Flying near caister

Fly_mow

• 2 weeks later...

Your more than welcome to fly from my place at Thurne just north west of Caister, its actually my back garden but its big enough approx 1acre, and ok with a little positive wind, plenty of of other alternatives nearby if the wind isn't quiet right as the local farmers all know me and are good eggs. Tend to get an audience from the boats moored up next to the field when you take off and land, so its a bit like flying at the nats but theres nothing like a round of applause when you land back to complete your flight. If you google earth Thurne, my field is the triangular one 300m due east of the windmill at the end of the dyke. Some great beach flying from Winterton up to Happisburgh and over the Broads themselves the Lat&Long is 52°41'15.54"N 1°33'9.93"E, call or text on 07775 717231 if the weathers good I'll join you, same applies to anyone else venturing into Norfolk for a break.

Edited by Guest

Your more than welcome to fly from my place at Thurne just north west of Caister, its actually my back garden but its big enough approx 1acre, and ok with a little positive wind, plenty of of other alternatives nearby if the wind isn't quiet right as the local farmers all know me and are good eggs. Tend to get an audience from the boats moored up next to the field when you take off and land, so its a bit like flying at the nats but theres nothing like a round of applause when you land back to complete your flight. If you google earth Thurne, my field is the triangular one 300m due east of the windmill at the end of the dyke. Some great beach flying from Winterton up to Happisburgh and over the Broads themselves the Lat&Long is 52°41'15.54"N 1°33'9.93"E, call or text on 07775 717231 if the weathers good I'll join you, same applies to anyone else venturing into Norfolk for a break.

Hello, I will be up in that neck of the woods in november, would it be possible to fly from your place at some point?

I will be in hunstanton but venturing out along the coast towards weybourne.

Regards, Dave

Sounds like a plan!!! It's all depending on space when we come. Worst case scenario I'll have to leave one of the kids at home. I'll make a note of your number and ill be in contact. What's your name?

Thanks again mate.

Stu

Stu take a look at an air chart before you fly, you are very close to coltashall airspace in that area.

Hi Stu

My names Simon.

Yes Dave, any time you want to land or take off from here your welcome, as is anyone. One word of caution though, the field suits an experienced flyer, your take offs and landings need to be accurate or you could find yourself the source of amusement to several boaters. I always do a dummy approach to check the glide descent rate and check no yacht masts have suddenly appeared since I took off. If your visiting and the wind is easterly or south easterly forget it, poss wind sheer from my house plus you would be taking off over yachts and water etc, which is not a good idea. If your starting from here its fine from 180deg thru to 050deg. Theres normally a windsock out if your passing by.

Coltishall isn't a problem, its not active anymore. theres a microlight airfield at Ludham 2 miles north, but not very active, the main thing to watch out for is the Norwich approach is overhead, inbound and outbound traffic is generally above 2000ft by the time it passes over. But its worth looking out for. Sometimes get an Apache low over our place and theres a neighbour with an autogyro who likes it low and fast. But other than that not much to worry about.

Hi Stu

My names Simon.

Yes Dave, any time you want to land or take off from here your welcome, as is anyone. One word of caution though, the field suits an experienced flyer, your take offs and landings need to be accurate or you could find yourself the source of amusement to several boaters. I always do a dummy approach to check the glide descent rate and check no yacht masts have suddenly appeared since I took off. If your visiting and the wind is easterly or south easterly forget it, poss wind sheer from my house plus you would be taking off over yachts and water etc, which is not a good idea. If your starting from here its fine from 180deg thru to 050deg. Theres normally a windsock out if your passing by.

Coltishall isn't a problem, its not active anymore. theres a microlight airfield at Ludham 2 miles north, but not very active, the main thing to watch out for is the Norwich approach is overhead, inbound and outbound traffic is generally above 2000ft by the time it passes over. But its worth looking out for. Sometimes get an Apache low over our place and theres a neighbour with an autogyro who likes it low and fast. But other than that not much to worry about.

Thanks mate, is coltishall airspcae no longer active then? if not then I won have to dog leg around it to get to weybourne.

yep, it closed in 2006, think there turning it into a waste re-cycling plant or something like that, not sure the legality of it, but its uncanny doing a low fly past down the runway looking at all the disused jaguar hangars.

Norwich Airport is trying to get its airspace extended which will nearly touch the coast if it goes ahead, but to us PPG's, who cares stay out of the atz at the right height and no one gives a sheet. Si

yep, it closed in 2006, think there turning it into a waste re-cycling plant or something like that, not sure the legality of it, but its uncanny doing a low fly past down the runway looking at all the disused jaguar hangars.

Norwich Airport is trying to get its airspace extended which will nearly touch the coast if it goes ahead, but to us PPG's, who cares stay out of the atz at the right height and no one gives a sheet. Si

Thanks Si.