Polini V Bailey

rob999

This is a sort of cross post with my 'Polini Engine, But Whch Frame' post, but its a sort of logical step onwards...

So, same sort of question really, probably answered elsewhere, but there may be new feedback now...

Polini (Parajet Polini Thor 100) or Bailey ????

What floats your boat and why ???

:dive:

I have and sell Bailey V5's so you can take my opinion with a pinch of salt...

The power is smooth but some say not enough but we have a 110kg pilot who fly's one fine.... I have never thought i needed more power in my day to day flying.. The XC potential is amazing with a V5. If your going for the polini 200 there is a massive weight saving by having the V5 but a trade off with less power.

The new carb makes the easy start even easier On most days one pull on very cold mornings a couple.

You need to sit down and ask your self the type of flying you want to do really. The Bailey for me is an all round machine, great XC machine and also smooth and reliable power when doing low level flying beach/foot dragging. The V5 is also great if you like to ridge soar you can have the engine on tick over for ages with out it bogging down like a two stroke would.

When others say they like a clutched motor i can see there point when your standing there waiting to take of you have no risk of catching a line. But if you lay your lines out correctly you will never catch a line anyway and if you fail a launch just as your powering up your prob will keep spinning longer if you have a clutch and are at a higher rick of the a line falling into your prop. A non clutched motor will have slowed down to almost a stop by the time the wing is falling on your head.

The only way to really find out what motor suits your flying is to have a test fly.

If you want a no hassle flight give me a call on 07867317307

Regards

mark

When others say they like a clutched motor i can see there point when your standing there waiting to take of you have no risk of catching a line. But if you lay your lines out correctly you will never catch a line anyway and if you fail a launch just as your powering up your prob will keep spinning longer if you have a clutch and are at a higher rick of the a line falling into your prop. A non clutched motor will have slowed down to almost a stop by the time the wing is falling on your head.

For me it's more about ground safety when others are around, I was always uncomfortably aware of the prop spinning at all times on my previous motor but feel much more comfortable with my current one which is clutched (although being aware of the throttle at all times of course remains paramount).

Thanks for the comments so far..

Morgy, thanks for your offer of a test flight, only one problem, I can't fly yet.... I'm under the wing (excuse the pun) of Deano Eldridge and when he gets back from Europe at the end of the month I'm hoping to get airborne in a day or so.

This is the problem I have..... What to buy without being able to test anything. You are forced to take the advice of others.

Deano has suggested a Parajet Polini Thor 100, but its always nice to get the opinions of others, and I do value everyones input...

Thanks...

Yes good point but if your make sure everyone is clear and well away from you and shout Prop or clear prop everything should be ok. If your worried about people being to close while its ticking over there going to be to close when your taking off and starting to spin up to full RPM...

Yes good point but if your make sure everyone is clear and well away from you and shout Prop or clear prop everything should be ok. If your worried about people being to close while its ticking over there going to be to close when your taking off and starting to spin up to full RPM...

In an ideal world, but last week I was in a field on my own, no roads to it, the access is through another field, helmet and headset on, engine running and clipping in to the risers when a farmer and his young son arrived beside me asking if they can watch. I nearly jumped a mile, they appeared out of nowhere.

In an ideal world, but last week I was in a field on my own, no roads to it, the access is through another field, helmet and headset on, engine running and clipping in to the risers when a farmer and his young son arrived beside me asking if they can watch. I nearly jumped a mile, they appeared out of nowhere.

Dude, you should report that!!! Being able to pop up out of nowhere would be a very valuable thing in the military! You may even want to remove your post before the men in white coats come and take them for testing!! :shock::shock::lol:

SW :D

But why have the engine running when clipping in?

Why not get ready to launch, check you are clear then start the engine and go, that is what I do, with a pull start over the shoulder and no clutch.

But why have the engine running when clipping in?

Why not get ready to launch, check you are clear then start the engine and go, that is what I do, with a pull start over the shoulder and no clutch.

If you prefer, but I like to run it for a couple of minutes so it's at running temp. when I launch.

Dude, you should report that!!! Being able to pop up out of nowhere would be a very valuable thing in the military! You may even want to remove your post before the men in white coats come and take them for testing!! :shock::shock::lol:

SW :D

Okay, truth is they came through a sheep gate in the hedge. :D

Well you cant go wrong with Deano as your instructor...

When learning and not able to get demo's it is very difficult. you need to work out what YOU want out of the Machine. Your doing the best thing by asking around.

Morgy, all I want from the sport is to get airborne as cheaply but safely as possible. My ideal may sound very boring, but I want to do cross country, maybe land, have a flask of tea and fly home. I live in Dorset and there are spectacular sights to be seen from the air in this County and some stunning coastline I want to see from a thousand feet high ...

I'm 52yrs of age, so leave the parabatix to Deano and the like, they are awesome at what they do, but I don't want to go there...

Deano makes a brilliant teacher and i'm sure he is as impartial as he can be, but he does fly for Parajet, hence my enquiries elsewhere...

Well both machines will do XC... :wink: the other considerations will be weight and duration of the XC. How far will you be able and want to fly? If you want to only fly for an hour there and an hour back then a 2 stroke will be fine this will give you a little in reserve for a change in wether conditions. But if you think you will want to fly further afield then a 4 stroke will be better for you and IMO a much nicer deeper tone to the engine.

Have a look on google earth work out an average ground speed for your wing say 50-55kph and see where this will take you.

If you can not fly the machines its always good to look at them up close. Put them on your back get a feel have a hang and sit in it for 10 15mins this is the next best thing to flying it. If the harness feels uncomfortable on the ground or on the hang rig chances are it's not going to feel good in the air. Walk around with it on your back for a while do everything you would do while getting ready to take off.

Bailey - One man band with a four stroke crusade out of Cambridge

Polini - International motor manufacturer selling thousands of units worldwide with international dealer network (even my scooter shop down the road can get me Polini bits if needed)

Bailey - Limited choice of frames and hang points

Polini - 2011 figures showing 20 out of 60 independant manufacturers using Polini 110 (this is before the 200 was released) Source : Directory of free flight 2011

Bailey - 5600 pounds and up

Polini - 3500 pounds and up depending on frame choice and manufacturer

Bailey - 20.5 horses

Polini - 110 version 20.5 horses

Bailey - Crankshaft mod, carb mod, fuel tank mod, moving to fuel injection

Polini - Exhaust manifold mod, Use extra locktight on screws

Bailey - 15.8kg

Polini - 110 weight 13.8kg (2x litres extra fuel for same all up weight)

Bailey - Belt driven

Polini - Helical geared reduction box with centrifugal clutch

Bailey - Throttle from a modified bmx brake lever and lots of high quality heat shrink

Polini - Bespoke lightweight injection moulded unit with optional CHT/Revs and hr meter

HTH!

:dive: