Hexo, Octo whatever Copter....

poz

Radio controlled drones seem to be getting really complexed and capable these days and some of the videos out there are simply amazing.

However, for some reason it seems to be mostly DIY for the enthusiasts in the field. I can only find one manufacturer that provides truly capable and complexed machines, built and ready to go, with the spec that I would like. This is a company called Draganfly, and the machine is the X8. Apparently, the basic spec'd entry level is $32k :shock:

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that has their act together enough to produce a ready built reliable machine with the following spec:

GPS autopilot with software to input way points

OLED Screen on transmittor with capability for VR head viewer

Fully stabilised gimble for Pro DSLR (up to 3 kg)

Basically similar to the X8 without the silly price tag. Or do I need to wait another 5 years or so?

Cheers

Dan

Radio controlled drones seem to be getting really complexed and capable these days and some of the videos out there are simply amazing.

However, for some reason it seems to be mostly DIY for the enthusiasts in the field. I can only find one manufacturer that provides truly capable and complexed machines, built and ready to go, with the spec that I would like. This is a company called Draganfly, and the machine is the X8. Apparently, the basic spec'd entry level is $32k :shock:

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that has their act together enough to produce a ready built reliable machine with the following spec:

Basically similar to the X8 without the silly price tag. Or do I need to wait another 5 years or so?

Cheers

Dan

contact Simon as we have two of these we use with a bigger camera then yours, and we can build/supply you with one to what ever specs you need.

Defiantly cheaper than the x8 but just as capable.

Pete

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

I ve been flying multicopters for quite a while now and my advise is, don't expect to be jumping in and start shooting professional video footage after few weeks or even months. It really takes a long time to first master the flying, then to master the shooting (may be easier if you have previous Rc heli experience, yet still a steep learning curve).

As for the machine, there are really hiped machines out there but the general consensus among the multicopter community is that a well built one will match if not exceed the performance of those 32k one.

-GPS autopilot is common thing, almost all of them have it now.

-Waypoint navigation, there is not much use of it in the video shooting applications (what will your use be to think you will need it?) and it poses more problems than solutions (most concerning range of piloting and videolinking to the ground).

- FPV (what you call VR head viewer) is common thing too but has its drawbacks and complexity too - takes a while too to learn.

- Gimbals good enough for video shooting at professional level are a rarity, especially for the range of weight you are looking for. Some had a bit of success in the DIY sector, but very very hard to obtain.

All that said, since you want a ready to fly machine, there is a company that stands out with his latest model of multicopter/gimbal solution: DIJ with its Zenmuse 15 gimbal and s800 oktokopter. It will not come cheap but not as costly as the others: around 4000-5000 $.

Have a look at some of the video tests on vimeo or youtube, i.e.:

[vimeo]

[/vimeo]

This kind of stabilization is so far unmatched in multirotors world and is a good rival for professional cineflex 500.000$ full scale heli mounts. But they only have it for Sony nex 5n-7 cameras so far, which is by all accounts close to DSLR video footage quality wise.

Although I agree time is your friend......

I would also have to say that Pete and I purchased our 'Spidi Cam' a month before we left to shoot for Nati Geo in China ( having never touched even an RC heli before!! ) And then shot with an NEX FS 100 (35mm DLSR) which has already been used in the Directors showreel (Bear Gryllls Director) and will be on TV in a few weeks. :-)

Our footage has been compared to a Cineflex by many other Directors already :-) :-) :-)

It can be done, its stressful and expensive but possible for sure... the proof will be in the pudding (show) of course.

Poz, do call me dude, I am sure you will be happy you did ;-):-)

SW :D

Guys, thanks very much for your replies.

It's interesting that most seem to be using these copters for video, when actually my use is strictly still photography, but then again who knows. I'm told the video capability on my Nikon D800E is pretty good. But for now, I have my hands full with the still stuff.

I would like the ability to take the sort of photos that I'm currently using my PPG to get. Not that I intend to stop flying and photographing from my PPG, but I would like to cover all the bases.

I have to say that it would be quite step into the unknown with a large chunk of cash involved. Not to mention the thought of sending up thousands of pounds worth of photo equipment in something that doesn't seem a million miles away from the model aeroplanes that I used to spend hours building, briefly fly and then crash and destroy on not too an infrequent basis :oops:

I guess I was hoping to cover this base without having to spend more than a couple of thousand, but it doesn't really look that realistic now that I've had a closer look.

I know I shouldn't be, but I can't thinking .....hmm a VW Calafornia camper van to take me and my PPG to far flung places to get great photos, or...... a radio controlled helicopter :wink:

Simon, I will call you over the next few days.

Cheers

Dan

Although I agree time is your friend......

I would also have to say that Pete and I purchased our 'Spidi Cam' a month before we left to shoot for Nati Geo in China ( having never touched even an RC heli before!! ) And then shot with an NEX FS 100 (35mm DLSR) which has already been used in the Directors showreel (Bear Gryllls Director) and will be on TV in a few weeks. :-)

Our footage has been compared to a Cineflex by many other Directors already :-) :-) :-)

It can be done, its stressful and expensive but possible for sure... the proof will be in the pudding (show) of course.

Poz, do call me dude, I am sure you will be happy you did ;-):-)

Looking forward to see the results! Let us know when is aired. Actually maybe a raw unedited copy straight out of copter would be ideal, before the Nat Geo savvy editors played with it in post ;)

Can you post a sample to show?

Poz

"I would like the ability to take the sort of photos that I'm currently using my PPG to get."

And just what the hell is wrong with your current method? lol

Ok, apart from the fact that I am replying to your question flat out on my bed because my back has gone....again (can't help wondering how many years I have left to foot launch) :(

If you have a few minutes, take a look at what is possible right now with these amazing contraptions...

http://www.kopterworx.com/gallery

Things can only get better, cheaper and easier as well :D

Poz,

If you do get one and get good at it, I / We can most likely push some work your way. (the recent NZ trip for Redbull) as an example. Again, were talking film rather than stills.

Poz,

If you do get one and get good at it, I / We can most likely push some work your way. (the recent NZ trip for Redbull) as an example. Again, were talking film rather than stills.

That sounds promising Simon. Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm trying to get my head around this at the moment. The more I look into it, the more I see it as the future, but also I think you are right, in that it's high quality video is where the money is as opposed to the stills side. Also I think I would really need to be good at it, as there are a couple of outfits here already with a clear head start such as Helifilm:

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

This is a fab challenge for me, and I like that, but it's something that takes time and patience, not just the operations side, but the technical side i.e. the ability to build, fully understand and repair the machines. That's going to be the hard bit for me.

So probably I should start with a smaller cheaper model in kit form to learn the basics.

Wish I was close by so I could just pop in and have a chat and a nosey at your set up.

Cheers

Dan