Light and cheap?

Fly_mow

I'm after a light weight paramotor for my dad to use to get his confidence on. He finds my pap on the heavy side and wants something that's light and runs that isn't expensive to buy or repair?

Is there any such thing? Maybe an older model?

And has any one got a dusty old banger tucked in the back of the shed?

I want to stress it's not wanted as a seriouse flying machine. Just a training aid for a few hops up the field.

Thanks peeps.

Stu

I'm after a light weight paramotor for my dad to use to get his confidence on. He finds my pap on the heavy side and wants something that's light and runs that isn't expensive to buy or repair?

Is there any such thing? Maybe an older model?

And has any one got a dusty old banger tucked in the back of the shed?

I want to stress it's not wanted as a seriouse flying machine. Just a training aid for a few hops up the field.

Thanks peeps.

Stu

Only thing near that is a rad :shock:

Parajet Titanium Compact .

I ve had this machine for 4 yrs and its got 160 hrs on it .

Its been tucked away in a cupboard for 2 yrs since i broke my arm ...My fault , taking off in dodgy cross winds .

I ve recently repaired the cage and put a brand new piston / rings in . Fires up and runs lovely .

Took it for an hours flight , and having repaired the props , they could do with balancing . Apart from that , it flies fine .

You ve caught me on the hop here , as i had no intention of selling , so will take some pics tomorrow and put it on the Auction . Im asking £ 800 for it .

Some spares too...Exhaust and silencer .

Its a good machine for someone , and a shame to leave it in storage....

Thanks , Steve

Just realised...Sounds like an advert , but its not an advert ?...But it will be tomorrow ??

Parajet Titanium Compact .

I ve had this machine for 4 yrs and its got 160 hrs on it .

Its been tucked away in a cupboard for 2 yrs since i broke my arm ...My fault , taking off in dodgy cross winds .

I ve recently repaired the cage and put a brand new piston / rings in . Fires up and runs lovely .

Took it for an hours flight , and having repaired the props , they could do with balancing . Apart from that , it flies fine .

You ve caught me on the hop here , as i had no intention of selling , so will take some pics tomorrow and put it on the Auction . Im asking £ 800 for it .

Some spares too...Exhaust and silencer .

Its a good machine for someone , and a shame to leave it in storage....

Thanks , Steve

Just realised...Sounds like an advert , but its not an advert ?...But it will be tomorrow ??

that sounds bang on Stu, tough enough to take anymore knocks your old fella mite have.

Found the weight. 24kg? I'm thinking more under 20 and as close to 15 as poss. Might be that I'm dreaming but ya don't know till ya ask!!

Stu as with everything in aviation, theres a trade off, anything light will almost certainly not be strong enough to take the knocks and bangs of training, buying something very light may be a false economy, light motors like the miniplane are best suited to experienced pilots, where there is much less a chance of a fall or hard landing, also most of the light motors on the market cannot be power launched as the cage is too flexible.

Lightest unit I had on my back was the top 80 miniplane. 18 kgs with good thrust 130 cm prop. Have to land on yer feet

Second lightest I had on my back is my Moster Flat Top. 24.5 kgs. Forget that though. Too expensive !

Third lightest was the Walkerjet Spider with solo 210 engine. 25 kgs. Would withstand learner knocks really well without breaking props. £ 1200 if my mate still has it. Hardly flown 3 hours. Good for up to 14 stone but no more.

Thanks Dave. Didn't think about the launches. It's annoying coz with a ground harness on he can launch it ( forward and reverse) and control it. Run with it, it's just the weight of the motor slows it all down and hence the wing goes astray.

Worst case I can get him flying, in reality how much experience and skill is required to do tandem? I'm not thinking any time soon but it's a thought for the future. ( plus I've got three boys I'd love to take up)

Thanks Dave. Didn't think about the launches. It's annoying coz with a ground harness on he can launch it ( forward and reverse) and control it. Run with it, it's just the weight of the motor slows it all down and hence the wing goes astray.

Worst case I can get him flying, in reality how much experience and skill is required to do tandem? I'm not thinking any time soon but it's a thought for the future. ( plus I've got three boys I'd love to take up)

Personally I would say at least 100 hours.

I disagree with Outkast's comment about a Miniplane (+/-19Kg). I learnt to fly on a Miniplane and it was a fantastic machine to learn on, I would recommend it anybody. The great advantage of them is that because they are so light you are less likely to take a tumble. They are light enough to have on your back when ground handling. I have flown a PAP and by the time I was set up I was pretty much exhausted. They are not half as fragile as some people imagine.............I know from experience ;)

However, it would be worth getting some instruction from an instructor familiar with Miniplane. There are certain 'power launch' techniques that are not suitable with Miniplanes.

OK, like everybody else I like to think that my machines the best ;)

Good luck,

Christian