Cross Country - How is it possible?

craigs

Hi All,

Daft question I'm afraid.........

I'm a complete newbie, just researching & saving brass at the minute but looking at buying a paramotor next year.

I've done quite a lot of reading & wiled away hours watching video footage on youtube etc but I can't quite understand how the xc flying is done.

If a tank of fuel lasts approx 2-3 hours how would you re-fuel when you have to land? Would you need to be near a petrol station & carry oil or would you have pre-planned this & have someone waiting for you?

The xc flying interests me more than anything else, for example fly out, lunch, walk around then make your way home.

Told you it was a daft question :oops:

There are a few ways of doing it-

I mainly carry enough fuel for the 'out and back' legs... thats about an hour out and and hour back with reserve capacity. If the windspeed isn't too high then you can cover around 30miles out and a return trip of 30 miles- total 60 miles.

For longer trips, I would deposit pre-mixed fuel at an RV point or get some one to take it and leave it there for me.

Also handy if you have PPG buddies in various parts of the country- fly to their location and 'borrow' their fuel.

GD

Brilliant - thanks Gordon, that's cleared things up but has also prompted my offer of support for anyone who's around my area - Barnsley in South Yorkshire. If anyone's flying by let me know & I'd be happy to help & may even supply a cuppa!!

Another alternative, that I saw whilst training (& watching every Youtube video there was) was landing near a garage taking the tank over the hedge & filling up.

There are 3 things to be aware of:

1. Your choice of Paramotor has a detachable tank (not all of them do)

2. You have the land owners permission to take off again.

3. If your motor is 2 stroke oil would be pretty useful! (a baby bottle is good here - stash it in the harness).

I remember feeling like this at the beginning...

However, the actual reality, for me, is that 1 to 1.5 hrs is enough with a 2 stroke motor buzzing 6 inches from your spine.

I find more preferable is to take the PPG in the car to different places and have a fly around. Saves a lot of phaffing about re extra fuel etc

These are not fantasting 'going places' machines because of their slow speed and limited fuel capacity. Where they really come into their own is the fact that you have an aircraft in the boot of your car, that does not require a prepared surface to laiunch from and land and can get you airborne in just a few feet. Completely unique in the aviation community :D

Dan

Best way I found but not the most cost effective :wink:

Take the wife out for a nice supper Monday, Wednesday clean the carpet..... :) Friday deliver the gift. Saturday have her pick you up in the middle of nowhere....

Poz is right for the most part. We do a lot of driving to a new location and buzzing around. I don’t think I've ever ran the mini out of gas. Close a few times.

My main problem’s have been to find a place to land take a whizzzz and take off again.

In all seriousness we lean on some friends, I have some buddies that dont like to fly but love to hang out on a sunny day by the beach have a few beers (you have to supply this for the pickups) drive the truck over to pick you up or refuel if your going long.

cheers

T

Best way I found but not the most cost effective :wink:

My main problem’s have been to find a place to land take a whizzzz and take off again.

A pilot who I will not name has explained to me how to achieve this without landing - although I'm sure such a practise would breach the rule about not dropping anything :shock:

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Craig

XC is my kinda flying we do many long xc flights down here on the south coast..my longest flight was 5h20mins But most are 2-3 hours land, lunch, and fly back, One of my favorite flights is the Isle of wight XC.. We take of with a light north wind from Hamrook and cross over to the island, Land at our fav spot near st Catherine's point have a pub lunch and wait for the sea breeze to kick in then we head off on a soaring flight along the coastline to the needles, We high tail it home at speed back to Hambrook, Our max speed home on one flight was 100kph.

All of the flights we do are normally on one tank of fuel (bailey V5) But most of the spots we land at will have a petrol station near by or a short walk.

I find the best way to plan flights is to use google maps or google pedometer or both and search for petrol stations if needed.

If your going to start long XC's you will need to learn to thermal and also buy an XCpee there is nothing worse than flying for an hour+ needing a piss... It will ruin your flight...

This is not a soaring flight as the sea breeze never came in but you might enjoy this little video

Hi Craig

XC is my kinda flying we do many long xc flights down here on the south coast..my longest flight was 5h20mins But most are 2-3 hours land, lunch, and fly back, One of my favorite flights is the Isle of wight XC.. We take of with a light north wind from Hamrook and cross over to the island, Land at our fav spot near st Catherine's point have a pub lunch and wait for the sea breeze to kick in then we head off on a soaring flight along the coastline to the needles, We high tail it home at speed back to Hambrook, Our max speed home on one flight was 100kph.

All of the flights we do are normally on one tank of fuel (bailey V5) But most of the spots we land at will have a petrol station near by or a short walk.

I find the best way to plan flights is to use google maps or google pedometer or both and search for petrol stations if needed.

If your going to start long XC's you will need to learn to thermal and also buy an XCpee there is nothing worse than flying for an hour+ needing a piss... It will ruin your flight...

This is not a soaring flight as the sea breeze never came in but you might enjoy this little video

Great vid mate, I'd love to fly the above.

Hi Craig

Thanks for the info & advice Morgy, that is an awesome video mate. I'm a long way off xc's at the minute but it's something to aspire to............. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Craig

great vid i see 1 muppet disliked it how the hell would you not think it was great odd people in this world

• 3 months later...