Feel the need to get high....

poz

I wouldn't exactly say that I intend to climb to 8000ft on a regular basis, but I love taking photos at that height. The problem is, getting up there.

I've done it on my PAP PA125 and my Revo2 26. I'm 85kg and it was quite a slog and a long, long time at full throttle, not just the climb, but maintaining straight and level at that altitude required full throttle.

Also the Revo2 drops like a brick (500ft minute)

So, I've been considering changing my motor for a bigger one. Then a friend suggested that I should look at buying an additional, larger wing.

I think this is a much better idea.

I would need only the most basic wing as it would only be used to get to altitude in very calm conditions.

The wing would need to be hyper stable and slow, both in flight and landing (carrying expensive camera equipment).

It's almost the opposite of what you'd normally want in a modern wing :|

Any ideas?

Also, would I get a better climb rate with trims pulled right in as opposed to neutral where they usually are?

Thanks

Dan

Dan

Not a bigger wing needed. A really efficient wing is what you want for high climb rates. I was surprised when you said the revo 2 sink rate was 500 ft/min. Your poor little motor must've worked hard. My Atis 2 sink rate was only 260 ft/min and with a 200 Simmo and me @16 stone I climbed at 575ft/min in still air. Trimmer settings made little difference. Half throttle was still getting me up at about 350ft/min. Will pm you a youtube link

At your weight try a medium or small Atis or a Nova Mentor . Think the Mentor is about 9/1glide and ENB

Dave

Sometimes you can make a good deal on a large wing at paraglidingforum.com check the sales area.

A large EN A or low end B would work I think.

I had about similar performance with my pap pa125 and fusion 26. It's going to be interesting to see how much difference there is on the 28 m2 speedster I have now.

and yes you get better climb with trimmers fully in.

Sometimes you can make a good deal on a large wing at paraglidingforum.com check the sales area.

A large EN A or low end B would work I think.

I had about similar performance with my pap pa125 and fusion 26. It's going to be interesting to see how much difference there is on the 28 m2 speedster I have now.

and yes you get better climb with trimmers fully in.

Hi Hemberg

I would be really interested to see the comparison in terms of glide ratio, climb rate etc. If you've got the time, could you do a small comparison review.

Cheers

Dan

Dan

Not a bigger wing needed. A really efficient wing is what you want for high climb rates. I was surprised when you said the revo 2 sink rate was 500 ft/min. Your poor little motor must've worked hard. My Atis 2 sink rate was only 260 ft/min and with a 200 Simmo and me @16 stone I climbed at 575ft/min in still air. Trimmer settings made little difference. Half throttle was still getting me up at about 350ft/min. Will pm you a youtube link

At your weight try a medium or small Atis or a Nova Mentor . Think the Mentor is about 9/1glide and ENB

Dave

Cheers Dave, and thanks for the YouTube link. 5000ft in under 10 minutes sound more like it :)

Hi Hemberg

I would be really interested to see the comparison in terms of glide ratio, climb rate etc. If you've got the time, could you do a small comparison review.

Cheers

Dan

Between the fusion and the speedster you mean? I sold the fusion a few days ago but when I tested the speedster I compared climb rate very unscientifically and would say that the climb rate is about 20-25 % better on the speedster 28 compared to the fusion 26.

I made a test run with the fusion and checked the vario. Then one with the speedster. Then made an approximation about how much faster I climbed. So all I can say for sure is that it climbs better which isn't too surprising considering that it is new, bigger and more efficient.

Anyway if you normally fly high with trimmers at neutral I would suggest that you give it a try with trimmers fully in before you buy anything. Just to see for yourself if that is good enough.

Hi Hemberg

Cheers

Dan

Between the fusion and the speedster you mean? I sold the fusion a few days ago but when I tested the speedster I compared climb rate very unscientifically and would say that the climb rate is about 20-25 % better on the speedster 28 compared to the fusion 26.

I made a test run with the fusion and checked the vario. Then one with the speedster. Then made an approximation about how much faster I climbed. So all I can say for sure is that it climbs better which isn't too surprising considering that it is new, bigger and more efficient.

Anyway if you normally fly high with trimmers at neutral I would suggest that you give it a try with trimmers fully in before you buy anything. Just to see for yourself if that is good enough.

Any significant difference on launch and landing?

It is easier to launch. With the fusion I used the motor to help inflate the glider, with the speedster I don't really see to point doing that any more. Fusion was okay to start without help too but speedster is definitely easier.

Landing.. can't say really, it lands :)

It's a bit early to conclude also, haven't had the speedster for more than a month or so. Haven't flown much with it. But fusion isn't revo 2, I think there are some more info if you look in other threads about the speedster and revo 2.