Radios

pete_b

Hi guys,

The subject of using 2 meter radios at the moment appears to have everybody jumpy. Yes, it is illegal to use them unless you are licensed. At the moment it appears that a 'blind eye' is being turned. So, I am going to a meeting on Tuesday for amateur radio enthusiasts, where I hope I can find out exactly what the position is. Will report back after the meeting.

God.........I love being a geek!

Cheers

Bendme

This is a subject that people do tend to shy away from on forums in fear of repromand of some sort....

I remember getting told to be quiet on the UK PPG forum when talking about Radio use for PPG when I first joined it.

99% of the PG pilots that I know use Alinco DJ 195s (2M) that were sold to them by a BHPA 'School' (at point of entry to the sport is my point here)

If I decided to carry an Airband Radio I would not be able to talk to any of the people I fly with day to day, or even overseas PG flying that I do most years.

I for one am more than happy to talk about this as a ppg issue that keeps getting hushed up.

So, if you know about this post the fact's below, the worst that can happen is that people will know more than they do now.

SW :D

I seem to recall that you can use an airband VHF radio without a license if you use only the frequencies designated for paragliding/paramotoring. This is legal, the 2.0 M radio angle is.... illegal.

V23b has interesting things to say about radios... 8)

Hi Norman,

What are the designated frequencies for paragliding/paramotoring, does anyone know?

This is a subject that people do tend to shy away from on forums in fear of repromand of some sort....

I remember getting told to be quiet on the UK PPG forum when talking about Radio use for PPG when I first joined it.

99% of the PG pilots that I know use Alinco DJ 195s (2M) that were sold to them by a BHPA 'School' (at point of entry to the sport is my point here)

If I decided to carry an Airband Radio I would not be able to talk to any of the people I fly with day to day, or even overseas PG flying that I do most years.

I for one am more than happy to talk about this as a ppg issue that keeps getting hushed up.

So, if you know about this post the fact's below, the worst that can happen is that people will know more than they do now.

SW :D

I find it hard to understand why people shy away from the subject! and being told to be quiet, what's that all about!?

And god only knows why 2m radios are illegal, i was told only a few weeks ago that the laws on radios date back to the second world war.

It's about time we got together as a group (paramotorists & Paraglider pilots) decided on which radios and which frequency and get the law changed.

Personally i think PPG should be on Airband and PG on 2M or even all on airband, i have decided to use airband because of local aircraft.

Edited by Guest

Um clarification :

Glider radios

There are 2 types commonly in use in paragliding.

1) Airband radio - The airband radio is AM and has 720 channels, of which gliders are

allocated 5. The airband radio must be type approved. This means that the maker must have

submitted a radio of the same type to the CAA who have then taken it to bits and said its OK to

use. Without taking a RT test, glider pilots are limited to 5 frequencies (129.9, 129.975, 130.1,

130.125, 130.4 and the International Distress frequency of 121.5). The British Gliding

Association recommend that certain frequencies be allocated certain tasks such as ground to air

etc. Radios used by glider pilots in this way must be type approved and lockable to those

frequencies only. Recently the CAA approved the allocation of 118.675 for exclusively our use.

This is Ok for our use anywhere in the UK FIR up to 5,000ft asl. Approval for the radio type

must be sought and a licence held for the radio. (i.e the radio needs a license not the operator)

2) 2m Amateur radio - In the UK Radio Amateurs have use of many frequency bands including

144 to 146 MHz on FM. All of this band is in use. A lot of pilots use the frequencies just below and/or above this range for flying use. It is illegal to use a 2m set from the air, whether you are a licensed

amateur or not.

In practise all paragliding and hang gliding competitions and sport flying in the UK and the continent use the 2meter amateur frequencies 138 to 149. they are by far the best for range/power. As this is often a safety issue the "legalities" are simply disregarded. The important thing with choosing a radio is flexibility. I used to always go for the reliable DJ 180 2m. Now I choose a dual band VHF/UHF and reprogramme it to its maximum frequency range and choose one that has different power outputs, from 10mw up to 5 watts. That makes it "illegal" in every european country. BUT you can choose from Italian/German LPD or UK PMR in the UHF band at 10mw and 500mw respectively (both of which are legal but not from the air) or switch to 2M and transmit on 5watts if you are stuck up a valley in the trees and need help!

If you choose the minimal power for the task and keep your transmissions to the "essential" you will not have any trouble from the authoritoes in any european country.

In France 2metre is just as illegal as it is here but the local authorities (mairies) installs weather "balises" (automatic radio beacons) on the 2metre band for the safety and benefit of pilots!!!!

The only trouble I have ever had over radios was when I took a pair of 2 metre radios to Dubai and they were immediately confiscated at immigration. They were returned to me on exit from that country.

Turkey used to be OK about 2m and I dont know at all about Greece (they can be a bit insecure about plane spotters and that sort of thing).

So arrest me.................

Pete,

iCom T90.

Just get a new aerial. :)

2M Radios. This one is popular and well thought of by all accounts which is why I bought one.

If you look at the Ofcom Frequency Allocationtables for the UK, you will find that the bands that PPG/PG pilots tend to use are not vital to the national interest or at all safety related. My suspicion is that the authorities are fully aware of the usage by our sport but chose not to get involved as 'there isn't a problem' and they don't want to start a dialog that would end in a further official allocation. There is precious little space across the bands as it is.

20080128-rm3qmpqp8dxeej4cidy9mcfjqr.jpg

The solution to the problem (perhaps for us) may be to get an RT License. The process isn't difficult, private pilots do it and once you have it - you can legally us any frequency on the airband. All you need then is an installation license to be fully compliant with the law. I had a conversation with Clive a while back and he mentioned a 'mobile installation license'. Perhaps he will add to the debate with his knowledge?

I have this one, it is an excellent radio, the interface is a little complicated but once you get used to it....

ic_a24_LG.jpg

Yes Norman I agree that the simplest is to get qualified and be compliant. (but dont forget you can use some Airband frequencies with a "locked "set. Certainly if you went to the trouble to get "trike" licensed or moved towards micr-lighting that is what you would definitely do. As you say its simply a matter of following the procedure.

BUT as Simon said you would then not be on the same frequency as your paramotoring or para/hang gliding buddies who are all on 2 metre! The 2 meter 138 to 149 range has been "comandeered" by long usage in all FAI regulated areas for the sport of Vol-Libre and, some might say, that is totally ion the spirit of the sport!!!!!!

And before any purists say that paramotoring is not really volo libero, dont forget we are "Self Propelled Hang Gliders" and are in the same grouping as sailplanes.

Agreed Francis. Horses for courses!

If everyone used VHF..... I guess that is why I bought both for going a distance. As ever, there isn't a single answer to the question is there?

Interesting - I found a GPS/2M (Rhino) radio combined in the Garmin store in Chicago. It looked cool and a good solution.

Hi all,

Took the opportunity to visit the radio ham meeting tonight. In a nutshell they told me that the frequency 143.950 is just underneath what they call the 2 metre band which starts at 144. Serious s**t in there. Unofficially the frequency has been used for so long without any problems, a blind eye has been turned. Worse case scenario(they suggested) the radio would be confiscated. So to summarise- it IS illegal to use this frequency, but as long as people do not abuse it, I (and once again unofficially, they) cannot see any problems. I, for one, will continue to own one.

Bendme

• Like 1

I was a licenced radio ham, till i got fed up with it about 3 years ago. From what i remember, 2m radios were ilegal to use even by licenced hams on or in any aircraft.

From my experiance, after being caught with a very powerful illegal radio transmitting device!! that was causing severe interferance to several peoples radios and T.V.s upto 3 miles away on a regular basis, all that happened was the illegal equipment was conviscated, with no fines or other penalties, and they knew that i was a licenced radio ham G6 ***, so i could not pleed ignorant. So from my experiance I personally would not worry about using any form of radio 2m or other wise, just be sensible

Phat Boy (Paul)

Hi, can you help.

I recently purchased an Icom IC-24E like the one in the pic. After only a few hours of monitoring / receiving only, the battery runs low. It is brand new. Surely this can't be normal?? :(

I also had trouble with interference when using resistor plug and R plug cap NGK type but have resolved it using a Champion PRO5M which works better and is rubber which stays on the plug nice and tight.

I have a 2m Icom IC-V68 which is excellent, had it >15 years since hangliding days still works better than anything else Ive had.

Also 2m Alinco DJ-193 nice and rugged but far to complicated, keep forgetting how to work it, came with helmet bought on E-bay.

Regards

Richard Whitmarsh.

So, the choices seem to be:

An Alinco DJ 195s (2 metre radio) on 143.950 frequency

or

An ICOM IC-A6 / ICOM IC-A24 (airband radio) on 118.675 frequency

or

Both if you have the cash! Use them sensibly, don't abuse 'em and a blind eye will be turned.

:(:):D:lol:

Well, that's that sorted then :D or is it...........

Edited by Guest

"I recently purchased an Icom IC-24E like the one in the pic. After only a few hours of monitoring / receiving only, the battery runs low. It is brand new. Surely this can't be normal?? "

No, that's not normal! It's most likely a duff battery but I'd change the whole unit just incase there's a fault with the radio that's draining the battery.

The cheapest Alinco DJ195E i found is £109

http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalog/alinco-dj195e.html

The cheapest Icom IC-A6 i found (i did find this cheaper in the US but when you add import duties etc. it worked out the same)

http://www.harrymendelson.com/

This is also an interesting website for radio equipment, this is an Icom authorised main dealer, i didn't have time to price check though.

http://www.rocketradio.co.uk/handheld-462-c.asp