Two Stroke ...

Steve

Until I took up paramotoring, the last two stroke engine In owned was in 1979 in my moped. Ever since my bikes were four stroke and brilliant. I'm now on my second two stroke paramotor and I struggling with a specific issue. I'd forgotten how temperamental they are, you can't do this or you mustn't do that, don't keep the revs constant for too long ... but that's not really the issue. It's getting the engine to run properly and constantly that I can't seem to get.

To improve on the lumpy four stroking issue between low and high jets I got a proper float bowl carb for my latest engine. The big issue I have, and cannot seem to solve, is when I have been on gentle cruise for a while and then ease off the throttle, then try to accelerate again - the engine bogs down, I can go to full throttle and there's nothing there, the revs don't budge an inch. It can take 5-10 seconds or more for the engine to recover and power to become available again, during which time altitude has been lost and I start looking for landing sites in case the engine stays unusable. I've tried various mixture adjustments but it still happens. The plug is (subtly) oily black with no signs of white deposits.

Can anyone with a knowledge of two strokes give me some advice; I'm assuming the engine is either temporarily dry of fuel (which is obviously bad for lubrication too) or it's flooding (although it doesn't feel like that). Something to do with the transition through the crankcase?

The engine is a Thor 100 with a PWK carb. I'm running Shell premium petrol with Motul 800 oil at 1.5%.

I'll await the 'should have bought a Bailey' engine comments - I should have but there was a long delivery time and I was without a paramotor.

I use the standard walbo but do the mods her on it. file://localhost/Users/peterbaldwin/Desktop/PARAMOTOR%20RELATED/Walbro%20Carb%20Modification%20for%20Smooth%20and%20Slow%20Idle.html

Runs sweet on all my motors. :D

Have you done a plug check (high revs for a few minutes then cut the engine with out releasing the throttle??)

If the colour is ok then its flooding it self on the lower revs which is why it takes time to clear before it will pick the revs up again.

I use the standard walbo but do the mods her on it. file://localhost/Users/peterbaldwin/Desktop/PARAMOTOR%20RELATED/Walbro%20Carb%20Modification%20for%20Smooth%20and%20Slow%20Idle.html

Runs sweet on all my motors. :D

Have you done a plug check (high revs for a few minutes then cut the engine with out releasing the throttle??)

If the colour is ok then its flooding it self on the lower revs which is why it takes time to clear before it will pick the revs up again.

Cheers Pete, I couldn't use the link 'cos it's pointing at your own computer :lol: . Is it the mod which involves making a slot in the valve?

Haven't done a full blast and then cut the motor plug check recently, it's always nearly dark when I land or starting to rain or both so it's pack away quickly mode. If it's flooding itself on low revs then leaning off the mixture didn't work when I did that a few weeks ago but I was running a higher oil ratio then so will try it again in case that makes a difference. Would be surprised if I had to look at different jet sizes though may have to. I thought Polini ran their motors and tuned them befoe they left the factory but that may just be marketing hype.

The engine is a Thor 100 with a PWK carb. I'm running Shell premium petrol with Motul 800 oil at 1.5%.

I'll await the 'should have bought a Bailey' engine comments - I should have but there was a long delivery time and I was without a paramotor.

I wont Say you should have bought a bailey!!! But as for the long wait.... your right But if you had come to us you would not have had a long wait at all. In fact we carry stock... Well we did but due to high demand we now have a wait list all be it very short 3/4 weeksas we always have a rolling order with Bailey..

Regards

Mark

Sussex Paramotors

Bogging down when you accelerate is nearly always cased by an over rich carb setting.

Only knowing Bing 'float-bowl' carbs from microlighting (it may different with your carb), can you not drop the needle down a notch? Otherwise you may need a smaller jet?

If the problem only happens after a sustained time at part throttle, then it could be carb icing which float bowl carbs are prone to.

Stuart.

No an order is for Paramotor not just motor I can sell you an engine but it will come with a free Chassis For £5450 :wink:

Bailey Will not just supply me with Motor. Paul does not like people fitting his V5 to any old Chassis and does not like people doing it them selves, If anything was to go wrong with it it will look bad for Bailey...

I have asked for Steve Haze to put a V5 in a P jet ANS was NO!!!!

Stevie Sell the Fly Mecc and come and see us :wink: We can supply you with a V5 at a time to suit you IE when you have sold the Flymecc as long as you have a deposit on it, Otherwise we will sell it :lol:

If you are interested best get your name down we are ordering more and more units but are selling out faster than Bailey can supply us at the moment... We are currently Waiting 16 weeks and the wait is going up every time we order. I know of a guy who waited 16 weeks and was told another 5/6 weeks by his dealer. We got him one in 5 days!!! (because we have a rolling stock order)

Regards

Mark

Did someone mention PIE"s :D I seem to have run out of PIE's

We are now having to have a waiting list!!! 3-4 weeks... This was not my idea and business plan But Hey. We started in janand we didn't sell one V5 in two months, We are just about supply our 8th V5 and have 8 more on order 4 of them have names on...

Did you want me to put your name down also Steve... :wink:

I just got myself a mini tractor mower form the bay for £275....

It's a classic job but is built to last and will cut through crap in fields :-)

I got it for the field at the back of my house which I now have permission to keep cut.

SW :D

I have been on the case... but its not up to me when the grass get's cut as it is used for Hay... with all of this rain i can not see it getting cut very soon....

If you had a Four stroke i am sure seymore would let you fly from his!!! Barry has a V5 and fly's ok and is heaver than you... :wink: Might have some thing to do with that old sinky old synth!!! :lol::lol::lol: (ONLY JOKING)

Why not ask if you can rent a circle in the center of the field and offer 2-3 x the price if hay which is F all!

Then it's a petrol lawn mower in the back of a van once every now and then jobby. :-)

LOL

Well, when compared to having a lump of land for flying its F all.

I would pay an extra couple of quid for YOUR bails though dude! I am sure they will be the finest in the land. :-)

Stevie Sell the Fly Mecc and come and see us :wink: We can supply you with a V5 at a time to suit you IE when you have sold the Flymecc as long as you have a deposit on it, Otherwise we will sell it :lol:

:lol: Nice offer but I don't have a Flymecc, it's a Parajet Custom with a Thor engine.