Apco or Revo wing?

Michaelt

Evening everyone,

Looking at purchasing a wing and harness in the next few weeks to train ground handling, while i save another thousand for training etc. I was looking at the various different wings such as the Revo 2 and the Apco lift or force which are both designed for beginners. I think my ideal wing would be speed and stability as this will be my first wing. Anyone got any suggestions and reviews on these wings, and any advice? Also im not asking to buy one yet as im yet to get a little more money, but does anyone have any of these in there shed and a harness that they are thinking of selling over the next few weeks for a reasonable price?

Thanks

Mike

:wingover:

I guess that is'nt a bad option, although i can't see the point spending £100 on a wing and harness, which i will then bin as it will be worthless, when that £100 could get me a headset, or go towards a proper flying harness? Unless anyone has a GH and harness lieing around that they don't want and would except maybe £50 for? :L

Thanks

Mike

OK spend £1500 on a second hand wing get it covered in mud then it will be worth £100 when you sell it to upgrade 6-12 months later :wink:

New pilots always want second hand shitty GH wings if you get one for £100 you will sell it for £100 6 months later. even if you spend £300 you will nearly always get your money back...

£49 for a gh harness from ebay is a good option... you can never get enough G handling as a new pilot. even when you have your wings and gone solo you will still need to keep up the G handling practise to keep your eye in.

I have seen many rusty new pilots who have not flown for a month or two and have not practised there handling and have trashed prop's £££££££££

I guess what you've said makes sense if you put it that way :)

I have the £100 already, but what would you suggest me doing? I have watched the ground handling video that Dave sent me, and it said that i should always seek training before attempting to buy even a ground wing and fly it? Is it worth waiting a few weeks, and going to a airfield, or would i be fine if a bought some clips and bungee and " tied " myself down and tryed it out at my local village field? Its a huge field so no worry's of trees, or fences. What do you suggest??

Thanks alot

Mike

Or use school wings and get them muddy :-)

I am sure you can also find some local friendly pilots who will let you have a go at ground handling when you are closer to go mode. DO NOT CLIP YOURSELF INTO A WING AND A HARNESS UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN SHOWN HOW TO STAY SAFE.

I agree that £100 is not to be scoffed at when on a budget. It's a flight suit, or a pair of gloves and a helmet.

SW :D

Just realised!!!

For a start, you became a paid member during October!!! I sent out an offer e-mail on the first of the month...

You have a free taster day in the bag! :-) Which means if you can get yourself to Membury on a decent day you have a days training waiting :-)

I should be able to organise somewhere closer for you to do the same if preferred.

I will have a look for some local schools. The only guy within reasonable driving distance is Boston, but they seem to all be flying at Shipdham on the weekends which is almost 2 hours from my location. Also i plan to stay safe all the way through this, so getting training is my priority at the moment!

Thanks

Just realised!!!

For a start, you became a paid member during October!!! I sent out an offer e-mail on the first of the month...

You have a free taster day in the bag! :-) Which means if you can get yourself to Membury on a decent day you have a days training waiting :-)

I should be able to organise somewhere closer for you to do the same if preferred.

Wow, didn't realise that! thats great :D! just trying to think if i'll ever get anywhere near Membury. Im heading towards Aberystwyth next week, but thats still miles away, if you could let me know what locations you could possibly do it at, that would be great :) Can't wait :D!

Thanks

I bought a cheap old Edel Atlas and a `contractors` safety harness for ground handling only and to get a `feel` for this Paramotoring malarkey before i commit to training probably in the new year.

After the battering that a wing gets from a novice i sure wouldn`t want to fly it afterwards!

I hope that a more modern wing is a little bit more friendly than this Edel, because it can be a right recalcitrant bugger at times - or maybe it`s just me, but when it does go right it`s a really good feeling to just give it a gentle tug and it swings up easily and cleanly above your head, but there never seems to be just the right amount of breeze!;

img_0685.jpg

Anyone ever had an Atlas?

I`m probably developing some bad habits early on which i`ll have to correct later, but i`m learning all the time, for instance when pulling on the A`s the wing tips seemed to rise first, so what i do now is separate the two innermost lines on the A riser and give them a little more of a tug which makes it come up in the middle first in a much more controlled manner - i suppose this is the reason for `split A`s` on the modern designs?

All good fun though, ain`t it?

BTW, what do you guys feel about having your new, expensive wings being used in stubble fields and the like - thats not a good environment for them surely?

Thanks for that write up :) So did you simply go out and buy a wing and harness and attempted with any help, or did you do it with other people around you? And great picture!! :)

Take the advise from the experts on this forum, not from a maverick like me.......

Oh and BTW, i wasn`t alone, the wife was with me - she took the pic (and the p**s)!

Will do :) gunna go this weekend to see people flying hopefully at Boston, if they go there and the weather holds out that is. Then maybe make a purchase of a GH wing and harness next week, but im going to try and find out as much as possible from tonight to next week.

Thanks

£49 for a gh harness from ebay is a good option... you can never get enough G handling as a new pilot. even when you have your wings and gone solo you will still need to keep up the G handling practise to keep your eye in.

Do you by any chance have a link to that harness?

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
Just realised!!!

Wow, didn't realise that! thats great :D! just trying to think if i'll ever get anywhere near Membury. Im heading towards Aberystwyth next week, but thats still miles away, if you could let me know what locations you could possibly do it at, that would be great :) Can't wait :D!

Thanks

Hi michaelt

I've got a farm just south of Aberystwyth and if u've got a wing would b more than happy to give u some ground training. I'm in Cardiff with work till 25th but if ur around after that left me know and we can sort something out

Cheers

Henry