Bak-rak

I used 6 or 8mm builders ply on my Bak - Rak 16-18 quid from Wickes IIRC.

If you look at my earlier pics, the ply isn't a strain bearing component... its just a convenient base to sit the motor on and screw things to... No need to go for the posh marine ply 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Just and update with the back-rack-

Here are the further modifications I've made-

Angle brackets added to the rear member to prevent the prop from spinning when in transit.

Note that these are loosely fitted and not tight against the prop edges. There is minimal play between the prop-sock and the brackets to avoid any possibility of damage.

7964425292_9e5580763c.jpg

'No-step' warning. So far everyone that has seen the Thule Easybase system asks- 'how can a clamp on the towball support such a weight?', before proceeding to lift their foot and see if it can take their weight... This is just a friendly reminder not to even try it....

(Especially useful when I'm in the air and people stop by to look at it)

7964424660_58c73d4e2e.jpg

GD

Hi - I've been lurking for quite a while. Finally got off the ground for my maiden flights last week under Steve Haze's watchful gaze... :-)

I bought a Thule Easybase last year as well as the 'Easy bag' - which up till now (because of the weather) I've used primarily for camping kit. Although a little wary at first I'm beginning to get more confident that it's not going to fall off the back. Bailey V5 without cage fits nicely in the bag and although I don't think it really needs it I add a strap round the whole lot secure it to the vertical bar.

Seems to work nicely - completely water/dust proof. Just don't tell me "i told you so" when I report it lost on the M27!

Paul

easybase.jpg.d2f4f50a7f47a36afa5a18468f6

Nice Job!

Congrats on your first flight too!

Just out of interest- how long does it take to get the Bailey up and ready when you're at the field?

You've got a great advantage there in the fact that the bag is waterproof, etc..?

I also got a transport case with my Miniplane, but wouldn't like to be disassemling it everytime to get into the case.

Thanks Gordon - it was sure worth the wait! :-) 4 flights and 2.5 hours now... feel like I'm on the way

I'm still relatively new to it but from arrival to readiness I should say it takes about 15-20 minutes (especially as for some reason I'm fingers and thumbs when it comes to attaching the tank!). Think I could get it down a little but I can live with that.

paul

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update...

Having decided upon the Thule EasyBase, I have fiddled & fudged & sworn & skinned knuckles, but have created the following:

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

As you can see, it can be used with or without the cage - depending on whether it's a 5 minute drive to my take-off field or a five hour drive up the A1.

I carefully considered which way around to mount the engine unit, and while I was tempted to copy Gordon I found removing the harness and butting the chassis onto the EasyBase upright more secure. Sure, this means removing the seat/harness and storing it in the car, but that way I'll avoid a wet bum too!

There is easily enough spare space on the platform to store the cage quarters, and potentially even the wing & a jerry can if desired. Nice to keep the petrol fumes on the outside of the car...

I cut some holes in the upright so that the hangpoint pins can be used to secure the chassis. On reflection I'm not convinced this is such a good idea - sure, it's pretty neat, and I have no doubt the pins are up to the job, but regular long journeys might introduce stresses that damage either the pins themselves or even the chassis. Perhaps a simple strap securing the chassis to the upright might be a safer, more durable option.

The last thing to do is mount a lockable stay, indicated here by a broom handle:

IMAG0233.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

This will offer some security against opportunist theft while I enjoy my Olympic breakfast, while reducing further the chance of losing the whole lot on the A14...

The final step will then be a bespoke waterproof cover for the chassis/engine unit, plus small touches like Gordons "No Step" sign and a reminder of the torque settings for the EasyBase.

It's not the perfect transport solution, but the Thule EasyBase sits ROCK solid on the towbar, and because I drive an estate the profile sits comfortably out of the wind when the cage is removed. With a little thought to security and weatherproofing there's now no excuse to leave my kit at home!

:wingover:

Looks pretty good!

It's just a matter of customising it the way that works best for you- the Thule system is very flexible and there are plenty of ways of doing it.

Good point on the mounting direction- I'd considered doing it your way too, but found that the machine is just easier to handle when the harness is pointing to the back. The fact that I really only fly in good/dry weather now means that there is reduced chance of the harness getting wet, so I'm not too worried about this.

The Bailey is a much larger machine to start with- so I can see that this has been a challenge.

I'm sure this thread will inspire a few more people and perhaps bring out more ideas.

GD

I've just made my own rack from a cycle carrier, that I got of ebay and chopped all the bits off I didn't want and put a patform on it.

I used 15mm pipe clips fixed to the base to clip the frame into and then put a metal plate with a few wing nuts on the top to secure the frame to the base.

It's rock solid and cost me about £50.

I'll post an photo later.

Paul

I've just made my own rack from a cycle carrier, that I got of ebay and chopped all the bits off I didn't want and put a patform on it.

I used 15mm pipe clips fixed to the base to clip the frame into and then put a metal plate with a few wing nuts on the top to secure the frame to the base.

It's rock solid and cost me about £50.

I'll post an photo later.

Paul

Looking forward to seeing this- what kind of motor are you carrying?

• 2 weeks later...
This is mine but I am waiting on a Zenith. I'll knock up a new stand for going to the local field.

Used a Thule easy base.

Forgot to say, the doors don't open with this set up.

looks great

are you selling this one? :wink:

I guess youve got it on a tow bar - something Ill have to get I suppose...

I have a parajet volution2 macro

i did consider getting a back rack not to save a few seconds dismantling the frame each time but mainly to stop the inside of the car getting covered in oil and fuel, and although i have 20 years no claims on my insurance there is no control over someone going in to the back of me destroying my motor, has anyone managed to claim the extra 3-5k on top of the damage to there car for there motor in a car accident ????

VERY interesting question indeed.

I wonder if anyone has ever had a claim on the car refused 'because' of a Paramotor being strapped to the back??

SW :D

Can't see how a paramotor on the back of a car would be classed any differently than bikes on a rack.... I'd say that there could be a reluctance for insurance companies to pay out on any damage caused to the paramotor, but they should cover the car.... in saying that.. most insurance companies would have a reluctance to pay out anything....