Removable fuel tanks

pete_b

Due to tightening up on regulations at fuel stations I have been refused at a couple of times with my paramotor tank as it is not bs rated, so the idea is good but not workable in practise.

Do you have a bailey, bulldog or other paramotor with a removable tank and have had the same problem?.

Pete

I have never had any issue with refueling the Bailey Tank. But we never normally have too :wink::D

If they ask if it to british standard say no its to aviation standards. The FAA and CAA standards are higher now fill up my tank you jumped up F****ER

I have never had any issue with refueling the Bailey Tank. But we never normally have too :wink::D

If they ask if it to british standard say no its to aviation standards. The FAA and CAA standards are higher now fill up my tank you jumped up F****ER

And do the 7-Up bottle too F***ER lol

I got to get out of here...... cheers guys have a good weekend

I can assure you that if you took anything other than an approved container to our local station they will deffo not let you fill it (if they are looking) In fact they can very quickly loose there jobs now for allowing it.

Morgy mate, The bailey tank is not aviation standard by any stretch of the imagination (it may well be up to it, but does not hold the required bits of paper we all seem to love these days..

SW :D

Chuck Norris would hold the fuel in his mouth and walk it back to the paramotor.... :shock:

..oh and I am not hiding H...

Been in a datacentre all day managing a failure ..no mobiles allowed! Couldnt resist a quick peek at the PMC forum from the console of a spare server :mrgreen:

Been playing with the idea of an app since Pre auction site.... I wanted the Auction live so that people could watch items and bid on them, as well as read and reply to posts.

The problem (as always with these things is the silly money people are charging for a simple app) so....

I am going to download the developer tool and start playing / learning it. and hopefully get it to a point where I just need help to tie up the loose ends. :-)

Anyway... this thread is about petrol tanks and I messed it up. :-(

Yes and then you hear the voice from god ! as well as the rest of the petrol station....

"Can I see your can please sir," you hold up the can, "I just have to come and have a look sir" everyone is looking at you like a dick, " your only allowed one and that plastic one is not allowed at all!!! You cant fill that thing up here!" That 'thing' was a 25l plastic Bio Fuel container.

My reply to her is not required here, but needless to say, I left feeling very happy that I made her feel at least as silly as she made me feel :-)

That happend last week to me at the Esso north bound on the A419 just outside of Swindon.

At the one just down the road, they are soooooo busy, and its massive! so you can hide in a corner and fill away... but for how long I wonder???

A crappy job I know,

But I think you may be underestimating the amount of training a petrol station attendant has to go through....

ADR, HAZ MAT CONTROL, and so on...... they know their stuff more than you do I suspect :-(

My local Sainsburys filling station are quite helpful in this respect, possibly because they are the nearest to Snetterton racing circuit.

The staff won't let you fill a 25ltr jerry can, but will point out that there's nothing to stop you filling a 5 ltr plastic can and then transferring the contents into your 25ltr jerry (or paramotor tank etc.)

That aside, I would prefer not to fill my paramotor tank directly from the pump, which might be delivering water, rust etc. along with your fuel.

I don't know much about modern 2 stroke oil, but the old stuff would sometimes leave waxy deposits when mixed, so this was best done in a seperate container before decanting the mixed fuel into the tank.

Pete.

My local Sainsburys filling station are quite helpful in this respect, possibly because they are the nearest to Snetterton racing circuit.

The staff won't let you fill a 25ltr jerry can, but will point out that there's nothing to stop you filling a 5 ltr plastic can and then transferring the contents into your 25ltr jerry (or paramotor tank etc.)

That aside, I would prefer not to fill my paramotor tank directly from the pump, which might be delivering water, rust etc. along with your fuel.

I don't know much about modern 2 stroke oil, but the old stuff would sometimes leave waxy deposits when mixed, so this was best done in a seperate container before decanting the mixed fuel into the tank.

Pete.

All good to do unless your on a long flight and need to refuel, Would not want to carry extra empty fuel containers just to mix fuel in though.

The Law

Storage of fuel at home or the workplace (unless specifically licensed) is restricted by law to either metal containers with a maximum capacity of 10 litres or approved plastic containers of a maximum 5 litres capacity. These containers should be designed for the purpose and must be fitted with a screw-cap or closure to prevent leakage of liquid or vapour.

Petrol and diesel fuel should be stored in no more than two 10 litre metal containers or two 5 litre plastic containers. They should be clearly labelled as to their contents.

Petrol filling stations operate under license conditions, which do not allow drivers to dispense fuel into other types of container.

• 2 months later...
The Law

Storage of fuel at home or the workplace (unless specifically licensed) is restricted by law to either metal containers with a maximum capacity of 10 litres or approved plastic containers of a maximum 5 litres capacity....

There is an explicit exception in 'Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982' for the "internal fuel tank of (the) vehicle"

Is a paramotor a vehicle for the purposes of the law?

Is the fuel tank of a paramotor 'internal' for the purposes of the law?

I suspect there will be no definitive answers to these questions until an incident results in a judgement in the courts.

Pete.

When I was riding my bike through Belarus and Ukraine a couple of years ago it was normal to see guys smoking a cigarette while filling up with petrol :shock:

I didn't see anybody explode though.

Apparently there isn't enough energy in a lit cigarette to ignite petrol vapour - not that I'd like to try, or for that matter, start smoking to give it a try!

I have a 20 litre plastic can (which is designed for petrol) which I leave in the back of the car while I fill it up and I don't usually have any problems. Plastic marine fuel cans are bigger than 5 litres anyway.

The Law

Storage of fuel at home or the workplace (unless specifically licensed) is restricted by law to either metal containers with a maximum capacity of 10 litres or approved plastic containers of a maximum 5 litres capacity....

There is an explicit exception in 'Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982' for the "internal fuel tank of (the) vehicle"

Is a paramotor a vehicle for the purposes of the law?

Is the fuel tank of a paramotor 'internal' for the purposes of the law?

I suspect there will be no definitive answers to these questions until an incident results in a judgement in the courts.

Pete.

No it is an Aircraft or a powered glider in the eyes of those that matter.

Fuel tank would be classed as external as you can see it, it is not inside/internal.