Some paraglider wings are fast

Just been flying side by side

1. Gin Airflex, 28m, EN B, all up weight 130kg, no speed bar,

2. Windtech Zenith PW, 28m, EN B, all up weight 130Kg, no speed bar

We were flying side by side at the same speed, I was on the Windtech Zenith with about 1cm of trimmer out the Airflex was in full reflex with trimmers fully out. I then let the trimmers out and the Airflex could not keep up.

Why was the paraglider wing faster? Higher aspect ratio, more cells so neater profile, some reflex in the centre of the wing.

Note: both wings are uncertified with trimmers open

Well.... Good question

Windtech Zenith

max speed trim* (km/h) 40km

min-max speed* (km/h) 22-59km

Gin Airflex

They do not state the gliders speed anywhere. But interestingly enough Gin has replaced the airflex already!

http://www.gingliders.com/paramotoring/

what was the pilot loading (all up weight on both).

T

All up weight was almost the same for both about 130kg.

Max speed of 59kph quoted for the Zenith is without trimmers and at the certified weight of 115Kg.

Both the Zenith and the Airflex are certified at max weight of 115Kg both were being flown at 130kg

It looks like the new reflex wing from Gin the 'Mirage' is the same wing but with nylon battens in the leading edge instead of Mylar, and a new name.

Well.... Good question

Windtech Zenith

max speed trim* (km/h) 40km

min-max speed* (km/h) 22-59km

Gin Airflex

They do not state the gliders speed anywhere. But interestingly enough Gin has replaced the airflex already!

http://www.gingliders.com/paramotoring/

what was the pilot loading (all up weight on both).

T

All up weight was almost the same for both about 130kg.

Max speed of 59kph quoted for the Zenith is without trimmers and at the certified weight of 115Kg.

Both the Zenith and the Airflex are certified at max weight of 115Kg both were being flown at 130kg

It looks like the new reflex wing from Gin the 'Mirage' is the same wing but with nylon battens in the leading edge instead of Mylar, and a new name.

From what I see its a fast glider. I could not believe the tainted history of Windtec. The guys on paraglider forum where having quite a debate.

There's a guy in the States you could ask, as he has done some awesome scientific testing of almost every wing on the market, and even provides video evidence so it cannot be disputed !

Can't remember his name, but should be easy to find as he holds every world record ... in everything ..... :roll::lol:

So was this just an normal flight and an observation??? or were you out to test? if so why not do up wind and down wind to give us an ave speed...

I would be keen to know ave speeds fuel burn etc

It was a normal flight, We was just surprised that paraglider wing was clearly faster than the reflex wing, so we decided to do a comparison. I did not have a GPS, next time I will take a GPS and get some figures.

I am more than happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think it has got battens, the 'light leading edge' referred to in the blurb is exactly the same blurb that was used for the Airflex and is Marlar with a lot of it cut away to reduce weight, I think they have just changed colours and material suppliers, which is not surprising as it is such a nice wing anyway.

Stuart.

Not only fast Richard. Almost 10 to one glide aswell. And even a couple of ENB wings with well over 50 kmh, 10/1 glide AND safety !!! Fit trimmers for 60 kph and chuck some of the safety if you want to. We're spoilt compared to some of the dogs of yesteryear.

I sat infront of my mate on his revo for miles and miles with atis 2 with trimmers. Used less fuel , sporty handling, better glide, inspite of the extra 3 stone etc. No one believed it