Previous flying experience

matt_k

I just got myself a Jabiru 450 UL :-) Not flown in it yet but have been up in the C42 to get started with my training.

It's a totally different kettle of fish, nothing like the same feeling of freedom, more stress while flying.

If you want to get from a to b in the air, buy a Jab :-) If you want to enjoy a relaxing flight at sunset, buy a paramotor :-)

I have taught, BA Captins x 2 Apache Pilots x 2, Search and rescue pilots x2, Puma pilots x many, an Extra 300 pilot and even a euro fighter pilot, and they all do it for the lack of BS, and the chilled out (ness) that only a Paramotor can offer.

SW :D

I flew GA aircraft for 17 yrs and the two have loads in common.

1) They both share the same principles of flight (more or less).

2) ...ermm, did I mention the principles of flight bit. Hmmm

Ok, advatages of GA.

1) Great mode of transport, except when you get there (wherever there is), you just lost your transport (unless you have a Terrefugia), which is ok as long as you like airports/fields.

2) Great if you like to push/pull/flick and press.

3) If you're one those sad people that struggle to spend your money, the CAA (Campaign Against Aviation) have completed many courses on this ailment and these days are experts at helping you through this affliction. By the time they finish with you, you will be clean. Fabulous group of guys (and girls of course).

4) If you're the type that likes a Cessna keyring.....

Advantages of Paramotoring (Simon, is there a character limit to each post :D )

1) You feel like you are really flying, like flying in your dreams...or is that just me :oops:

2) Never under-estimate the effect that cheap flying has on the over-all experience. Whenever I flew GA, I always had one eye on the clock calculating the cost. It kind of spoilt it for me.

3) Whenever I flew GA I always wished that I had been around during the pioneering days of aviation, before all the rules and regs, when you could tinker with your aircraft, make modifications, try things out, discuss with like-minded people how to make things better and share experiences. Ring any bells?

4) An aircraft in the back of your car. C'mon, how COOL is that.

5) Slow flight. You really do get to see everything, slowly, which is a real advantage over whizzing past it at 100knts with scratched perspex in between. Missed something or want a closer look? No problem, a quick 180 and back over it.

Bottom line, for pleasure flying (as opposed to a tool for transport), there really is no comparison. IMO (obviously)

Dan

I started off on flex wings. Felt safer on my first flight on a ppg than I did first solo flight in a flex wing after 20 hours tuition. Loved flying them but there is so much more involved in flying and for me that spoilt it a bit,

Flex wings give you good feed back and after I while you fly them by feel, pritty impressive when they are chucked about, I only experienced that as a passenger tho.

I've been in choppers, gliders and an airobatic plane (when I was in the air cadets) but being in 100% control of a paramotor and doing whatever you want and how ya want to do it is the best,

Always good to try new ways of flying, I want my next one to be with mr Branson!

I started flying light aircraft at 16 (I'm now late 30's) and went on to be an instructor, air survey pilot, and commercial airline pilot on Twin Otters and Islanders. I've owned and flown various light aircraft (Stampe, Super Cub, Taylor Monoplane and TSR3 Racer). I did an awful lot of bimbling about in my own little planes, landing in friends fields, charging up and down beaches, doing beat-ups, lots of aerobatics, formation, airshows, fixing, re-building, crashing.. So I reckon in terms of experience it was as free and easy as conventional light aeroplanes get.

After flying 7 days a week for years on around 40 different types I stopped pretty much completely a few years ago. I pretty much ran out of new things to do and realised that the only 'fun' flying was starting to get a bit hairy. I worked in aircraft test and evaluation before starting my current business.

My random main observations having learned to paramotor last year:

• Paramotors are very easy to fly compared to conventional aircraft
    Paramotors are very very stable and docile compared to conventional aircraft
    There's an amazing lack of coherent 'standard practice' compared to conventional flying
    I've always really been afraid of heights and it's more of a problem on a paramotor
    I'm amazed it's so safe

The greatest advantages of paramotoring:

• A flying machine in the back of my car! (well van actually..)
    I can fly from anywhere.
    Fly slow and look at stuff!
    Met some great people.
    No licence, medical, CofA, landing fees...
    It's a bit scary
    It's an excuse to drive a van again!

Edited by Guest

I started flying light aircraft at 16 (I'm now late 30's) and went on to be an instructor, air survey pilot, and commercial airline pilot on Twin Otters and Islanders. I've owned and flown various light aircraft (Stampe, Super Cub, Taylor Monoplane and TSR3 Racer). After flying 7 days a week for years on around 40 different types I stopped pretty much completely a few years ago. I pretty much ran out of new things to do and realised that the only 'fun' flying was starting to get a bit hairy. I worked in aircraft test and evaluation before starting my current business.

My random main observations having learned to paramotor last year:

• Paramotors are very easy to fly compared to conventional aircraft
    Paramotors are very very stable and docile compared to conventional aircraft
    There's an amazing lack of coherent 'standard practice' compared to conventional flying
    I've always really been afraid of heights and it's more of a problem on a paramotor
    I'm amazed it's so safe

The greatest advantages of paramotoring:

• A flying machine in the back of my car! (well van actually..)
    I can fly from anywhere.
    Fly slow and look at stuff!
    Met some great people.
    No licence, medical, CofA, landing fees...
    It's a bit scary
    It's an excuse to drive a van again!

LOL

SW :D