Jump to content

Paramotor Training in Ireland?


Recommended Posts

Hi fellas, I've been looking to take up the paramotoring for over a year now, I've at long last decided to go ahead with it. I'm looking to know if there are any trainers in Ireland, north or south? I'm in Armagh, I would prefer to find a trainer in Ulster but I'm willing to travel anywhere on the island. I can't find much information on the internet so I though it best to ask the experts here.

I've also been looking at paramotors on gumtree, what do you reckon about these? I'm 77KG.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/param ... /109049437

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/param ... /108611895

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/he-r8 ... 1092975107

Any help would be fantastic guys, thank you in advanced.

All the Best,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

A full list of BHPA schools and instructors published at- http://www.bhpa.co.uk/bhpa/schools/

Unfortunately no paramotor instructors/schools in Northern Ireland, but 2 schools in the Republic.

Most Northern Irish pilots have gone to learn abroad- using Skyschool or Mahoney Aviation

It's impossible to get 7-10 days good weather in a row here anyway, so abroad is the best option.

http://www.mahonyaviation.com/ or http://www.skyschooluk.com/


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Gordon, many thanks for that information, I think going abroad would be the best plan for me, I'm due a holiday anyhow :)

Are there clubs in NI? How many days could I expect to get out per year? I know our weather isn't exactly great for the sport but unfortunately it's all we got.

I seen the schools in the republic, are the laws the same down there? When I get trained up could I take a trip down south? I think I read somewhere that you need to apply for permission before you can fly.

Thanks again Gordon,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really dependent on weather- this year was not so good but in a typical year you could on average get around 60 to 100hrs. (Approx once a week)

In the Republic of Ireland you will need to hold an exemption certificate- to get this you will require professional tuition from a certified school, you will need to pass a practical test and written test, submit a Class 2 medical certificate, and prove that you have 3rd party insurance. Flying without an exemption certificate will lead to prosecution, a fine and confiscation of equipment.

There are also certain conditions for ROI- you must obey air law, avoid controlled airspace, not fly from public areas, not exceed 3000ft, etc...

In saying that- there are people who fly in the ROI without the exemption... but at their own risk of the authorities.

If you are under instruction from a certified instructor, then I think you are covered to fly in the south, under supervision- there may be also other conditions to this.

In Northern Ireland it's much simpler- just avoid controlled airspace, stay below 10000ft, keep in VFR conditions, don't overfly densly populated areas, obey the 500ft rule, fly withing designated 'daylight' conditions, etc... and you're sorted. General air law really...

If flying weekdays during the day (9 to 5) you need to submit a CANP to the MOD 24hrs in advance.

It's recommended that you have 3rd party insurance, proper safety gear, and proper training, etc... too.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
  • Create New...