they are all part of a mapping system rather than just instruments. Right now I'm torn between Memory Map because its got evrything I want and allows me to use it inconjunction with a lap top, and Runway HD for similar reasons but seems more flight orintated rather than planning and navigation.

Ive little experience in this field so these are just my first opinions, but the search continues.

Cheers Lee.

Hi Lee,

The RunwayHD app is awesome for planning :-)

Spend a little more time playing with it. :-)

Press and hold on the map for a few seconds, when you let go you will be given the option to 'navigate to'

You can add waypoints by pressing and holding the track line and then drag them to avoid airspace.

You can adjust the height of each leg by pressing the little button in the bottom left of the screen.

Route plan from JOG to Dover took less than a day.

SW :D

I have the free version on an Iphone 4 and that has the markers and all but only the very basic vector maps, I was looking at buying the CAA maps but buggered it up and nearly had it costing £140, I think I had just got click happy though!

I do have one question on it, I was looking at the Manchester Low Level Corridor which allows flight through to about 1200ft however on Runway HD it only showed the class D surface to 3500 air space, does anyone know if this is because its not yet got the CAA maps or is it a glitch?

I'm not after venturing there but found the idea of a corridor through the restricted airspace really interesting!

Its likely to be more up to date than the CAA paper charts.

During the above planned trip, we were called by a couple of very experienced pilots to warn us of an airspace infringement they had a telling off for the day before. It was not on the current CAA charts.

When we checked our route, we could see instantly that the infringed airspace by the guys calling to help us the day before, had already been factored into the planning (3 weeks before) on the Runway HD system.

In a nutshell, we knew, they didn't.

The maps are £140 for the entire UK, I am fairly sure that MM charge £25 per map x 6 = £150 ;-)

Dont forget to use the PMC discount code PARA1 for a further 10% off

SW :D

I have the free version on an Iphone 4 and that has the markers and all but only the very basic vector maps, I was looking at buying the CAA maps but buggered it up and nearly had it costing £140, I think I had just got click happy though!

I do have one question on it, I was looking at the Manchester Low Level Corridor which allows flight through to about 1200ft however on Runway HD it only showed the class D surface to 3500 air space, does anyone know if this is because its not yet got the CAA maps or is it a glitch?

I'm not after venturing there but found the idea of a corridor through the restricted airspace really interesting!

Hi Lee

I used to fly down the low level corridor most weeks. I have to say I didn't enjoy it. It's narrow and all the traffic is forced below 1200ft. You really have to keep your wits about you. And that's flying GA. I wouldnt want to do it on a PPG :shock:....unless I was below 100ft :wink:

Dan

Theres no chance of me taking a trip through it, I was chatting to a micro light pilot who mentioned it and I wasnt aware that things like that existed, but I thought the idea of a corridor to allow passage through what is basically a great big chunk of restricted air space pretty crafty, and I had no idea that it was that organised up there. The more I mouch about an air map the more intresting they get!

I think I need to get out more!!!!

Cheers Lee.