Pick ups --BASE

skymad69

Ok, I have the new Zenith Polini 200 on order 9 weeks to go

A friend and I are going to do a few pick up jumps, both of us are 80kg each and flying a ITV 24 Lapoon. I know the Zenith 200 will have the power.

Any thoughts on using a 24m wing for a pick up to 1000f??

Cheers! :acro:

In true Dell style i am pretty sure this is illegal in the USA. Having glanced at CAP660 it seems to be competely illegal in the UK on every conceivable level!

yes it is, only fine sand and water can be dropped from an aircraft, however if you have a word with the local freefall club they should be able to tell you how to go about gaining permission to have someone eject themselves from your aircraft! on a less serous note seen as the body is 70% water they can only prosecute for 30% of the max fine :mrgreen:

Anyway getting back to the original question...

24m Lapoon big enough to lift, as a one way Tandem??

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers!

yes if you have enough power and can run fast enough to get the wing up to flying speed to get enough lift to take off :launchdance::tripup:

Cool!!

Thats ok, i'll already be in the air..

I'll some footage of the success later

8 weeks to go!

Dont forget the person you are picking up will have to run at a fair old pace as well mind. I would try some practise runs first. And most of all BE CAREFUL.

If he holds the rope/ trapeze and does not run fast enough/falls over and does not let go you will find that the wing will over take you and you will swoop in to the ground.

Please forgive a slightly po-faced query from a complete newcomer to the sport of paramotoring, but .........

If most members of this forum are, rightly, so swift to condemn anyone flying illegally, dangerously, or generally in a way which is likely to bring the sport into disrepute then why is this query about BASE jumping being treated in such a sympathetic and helpful way? Unless I have completely misunderstood, it is highly dangerous, illegal in so many ways, and probably fattening too.

Incidentally, I see that a BASE jumper in the US died as recently as May doing exactly this.

So, should the forum discourage this activity, or am I just being a miserable, boring old fart?

Please forgive a slightly po-faced query from a complete newcomer to the sport of paramotoring, but .........

If most members of this forum are, rightly, so swift to condemn anyone flying illegally, dangerously, or generally in a way which is likely to bring the sport into disrepute then why is this query about BASE jumping being treated in such a sympathetic and helpful way? Unless I have completely misunderstood, it is highly dangerous, illegal in so many ways, and probably fattening too.

Incidentally, I see that a BASE jumper in the US died as recently as May doing exactly this.

So, should the forum discourage this activity, or am I just being a miserable, boring old fart?

He has been told about the dangers and that it is illegal in this country and the states we think,

There is nothing to stop him going abroad to do this if he so wishes, but if he does it in this country then let the wrath begin :shock::D

I've been reading this, and this seems great fun and something i would want to try.... saying that, and like everyone else has said, you've got to take into account the incredibly dangerous things that could go wrong, the fact that you could not only kill the base jumper, but yourself... and possibly spectators and the fact that you could put yourself behind bars, with a very big fine, and even make them reconsider what Paramotor pilots are allowed to do, ruining it for everyone else!

Please be safe... and yes... we would like some evidence, cause to me this is so cool and I want to try it.. but label it as you did it abroad with years of experience ;) and remember everyone.... YOLO!

Good luck and stay safe!!

Mike

I seriously don't get the preaching attitude.

There have always been people out there who are willing to take a risk, legally or not. To be honest I for one am extremely grateful to people like this, for if it wasn't for this daring personality trait, we wouldn't be flying, driving cars/motorbikes, rock climbing etc.

The other thing about these types, is that they rarely listen to the less-brave preaching on at them about how they are breaking the law (usually made by the less brave) about how they shouldn't be doing what they are doing, and that they are in fact breaking the law.

It depresses me when I read posts by these preachers, who will no doubt respond by stating an argument about the dangers etc.

As a result, many safety lessons that we can learn from the mistakes that brave are willing to make will never be learned because we vilify them into secrecy.

This post is a fair example of my point.

Dan