Summer flying

Hi guys just asking a little advice, I'm new to flying and have so far done around 5 flights but not since april time due to crap weather, but now there's a few days of nice weather I'm thinking about having a another crack,I'm wondering from you more experienced guys what the conditions are going to be like at say around 6.30-7pm after its been around 22 Celsius all day? Would I expect to be thrown about a fair bit or do you think it would be smooth? Also how can I avoid thermals and what do I do if I hit one? I'm still quite a nervous flyer as expected with such low airtime but I really wanna try and build my confidence and get out there but I don't wanna get up there and scare myself and then wanna sell all my kit, bear in mind I have no flying experience other than my Paramotor.

Thanks.

Tim.

Hi guys just asking a little advice, I'm new to flying and have so far done around 5 flights but not since april time due to crap weather, but now there's a few days of nice weather I'm thinking about having a another crack,I'm wondering from you more experienced guys what the conditions are going to be like at say around 6.30-7pm after its been around 22 Celsius all day? Would I expect to be thrown about a fair bit or do you think it would be smooth? Also how can I avoid thermals and what do I do if I hit one? I'm still quite a nervous flyer as expected with such low airtime but I really wanna try and build my confidence and get out there but I don't wanna get up there and scare myself and then wanna sell all my kit, bear in mind I have no flying experience other than my Paramotor.

Thanks.

Tim.

Best way to biuld confidence is to fly as much as possible in as varied conditions as possible.

you cant avoid a thermal as you cant see it, but you can do a bit to avoid hitting the worst of them, if you fly in the morning in the summer you almost certainly going to be flying in conditions that will worsen.

If you fly on a summers evening, nine times out of ten conditions will be improving.

dont worry about hitting thermals all they will do is make you go up, wich is kinda what we want to do aint it? :D

to be honest getting caught out in there air and thrown about a bit can be a good thing, it gets you used to what can happen and lets you know you are not going to sudenly fall out the sky.

its all part of the learning curve and your flying skills will be richer for going through it.

oh and another thing, a lot of times people look for cumalus clouds or verticel building clouds as a sign of thermals.

clouds will only form when there is moisture present, you can still have strong thermals and no cloud, paragliding pilots call them "blue" thermals.

Enjoy :D

Thanks outkast so basically just don't panic and enjoy it, I was just worried as I'd heard things like thermals can collapse wings etc, also I like to try and fly with my brakes clipped up if I hit a thermal do I need to grab them and do any input? Will I just fly straight through the thermal and out the other side?

Thanks.

Tim.

It sounds as though it would be a better idea for you to hook up with some more experienced pilots.

Weather IS a big one... It will bite you if you get it wrong and the quickest way to learn is to fly with others.

SW :D

Thanks.

Tim.

Hey Tim,

I didn't get if you are flying by yourself or not? Have you completed your school training? These are questions you should ask your instructor which will be more than glad to answer, and by the time you finish your training you will have enough flying time and confidence to go flying by yourself with no fears.

I just hope you are not trying to teach yourself paramotoring. It can really bite you badly.

Cheers,

Dave

Tim

A good indicator of how flying conditions will be, is to watch the windsock. If it's moving through 90 degrees or more, it would indicate stronger thermals. Ground handle the wing for 10 minutes if you have a breeze. If it's difficult to keep above your head, that would be another pointer.

Damp ground plus brilliant sunshine = arse kicking. Could get lively about 9.30 am in my experience. (June) Fly in the evening to be sure of gentle conditions. A good paragliding instructor will teach you how to thermal.

Dave

Thanks guys, I had lessons for quite a while but they were always in the cooler months I would say I have 8 hours airtime in total but I have never flown now it's warmed up although I have no intention of trying to go up during the daytime I'm planning on later in the evening 6 or 7 pm but I didn't know if thermals would be gone by then, I remember I had a flight in march on a Sunday and it had been a lovely day I took off around 4 pm and it was so smooth it was amazing up there.

Also I'm based in Leicestershire. And I'm still looking for a decent private field I'm gonna try knocking some doors this afternoon.

Thanks.

Tim.

6 to 7.00pm puts you within last 3 hours of the day, and so it should be getting nice and calm as long as all other weather factors are ok and there is no frontal activity. You may get some odd sea breeze convergence if you live near the coast, though it doesn't usually kick you around too much. Check the Leeds rasp table, I find it very accurate for thermals and surface winds.

http://rasp.inn.leedsmet.ac.uk/RASPtabl ... bleGM.html