Hi Please help

Hi everyone, I really need some advice about gear. I have wanted to start paramotoring since 1998 and have never got around to it due to cost and not really understanding what i need. I work at an airfield in suffolk which is very much open to all forms of aviation, so now have a good site to fly from. I have been advised by a friend who flys paramotors I should get a cheap wing thats over 10 years old to practice ground handling with, and he would show me the ropes (excuse the pun) he has advised me to then go and have some lessons with a pro instructor which makes perfect sense. the problem is i have looked on ebay and there are lots of different types and ratings and some are only just over 10 years old, so im wondering is it possible to have a wing tested, and how much this would cost as I dont have much money but so want to start this sport. I weigh 85 Kg. What weight lifting should I should go for? as I dont know what weight a motor would be. I have seen a FB matrix paraglider wing advertised with no bag or harness suitable for ground handling for £150 is this a good price? Please someone help.........

Thanks in advance

Rob :fail:

Edited by Guest

Hi everyone, I really need some advice about gear. I have wanted to start paramotoring since 1998 and have never got around to it due to cost and not really understanding what i need. I work at an airfield in suffolk which is very much open to all forms of aviation, so now have a good site to fly from. I have been advised by a friend who flys paramotors I should get a cheap wing thats over 10 years old to practice ground handling with, and he would show me the ropes (excuse the pun) he has advised me to then go and have some lessons with a pro instructor which makes perfect sense. the problem is i have looked on ebay and there are lots of different types and ratings and some are only just over 10 years old, so im wondering is it possible to have a wing tested, and how much this would cost as I dont have much money but so want to start this sport. I weigh 92 Kg. What weight lifting should I should go for? as I dont know what weight a motor would be. I have seen a FB matrix paraglider wing advertised with no bag or harness suitable for ground handling for £150 is this a good price? Please someone help.........

Thanks in advance

Rob :coptor:

Hi Rob, if money is tight I would probably spend it on training (although you won't get that for £150). That is a cheap price for an old wing, you wouldn't need to get it tested as it will never fly. I couldn't justify the £150 for a ground handling harness. I just used an old climbing harness (about £30) and some climbing straps and old carabiners. Job done! You'll need a helmet for ground handling too. Easy to get dragged if too windy.

For ground handling only, the weight range of the wing doesn't matter as you won't be flying. Smaller ones will probably fly better is lighter winds.

A motor usually weighs between 25 and 35kg.

Speak to an instructor before buying anything - the single most important piece of advice usually given to new pilots.

Have fun,

Stu

The main problem with learning with an old wing is that they are completely different now.

Its a false economy, even the £150 towards training will be far more valuable than a win which is nothing like the wings of today, and that you cant even use to fly??

Welcome to the Paramotor Club

SW :D

Thanks guys for your help. Thanks also for the welcome and a great forum this is. I have heard there is an instructor in Norfolk about 45 miles from where I live so not too bad but I think after looking at the cost of a new setup, I might need to wait and keep saving but I am keen to get there one day. I see your point about an older wing, even for learning/practicing the ground handling with. I thought about learning the ground handling between now and next summer on the good days while I use that time to save for some gear (sell loads of stuff) and have a bit of fun with the wing but as you say no point if everything handles completely differently now. I guess I'm best to just wait till I can afford to buy new gear.

Thanks once again for your help guys.

Is it considered bad form to use a wing (modern) for ground handling/practise that you`re intending to fly with later on?

Just how much damage is it likely to do?

No more than using it for regualr flying over a period of time, surely?

Is it considered bad form.... NO.

How much damage is NON assuming you dont put it into a fence or something on a non suitable field.

SW :D

lol im not so worried about if the wing hit a fence more if certain parts of me get caught on one. I'm quite lucky at work as it has a parachute drop zone which is very well looked after. What I really wondered is if I buy a wing off say eBay or afors at a price I could afford. if I could have that wing tested and use it to fly with later on when I go for instruction. If that is an option is there any suggestion on what to look for and what should be avoided.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the great advise guys. This forum is brilliant!! I have managed to learn lots just by reading lots of posts throughout it. I'm hoping once I get setup to see if others would like to share the site with me. Fly in BBQ must be on the cards next summer! Only problem I can see so far is the Hangars to the south can cause a bit of rotor with a southerly breeze. Not sure about a ground handling king lol, but it looks great fun watching my friend Dave do it. That's the great thing about this, even the learning looks as much fun as the flying. I'm so looking forward to it.

Hi rob1980, welcome to the forum, it is a great place to pick up tips & advice from some very friendly & passionate pilots. I'm a newbie, in a similiar position to you & have gained some good advice from these people.

To throw a curve ball into what previous posters have said on this subject & I want to stress in very strong terms that I AM NO EXPERT but I went to the fly in at Sheffield a couple of weekends ago & spoke face to face to some pilots. Some were self taught but had the benefit of having friends who are pilots to lead them on their way.

They too bought a ground handling wing & just trained with that until they were 100% with how it worked, the adding of power later was an automatic progression.

I'm in a similiar position Rob - I need to do this as cheaply as possible (my Mrs is already being very understanding about my new found passion) but in no way do I want to compromise my safety. Therefore my plan to get in the air next year is this;

Have bought & am currently studying the Powered Paragliding Bible by Jef Goin. This books tells you everything you need to know from the thread to the needle - a very useful training guide for something in the region of £25.

Buy a ground handling wing & train with that over the winter (2 x reasons for this - 1. just can't wait to get started & 2. I want to be in a position, when I go for tuition that I understand how the wing functions.)

Endownment matures March 2013 - not a massive amount of money but should be enough to buy me reasonable second hand equipment with some left over for a family holiday (we not been abroad since we moved into big mouthed old house 4 years ago).

Go for training - Not decided yet whether BHPA or independent is the way to go but hopefully my knowledge of ground handling will help me to get through things quicker.

Hope to be trained & up in the air for back end of summer 2013!!!! :coptor:

This is just my view on how I can make this work for me. There's a number of differrent ways to go but one piece of advice that I have picked up from everyone of the pilots that I have communicated with is to have the upmost respect for the sport, it's freedom & indeed it's dangers.

Good luck................... :D

Hi Rob, you've already taken the first major step: finding this forum! What the guys on here don't know ain't worth knowing - sure, you'll occasionally find contrasting opinions, but they're all worthy and will all help you learn. Sometimes there ain't just one simple answer... :wink:

I too live in Suffolk, started my training at SaberAce near Braintree this year and cannot emphasise enough the value of good training! See my training Blog "Bob Bites The Bullet" for details. (Also, read "Pete's Progress" - motivational stuff!)

I decided to buy a £100 ground-handling wing from eBay, and for me it was the right decision as it allowed me to practice what I learnt in my lessons. I agree it doesn't handle the same as a new wing, but the basic mechanism is the same, and the flight principles are the same. In my very limited experience I find ground-handling a modern wing instinctive having first cut my teeth on my tired old one.

There's no short-cut to good ground-handling; it's practice practice practice, and if you can do that in your own time you'll soon progress through your formal training. Just playing with a wing won't teach you anything though, unless it's backed up with training; learn on the training field, then go and put what you've been taught into practice on your own.

Personally I was much happier dragging my old ground-handling wing around the ground than a new one. A new one probably wouldn't have come to any harm, but I sure treat a wing gentler now than when I was first learning! Also, you won't necessarily know what is the right wing for you to fly yet; I now know that some of the wings I was first tempted by would've been wholly unsuitable, even dangerous. My instructor advised me to leave this decision as long as possible before committing, and he was right.

Also, I completely agree with craigs, and would heartily recommend The Paramotor Bible - I believe Edition 3 has just been released. £30 for "just a book" is quite an investment, but it'll help you learn what's what, and you'll refer back to it again and again; I know I do.

Please contact me if you want to chat or meet up. Good luck with these first steps into a hobby that will shortly dominate your every waking and sleeping moment!

Bob

• 1 month later...

Thanks again. I have borrowed a wing and harness and now just waiting for the weather to get better so my mate can give me some advise on handling. The couple of times I have had the wing out I have totally loved it. now just a waiting game but at least I have made a start phew. Thanks so much for your advise guys.

• 1 year later...

Hi again everyone,

I still haven't given up..! I took your advise and joind the Ufly4fun group over at Shipdham Airfield for some lessons. I am totally impressed with Chillys attitude and comittmant to his students and the sport.

I purchased a broken Fresh Breeze Airboss 122 with a solo 210 engine around Nov 12 from a friend, which had some crash damage but all I could afford at the time (prop,tank,cage,string in cage,exhaust) a bit of a mess but I like fixing things and making them good. The total cost of the repairs came to around £250 including the Prop from DT propellers. I had lots of help both at work and friends, some of which I made because of the project and to whom I am extremely thankful.

A couple of weeks ago we gave it the first run after restoring it all. It ran totally sweet and started on the very first pull with the plug cap on. We flooded the engine first to make sure oil had worked itself around the crank pin and then allowed it to evaporate to just leave an oiled film to help protect the bearing shells!

I also bought a New Dudek Synthesis 31 LT, which also arrived a couple of weeks ago. I figured if the motor stops im a glider, but if the wing stops working, I'm a Brick.! :explode:

I had an operation last year which has stopped me having any more lessons, but has allowed me the time I needed to work on the motor and save for the wing. It has taken me such a long time but I am committed to get there.

I did buy an old Action 29 for ground handling from one of the group members and have been out in the field every day I have been able to ground handle since Dec 12. That may sound a little sad to some, but being able to ground handle has kept me focused on saving and not just giving up, plus I really enjoy it.

I hope in the next few weeks to be back at Shipdham and hopefully flying.. Wow.. now just need to buy a helmet with a mic and I'm all good I hope. Fingers crossed :D

Oh and Paul and Bob it would be great to get in touch, my email had stopped working. I am now trying to get it updated to my new one so if you are still active on here please send me an IM and I'll try and get back o you both.