CANADIAN newbie!!!

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new fanatic. Winter is just starting to gear up here in Canada. I live in Canada's capital...Ottawa, Ontario. Not too much in the way for on line local info on this new sport I have fallen upon, so here I am. I'll be taking my course next april or may and am thinking of buying a low hours unit online.

How:

I have a motorcyle for sale and someone wanted to trade me a home built trike and chute...and after reading different websites and finding out it was 20 years behind in the times as far as the technology goes..I decided against it, BUT wow what a sport.

Hope to learn, learn, learn!!!

Patrick Morais

Hi Patrick and welcome to the Paramotor Club. :-)

I am sure you will find shed loads of information on here but if you do have any questions do ask away !!

Again, Welcome

SW :D

• 2 months later...

I bought the motor and wing late this fall. I probably will not actually fly until spring. I have been doing some ground kiting and all is going well. ( I can keep it solidly overhead ) What I have found out is to get a "new design" wing preferably new to get the best results. One place was trying to push a Edel power Atlas which I found out is 1997 design wing and it would have been a huge mistake to purchase.

Treetall100 where are takeing your lessons ? There is a guy right near to me that is certified with Transport Canada.. Sell Blackhawks... http://www.paratoys.ca

A buddy of mine is selling one of his kits. Low low hours and a complete kit if you want a quad and everything... You just have to be under the 160lbs mark. http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-other-Powered-Paraglider-Blackhawk-Quad-Package-W0QQAdIdZ437053931

unless you want to foot and then 180 mark..

You could always get a bigger wing if you are more then the 160

If you email him just tell him Terrie sent you

He bough a new one just to have more power and a faster wing once he learnt on the Blackhawk

terrie

Sorry I didn't see these responses till now. Actually I signed up with Andre Zeman out at:

http://www.poweredparaglidingontario.ca/

Did my research and he seems to be the one I am most in tune with. Talked on the phone a couple times and been through every inch of his website. I live in Ottawa (6.5 hrs away) so I signed up for the the complete 1 week course in May.

I bought myself a used Windtech Kinetik Plus wing a couple weeks ago. It has less than 15hrs on it and is super new and crispy! I am 225lbs (102 kg for you metric folk) before any gear so the 30 meter size should be just right.

I bought a mountain climbing harness and had some slings sewn onto them for the carabiners to attach to the risers of my wing. Works GREAT!

A few pics:

Harness

vision_ziplock_mens_harnesses_product_image_01_zps41458be7.jpg

My 1st day of kiting the wing! It was about -12 Celcius and the snow was about 12" deep (30 cm). Winds were out of the North West about 12-15km/hr. Was fun but soon found out that I am wayyyyy out of shape. And deep snow sucks for tracking the wing...better learn to control it so I don't have to track it. :D

img_3499_zps6f54c55d.jpg

img_3496_zpsaaa24074.jpg

img_3494_zps8e643a83.jpg

img_3493_zps11c19249.jpg

img_3492_zpsca80a893.jpg

img_3487_zps87a88b65.jpg

img_3485_zpsbe274939.jpg

img_3475_zpsb79e28b5.jpg

img_3473_zpsbcc5a735.jpg

Edited by Guest

Hi Patrick

I was wondering how much the week course is costing you that you are going on in May?

I have recently moved from the UK to Perth Ontario and was trained by Simon W in the UK. I am desperate to fly again but slightly despondent that all my training and subsequent flying counts for nothing here.

But the overriding issue at the moment is the cost to get certified here, hence my question

Regards

Andy

Hi Yogi-9,

I have good friends that have a cottage just outside of Perth (Adam's Lake) about an hour and a bit away from my place..beautifull small town it is! Did you bring your equipment here to Canada?

I am booked for the May 4th to the 9th. The cost is really dependant! If you kite really well then you save money on that. If you do your 30 take-offs and landings quickly (10-15 min flights) and show experience then it also saves you money. Basically $3000 to start and then as you go along it is deducted off. If you end up with unused monies...it is returned to you. Check site below:

http://www.poweredparaglidingontario.ca ... ourses.htm

Here is a break-down (taken from Andre's website):

Course cost structure

$ 300.00 CAD for preparatory ground school - includes study book and Student Pilot Permit - total of 6 hrs

$ 90.00 CAD per hour of paraglider ground training/handling - includes use of paraglider and training harness. Approximately 6 - 8 hours of training is required to be sufficiently prepared for solo foot launch flight.

$ 130.00 CAD per hour for take off run simulation excersises including use of paramotor and helmet with radios. Approximately 1/3 hour required.

$ 160.00 per hour of powered practice (power take offs, short flights, landings, cross country flight/s) This per hour fee includes: use of paraglider, helmet with radios, backpack style paramotor. Approximately 10 hours required as 5 hours of flight time in your log book is required to apply for license. This estimate is based on thirty short 10 - 15 min flights.

Prices above are per hour per person.

You will be responsible to pay for any damages to school equipment. You will be required to sign $ 1000 blank VISA or MC sales slip. Those without VISA or MC will have to provide $ 1000 in cash or $ 1000 certified cheque or money order. Blank credit card slip, $ 1000 cash or cheque or money order will be returned at the end of the course or upon request.

Hi Guy's

Does the BHPA (uk Rating) count in Canada??

My other half is from Newmarket Ontario and wants to return to canada one day (if this carp weather keeps up may be sooner than later!!!!

Would i have to go thought the system or would i have to just show a few landings and do an air Law exam? $3000 sounds a bit steep to show someone you can fly... As i have 2-300 hours on paramotors

My understanding is that is will not. ( may be wrong )

But your talking about a place that will send a jiffy bag (back) from Canada because the RETURN ADDRESS was in the wrong place LOL

Yogi,

You will blitz the course in no time I am sure.

Also found this... They are also an APPI school so may be worth talking to.

Cayooshexpeditions

Jim and Corinne ORAVA Box 1024 Mount Currie, BC, V0N 2K0 BC

Services : Courses - Tandem flights - Expeditions -

Manager : Jim Orava (10629)

paratoys.ca does lessons for 300 for ground and 1595 for the rest. Transport Canada certified.. old airforce pilot is what I have been told .

Morgy just come over and fly. There was a guy from the states that flew for 5 years with out even getting asked for anything... The he got busted for being stupid. ( took a cooler of beer up with him) My saying that I use for the guys that work for me is " there is no cure for stupid"

As long as you have your docemtion with you I can't see there really being a problem.

terrie

Yogi,

Cayooshexpeditions

Thanks Simon will have a look at it.

Andy

Yogi,

Cayooshexpeditions

Thanks Simon will have a look at it.

Andy

Jim is a top bloke, When I was there on holiday last year he was more than helpful and arranged transport to the top of the mountain for me.

If he can help he will.