A Tribute to Brecon Beacons Farmers and Landowners.

Steve

Maybe I'm lucky but I've had nothing but co-operation and support from landowners and tenants for the past couple of years. I live and fly mostly in The Brecon Beacons and in the winter can fly from the common land in the centre of the national park north of Pen y Fan (once the forests of ferns have been cut back). When I first started flying solo I searched out several fields and was blown away by the fact that I was given permission to use all of them by each landowner. Sometimes a field would be rented (which is quite common) and farmers even went to the trouble of contacting owners to confirm it was alright and then got back to me. Never a hint of them being put to any trouble.

The Beacons is a big area and I wanted more variety in where I fly from so last spring I started searching further afield and again there was nothing but help and support. For example I knocked on a door to ask whether they owned a nearby field only to be told that it wasn't theirs but they found and put me in touch with the owner. I visited him and he then offered me a choice of about twenty fields, many of which were superb for flying and I'd had my eye on for a while but couldn't work out who owned them (one even had a Spitfire make an emergency landing in it during WWII).

All the landowners who helped me out were farmers, no trouble, no conditions (except for not flying when cows are in a field) and all friendly. It was a pleasure to take them bottles of Scotch as a thank you, which was a bargain.

All of the farmers I've had contact with in The Brecon Beacons have no problems with paramotors and are brilliant. I've never flown from a field without permission because there was absolutely no need to do so.

Funny you should mention that...

Paramotoring round here died a death couple years ago after complaints from RC flyers.

However, with me starting up this sport and the natural passion I have and Malin Lobb's expertise we are starting to open up our area. From no take off sites to 4 just now and more to come.

Today I completed a job for free for a farmer I know (I fixed his merc bodywork). He has already given me a peach field to launch from and has now given me 5 other farmer contacts and said they'll be fine (just mention his name, he's very well known in the area).

Thing is here's the tip: apparently farmers are very keen to get photos of their fields from on high - they can spot things they need to know - not sure what...how the crop is growing, field texture...whatever, its something i will offer to all the farmers and will only be too happy to fly over any field they want and take pics!! :mrgreen:

BTW Stevie - I come up to brecon quite regularly to speedfly - would love to join you PPG one day... :D

looks like we'll all be flying with you over the winter and next year.. hopefully when i visit tywyn later this year.. might get a flight in.

:0)

If you're heading this way drop me a line and I'll give you some site grid ref options (depending on wind direction) if I'm not around on that day.
Nice - looks like the next Fly-in then.... :)
Had actually crossed my mind but I'm pathetically unreliable for long-term dates which is a pain. :?
Funny you should mention that...

However, with me starting up this sport and the natural passion I have and Malin Lobb's expertise we are starting to open up our area. From no take off sites to 4 just now and more to come.

Nice work. :D
BTW Stevie - I come up to brecon quite regularly to speedfly - would love to join you PPG one day... :D
Did I see you a few weeks ago around Cefn Crew and Beacons Reservoir? I nearly crashed into the car in front whilst trying to watch. Never seen another paramotor up here though, the nearest has been around Gelli Gaer way. i thought a couple of friends who used to be in the parachute regiment could be convinced to take it up but no chance, I've had no luck getting another resident paramotor in the air up here.

yes beacons reservoir we call 'The face' is a favourite, perfect pitch.

There are at least 3 or 4 ppgers around the area. You should go on facebook group - scumdog paramotor group - youll find them there and a couple are members of SWWSC (South West Wales Soaring Club) which I happen to be a member of (Im from South Devon) cos they run one of the best soaring sites in Europe - Rhossili :D .

yes beacons reservoir we call 'The face' is a favourite, perfect pitch.

There are at least 3 or 4 ppgers around the area. You should go on facebook group - scumdog paramotor group - youll find them there and a couple are members of SWWSC (South West Wales Soaring Club) which I happen to be a member of (Im from South Devon) cos they run one of the best soaring sites in Europe - Rhossili :D .

Good spot for it (bit of a carry up from Storey Arms?).

If there are 3 or 4 paramotor pilots round here then they have been hiding. It's a small world up here, anyone is only two gossips away from anyone else - where are they?