Bak-rak

• 2 months later...

This Thread ain't dead yet..........

I've had a rethink on my paramotor carrier, and got my 'latest' solution working today for the first time.

I've switched to the Bak-rak mount, as it seems to be a lot stronger and versatile compared to the Easybase.

Really only using the Bak-rak block, the rest has been fabricated/welded from mild steel- then galvanised.

Principle is similar to last time- support at base, and prop hub, anchored to base via a bar and 2 wing nuts, then secured by a ratchet strap to relieve any stresses on the paramotor chassis..

Pretty minimal, yet strong enough to hold my weight comfortably. Lighter than the Thule Easybase, and handier to take off, and put back on.

I've left the upper section for supporting the prop hub removable- the system could be used for 'short runs', without the prop stop- but i'm more comfortable with it. The only minor inconvenience is removing the whole unit if you want access to the back door- but this is a very simple job.

Full series of images at-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20961594@ ... 0887803562

20510814442_538f16c405_b.jpg

[attachment=2]ImageUploadedByPMC Forum1439639925.807504.jpg[/attachment]

I also used the Uni Rak attachment , incorporated a pivot so that, with the removal of a pin it will rotate out of the way of the boot door.

Nice one- Very clever idea Pat, I was thinking of doing the pivot also, but thought it was just as handy to loosen the main bolt and pull the rack off.

Forgot to mention- the only thing missing from my setup there is the rear number plate- I've since added some clips to the bungee cord to secure the number plate to- just to keep things legal. I don't need additional rear lighting as, the main car lights are not obstructed by the cage.

• 2 months later...
Forgot to mention- the only thing missing from my setup there is the rear number plate- I've since added some clips to the bungee cord to secure the number plate to- just to keep things legal. I don't need additional rear lighting as, the main car lights are not obstructed by the cage.

Here's an updated image of the new rack at work.

Worked out very well- handier/lighter than the 'Easybase' and much stonger.

21674816653_590774c083_c.jpg

• 2 years later...

Update on the Bak-rak system.   My previous system was pretty good, but did not like the weight, it was a 'little over engineered' so decided to make a 'minimal' version.  Made the base and rear spine together in one weldment, then added a 16mm ply base bolted down onto the spine.   A lot lighter, and just as effective as the previous one.-- All images at -Flickr page

24162289018_15bd5aba74_c.jpg

24162289308_4088a6b562_c.jpg

24162288498_5db773aa27_c.jpg

38013863421_9d7d71ffa4_c.jpg

Edited by gordon_dunn
  • Like 2

Just to compliment the 'rak', I've been working on another little project.

All the kit is together now in one piece.....  on a trolley that I can wheel out to the car, and load up.  Basically if it's on the trolley, it's going with me- no more need for the checklists.  The trolley can also be used to move all the gear to the takeoff point- this time of year I always need to leave the car at the gate to avoid getting bogged in, or upsetting the landowners.

After I return from flying, the rig just rolls into it's space in the garage.....   really handy.   A place for everything on the trolley- flying suit, helmet, windsock, cameras, wing, ground stake, sock pole, and up to 20 litres of fuel.....

26419049379_118813d4a8.jpg

All gear on trolley- rolls out to car for loading

38163903502_35163afe46.jpg

Wind sock pole and groundstake attached to sides via spring clips

26419049039_143c706cb9.jpg

All gear on trolley, motor covered for storage in garage/hangar

26419049729_fc35f994de.jpg

Motor unit restrained using fixed stops

24343230178_06ed00fd88.jpg

Fuel and box restrained using fixed stops...

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, paul_grover said:

Blimey- the thread lives! Six years and counting...Timely actually as I’m after ideas for putting a Zenith Bailey on a Thule easybase :)

I started with a Bak-rak, and it served me well for many years, but I got fed up with having to get the wrench out to remove it from my van, so I decided to strip down our expensive Thule 3 bike rack which I thought we weren't using very much. Apparently I was wrong. My missus was not impressed. But wow, now it's so easy to put on and take off. I can definitely recommend the quick release system, it's proper clever.

2018-05-23 19.14.14.jpg

2018-05-23 19.13.42.jpg

Edited by poz