Flying in the Lake District ie. Windermere/Scafell Pike area

Guest chrisg547

Guest chrisg547

Anybody know the score for flying in the lakes?

My air maps on the iPhone says its restricted.

Is it possible and where would you be able to take off from?

If it's restricted it's restricted.

If you don't fully understand air charts pop to your local school and spend an hour with them explaining one. :-)

Also, the only legal and safe thing to use to ID a safe take off and flight path is a 'current' CAA paper air chart.

Not nagging, its just a bit of advice that I think will make you much happier as a pilot :-)

SW :D

There are places you could fly the coastline around the Morecambe Bay area - Grange over Sands, Dalton in Furness etc.

Suggest you avoid Windermere and Scafell Pike as they are quite sensitive areas and you could jeopardize agreements between landowners and local pilots even keeping above 1000' AGL. You could contact the sites officer for advice via : http://www.cumbriasoaringclub.co.uk/CSC_Home.php#

The weather is also fickle and fast changing in that area so best avoided unless you are experienced in flying mountain conditions - and if you are experienced, why not free fly those hills ? :)

Guest chrisg547

I misread it. Its a Danger area so will have to find out who to call to make sure its ok i guess. So i dont go bumping into low flying jets.